RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Classic Mini - advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Classic Mini - advice please

I have today retrieved my mother's 27k miles 1985 Mini 25 from the garage of the family home. Sadly Mum became a bit too old to drive it quite some years ago.

The plan is to recommission it and sell on - to a good home. I seem to recall that some of the forum members here are Mini enthusiasts so am hoping they might see this post and advise me which Mini forum is the best to join. I'm going to need technical help and good sources of spares etc.

After not being run since 2013 it started up with just a fresh battery and a splash of petrol. Everyone from the car transport company guy to my friends and neighbours have all fallen in love with this little car. There is something special about them isn't there?

Parked on my drive it looks soooooo tiny even next to my 944 Turbo which is not a large car. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #542724 Tue Dec 05 2017 6:17pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

They certainly are special little cars. I still have my 1975 1275 GT Clubman in storage. It was my first car after i passed my test around 22 years ago and one day i will restore it Whistle Not many around now!

Good luck with the recommissioning Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #542732 Tue Dec 05 2017 7:37pm
Ian.H

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black
Re: Classic Mini - advice please

Paddi wrote:
I have today retrieved my mother's 27k miles 1985 Mini 25 from the garage of the family home. Sadly Mum became a bit too old to drive it quite some years ago.

The plan is to recommission it and sell on - to a good home. I seem to recall that some of the forum members here are Mini enthusiasts so am hoping they might see this post and advise me which Mini forum is the best to join. I'm going to need technical help and good sources of spares etc.

After not being run since 2013 it started up with just a fresh battery and a splash of petrol. Everyone from the car transport company guy to my friends and neighbours have all fallen in love with this little car. There is something special about them isn't there?

Parked on my drive it looks soooooo tiny even next to my 944 Turbo which is not a large car.

They're lovely motors! I posted a thread on here a couple of years ago about one of mine which got some attention. Sadly, due to health and time, I haven't made as much progress on mine as I would have liked, but still have 2 of them sitting here (one SORN'd earlier this year as I need to do a few bits for an MOT, the other (998cc auto) in the garage awaiting full restoration. I took the engine out of my 3rd one a few months ago (the shell is written off). Not turned over since 2010, but after hauling the thing out on the front subframe (danm those things are heavy when you do it on your own on the ground!) it still turns over by hand Very Happy

I joined The Mini Forum years back. I'm not a big poster on there at all, but it seemed like a good forum and has dedicated wanted / for sale sub-forums.

Mini Spares in Potters Bar is an excellent source of parts if you want / need to buy new. Highly recommended from years of personal experience.

What condition is it in Paddi? Is it road-worthy? If so, are you planning on doing the London to Brighton in it next year? Very Happy

Cheers..

Ian

Post #542830 Wed Dec 06 2017 10:46pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

a work colleague son's are in to their minis, so i've asked to see were they get their spares from,

he also joined a club, which allowed him to send off details of his car, condition and so on, and they value you it, he was supprised at how much it had gone up since buying it and working on it

BMC club, i believe, from a text that just came back Thumbs Up

Post #542847 Thu Dec 07 2017 10:17am
Paddi

Thanks all. Just the advice I was looking for.

Envious of the 1275 GT - great cars.

To answer Ian.H's question: It's close to roadworthy - just needs tyres (currently fitted are not worn but too old to inspire confidence) and a brake overhaul as they are dragging a bit.
The engine cylinder head has not been converted to run on unleaded - I am fairly sure it needs that doing. Never bothered in the past since the use was so low (shopping once a week only on dry days!) .

Both door skins have gone at the bottom but otherwise bodywork looks great.

Not planning to keep it although everyone tells me I should. Mission creep looks inevitable. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #542857 Thu Dec 07 2017 12:46pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you have a spare few hours, watch the Binky project on YouTube.

Making a Celica GTFour powered Mini rally car. Brilliant stuff IMHO. Their CAD work is exquisite (CAD = cardboard aided design). The fabrication work is lovely. Makes me wish I could weld... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #542863 Thu Dec 07 2017 3:44pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Any photos of your mini?
I have a few friends with these little classic minis, and they always get attention. I also owned one myself many years ago. A work college has around 10 of them, all in various states of restoration. She loves the things. Laughing
Amongst her list she has...
A Pickup
A Van.
A 1275GT
A Mini 30
The list goes on.
Once you have had a proper prod around the car, you may find the rust gremlins have attacked the following vulnerable areas.
Both sills. Inner & outer.
Floor pans. Check under carpets.
Scuttle panel.
Panel under headlights.
Doors as you have already mentioned.
Sub frames, front & rear. Also check sub frame mounting points.
Before you know it, it could soon become a major restoration project. Big Cry Very interesting if you have the time patience garage space and spare money. Laughing

A few photos...

1275GT with a Cooper Sport in the background.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This on one of 3 Minis she dressed up for one of her friends wedding.

Click image to enlarge

Oh and a Mini Moke.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #543120 Sun Dec 10 2017 9:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paddi

^^ Wow, that's quite some mini obsession going on there.

Not had an opportunity to take any decent pictures owing to other commitments and of course the appalling weather.

Can't see myself getting too carried away with restoration work but we'll see how it goes. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #543177 Mon Dec 11 2017 4:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1