RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snow.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Cymruambyth

Wales 

I just can`t justify spending around...1k or whatever on winter tyres for the amount of bad weather we have and the low miles I do....plus I don`t know how long I`ll keep it yet Thumbs Up Steve.

Post #542960 Fri Dec 08 2017 8:20pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
Tyres Tyres Tyres

I am with Syl and Buckster if you have one set then standard fit m&s or all season
Mine has scorpion verdes
If you have option of two sets then maybe performance road or all terrains depending what you use it for and true winters for the colder months

But are peeps calling the standard fits summers when they are really m&s ???

Often depends what the previous owner went for
Would rather buy a car needing a new set of tyres than a just fitted set of 🍪 new tyres ...

👍 Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #542965 Fri Dec 08 2017 9:08pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

All this reminds me I need to get a set of winter tyres. While my M+S are perfectly legal for an upcoming trip, I wouldn’t be without winter tyres in ‘proper’ snow ... Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #542971 Fri Dec 08 2017 9:51pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

What are M&S? Crying or Very sad Steve.

Post #542976 Fri Dec 08 2017 11:10pm
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Some of us live in a climate where it never snows and very rarely rains. For us why do we need m&s tyres.

Post #542979 Sat Dec 09 2017 3:41am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Cymruambyth wrote:
What are M&S? Crying or Very sad

Mud & Snow. I think they have a symbol on the side. Google the tyre you've got fitted and you'll find out. Put the info on here and you'll soon get advice. I'm going to do mine actually being new to all this malarkey.

Steve.

Post #542980 Sat Dec 09 2017 5:51am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Winter tyres are also marked M+S but not all M+S are necessarily winter tyres. Winter tyres have "peaks and snowflake" symbol in addition to the M+S marking, the tread pattern is visibly quite different (to let slush, water etc. pass through more easily) to summer or all season tyres and are made from a much softer compound (to offer better grip in cold weather).

Many RRSs come with all season M&S tyres. They offer a decent compromise between road performance in dry, not-so-cold conditions and aqua-planing prevention and better grip in wet and cold. Most people here would find all season tyres to be sufficient for their needs IMHO. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #542985 Sat Dec 09 2017 8:12am
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Watch the following about M+S tyres

Post #542986 Sat Dec 09 2017 8:30am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Bit OTT but,

How to recognize a True Winter Tire

The introduction of a legal marking related to performance has made the identification of winter tires more simple. The "Alpine" symbol, or the three-peak-mountain with snowflake (‘3PMSF’) came into force in November 2012 under EU Regulation 661/2009 on the Safety of Motor Vehicles. The 3PMSF can only be used if a tire passes a minimum required performance on snow - the so called “snow grip index”.*
“Mud and Snow” (either marked as M+S, M.S or M&S) has been used to indicate winter tires for many years. Although M+S has a legal definition*, it is not related to minimum performance requirements but has been widely used by tire manufacturers to indicate winter products. M+S remains a permitted marking but while M+S tires have better snow traction than regular tires, they do not necessarily pass the legal snow grip threshold.

True winter tires, carrying both M+S and 3PSMF markings, make an important safety contribution in winter conditions, particularly for cars and vans. Goodyear EMEA* strongly recommends that cars and light commercial vehicles get fitted with four proper winter tires as the colder months approach. Indeed fitting M+S tires in the winter is obligatory in some European countries [see section below]. As legislation with the new marking progressively enters into force, national winter tire laws are likely to extend to tires with both the M+S and three peak snowflake symbols.

Cheers
Col

Post #542987 Sat Dec 09 2017 8:33am
Topsy

Wales 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi

I put Snow and Ice on mine. They tend to have a slightly more aggressive tread and are more snow orientated but still good on tarmac. (I have sold the set advertised on here so I am not trying to drum up a sale!). My only experience of normal winter tyres has been with Pirelli winters on a Jaguar, awful in the snow but, that may be more about the car being rear wheel drive and automatic (or the driver of course).

I have all seasons on a family saloon so waiting to see what happens when the snow comes!

Post #542993 Sat Dec 09 2017 9:03am
qcnr

Norway 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

Here we have no choice to change tyres, so I have a 2nd set
Of wheels with winter tyres on. The tyres I have are also fitted with
studs. As a few people have pointed out, even a 4x4 has to obey the
Laws of physics. 4x4 will not make you a better driver, just give you
More confidence untill it goes horribly wrong.

Post #542998 Sat Dec 09 2017 10:02am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I've just popped out and had a look at mine which came with the car on purchase and they are Michelin Latitude sport (255/55R20) and upon looking on the internet they are "High Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to SUV and 4x4". So this may now sow the seed of a second set as they are not even close to replacement yet.

Eaters sorry mate but I looked at your wheels previously but I'll hang out for the 5V spokes, there's a few out there. Thumbs Up

When we lived in Germany for 5 years in the 90's it was a common thing to see people driving around on steel wheels with appropriate tyres on.

Steve

Last edited by Stevepd on Sat Dec 09 2017 10:07am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #542999 Sat Dec 09 2017 10:05am
syl

United Kingdom 

I had continental winter tyres on my S Type R. They made a huge difference (with summer tyres, it wouldn't even go on the flat, never mind if there was an incline) - but fat tyres on a powerful rear wheel drive car is always going to be a bit awkward in the snow.

I expect to manage on all season M&S tyres with the RRS - but then again, I live in the South West and we don't usually get that much snow (if any). RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #543000 Sat Dec 09 2017 10:07am
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Carry a set of chains Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #543005 Sat Dec 09 2017 11:14am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Mine once slipped down a small hill and i have m+s tyres.
If driving on any road with a bit of snow you will need WINTERS. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #543009 Sat Dec 09 2017 11:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>