RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > New Shoes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
New Shoes

Well thanks to our friends across the Atlantic I decided I wanted to get some off road tyres for the Sport, in lieu of the 22s I have currently.

Basically, there's a few reasons:

1. Surprise, surprise, to go off road. Something I never did with the 22s, and 275/40 Pirelli Zero tyres....

2. Due to their size and the softer, bouncier ride relax my driving style on road, and perhaps along the way cut back on speeding tickets and and swear words ( I have a 2 & 4 year old kids Wink )

3. A better ride as the 22s were ok on smooth roads but bone jarring elsewhere, plus I never managed to eradicate the slight vibration I had with them.

So I ended up going for some serious tyres not your micky mouse 275/45R20s or simlar. I ended up with 275/55R20s Very Happy of the type Mastercraft (Read Cooper tyres) AXT All Terrains.

I've only driven 40km with them but what a revelation. The ride is sublime, even if the tyres do have quiet a lot of road noise, but, I don't mind this, they are ATs after all. Also, abso Censored lutely no vibrations between 80-120kph, so big improvement there.

Oh and they look the part, and I'd show you if I could get the photo uploaded on here or Photobucket... Censored

Guess I'll try later or tomorrow...

So more to follow...

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #542127 Wed Nov 29 2017 6:04pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Do you mean these:

Click image to enlarge

They're not exactly knobbly so I wouldn't expect anything other than a good ride. Noise is to be expected, as you say. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #542132 Wed Nov 29 2017 6:25pm
Guyzer73

RRSTDV9, you're correct they're no MTs or aggressive ATs like the BFG KO2s that I initially considered. They're more along the lines of the Cooper Zeon LTZ or Pirelli Scorpion ATR and others of the ilk.

To be honest I chose against a massively aggressive tyre as I don't need it. MTs contrary to popular belief aren't great in the sand, and there's not much mud here.

What I needed was a quality (soft) off road tyre that will cope with rocks and sand whilst having decent on road manners. The 22s and Pirelli Zeros which are standard on the newer RRs just wouldn't cope with that, or accurately would be too easily damaged.

So what tyres are you running in your avatar?

Cheers

Guy
[/img] 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #542141 Wed Nov 29 2017 6:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

In that picture they are 255/55/19 Pirelli Scorpion ATR. An excellent tyre in most situations but not quite so good in muddy conditions. I went away from them only because there were supply issues at the time. They are now LR-approved so hopefully will be easier to obtain.

I run the Grabber AT3 at the moment. Worked well in Spain on rocky tracks and is winter rated too which is useful here in chilly Blighty. Thumbs Up

I might get a second set of 19s and run both ATR and AT3 according to the time of year and use. The ATR will give better fuel mileage and a quieter ride. The AT3 would then be a winter tyre with off road abilities. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #542154 Wed Nov 29 2017 8:34pm
Guyzer73

RRSTDV8, nice set-up Thumbs Up

That's why I went with the AXTs on 20s as I can run these as my daily runners if I want and then head to the beach or hills with the family at the weekend.

This was the sensible, and loyal option, in lieu of selling the RRS and getting a lesser vehicle like a Nissan Xterra or Censored Wrangler Unlimited. Both these cars offered better off road ability but lacked in cabin refinement etc, not to mention I'd start from 0 and be modifying the things again. Something I want to avoid.

So got photos uploaded and here we are:

Old/new comparison during transition Very Happy

Now a few of them fitted in standard ride +15mm currently:

What I've noticed is that front right rubs on the front inner wheel arch liner but front left doesn't. It looks like the front right is "more tucked in" than the left so going to have a look and see if I can 'pull' it out. The difference is significant about 10-15 if I had to guess.

Other than that everything if fine and I'm hoping to get off the beaten track over the long weekend here Very Happy

Cheers

Post #542195 Thu Nov 30 2017 4:20am
Guyzer73

First family outing to a local Wadi

Tyres and Sport performed faultlessly ambling over the rocks and riverbed Very Happy

Couldn't complain about the family either Laughing

Planning another trip tomorrow to a different Wadi an hours drive away, lets see how that is.

Have a good evening all

Post #542569 Sun Dec 03 2017 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1