RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Silly season starting!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

GARYF123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Silly season starting!

Well, just as I thought I was doing well with the RRS regarding trouble free motoring, my smugness has turned round and bitten me!
As mentioned in other posts, my 'fun' started with a oil leak from one of the turbo hoses. I purchased a SGS heavy duty trolley jack and set of axle stands and got to work. I managed to tighten jubilee clip up to more or less halt the leak but will be getting it changed as soon as convenient. Whilst under the car, I noticed more oil on steel undertray. I removed the tray and had to grind 4 of the bolts off! After cleaning, it became apparent the the oil was coming from the sump/gasket. No problem I thought, Mot was due last Saturday, as soon as it gets through, will organise a service and get these jobs done at same time. I already had the amber suspension light and no raising or lowering of suspension and asked advice recently about sorting this as new AMK compressor fitted 2 years ago. Beginning to think that this service is going to be very costly!
However, the car flew through mot with no advisories last Saturday which prompted me to lift car and check the oil leaks as mentioned above. When I lowered the car from axle stands, the suspension looked to be higher in one corner so I thought it was due to jacking up high. I started engine and raised and lowered until it looked a bit more level ( parked on a sloping drive).
For some reason, I let the handbrake off and got the screeching cat noise from rear. I quickly turned off and started again and it was fine. Next morning, came to take my good lady xmas shopping and started car, let handbrake off and screeching again, this time accompanied by flashing red light and brake fault warning. Managed to lift panel and manually release the handbrake and went shopping with no handbrake and red light constantly flashing.
Does this sound like something to do with me lifting the car or does it just happen? Is it likely to be the module or just need adjusting or cleaning and is it something I can do without a diagnostic reader for setting the EPB?

Thanks,

Gary.

Post #540797 Mon Nov 13 2017 11:06pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

You need to get the brake shoes adjusted as soon as before the epb jams nothing to do with the jacking i would have thought Thumbs Up

Post #540799 Tue Nov 14 2017 7:26am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Sounds like it's already jammed...

Post #540800 Tue Nov 14 2017 7:35am
GARYF123

If it’s jammed, what does that mean?

Post #540801 Tue Nov 14 2017 7:48am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

jammed.. stuck/seized and needs fixing

Post #540805 Tue Nov 14 2017 9:36am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Needs to be released and then brakes adjusted did you have to pull the emergency released or is the car still derivable ie handbrake not stuck on if it isn't don't use it till it till the shoes get adjusted/changed Thumbs Up

Post #540806 Tue Nov 14 2017 9:47am
GARYF123

Hi Geoff, I pulled the emergency release cable and then used car for a bit but the red light was flashing and warning that no park brake was available. Tried to put it on when got home and screeching again and locked on. Wasn’t going to use it so didn’t bother with release cable again

Post #540810 Tue Nov 14 2017 11:13am
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I think you were lucky to be able to unlatch the brakes with the cable release,,,, I wasn't! . You should have taken that opportunity to have the brakes serviced and certainly not attempted to use it again until repaired for risk of causing more damage. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #540857 Tue Nov 14 2017 6:36pm
GARYF123

Hi, thanks for replies. Not sure i understand what you mean by lucky! Hardly call passing the mot at 10.00am then handbrake failing at 15.00pm lucky! Also, the emergency release is just that, a manual release. It took the shoes away from the drum hence allowing it to rotate freely. How is driving it going to cause any more damage? i didn't, like some owners, rock the car whilst using auto box to go forwards then backwards to free the shoes off. Was i so wrong in using the car and parking on level ground and using park for brake. Even local indy said they didn't need to send recovery vehicle out and i would be fine driving it there!"

Post #540903 Wed Nov 15 2017 12:20am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I maybe wrong here but I think gogsy meant you were lucky that the release cable worked, quite often they don't judging by previous posts from members.

Cheers
Col

Post #540904 Wed Nov 15 2017 5:13am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

The assumption was not to use it after it squealed initially, and have it repaired before using the EPB again, so the emergency release wasn't needed

Post #540910 Wed Nov 15 2017 7:46am
GARYF123

Hi, I understand that in an ideal world, as soon as the screech occurs, the car would be raised, stripped, cleaned and adjusted. But what I am trying to get my head round is what is the implication of me using the manual release, and how does that complicate me just stripping, adjusting etc now?
Does the manual release being operated knacker the module?

Gary.

Post #540914 Wed Nov 15 2017 8:39am
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

As Dm and Col noted,, my comment was more towards not using the Epb until it was sorted,, not so much the car. I was unfortunate to be in your position a few months ago on the morning I was travelling to the airport, Epb jammed, emergency release did not work had to get it trailered to an indie,, even cutting the cables would not release the rakes. Cost me new Epb, discs, pads, shoes etc so to be honest I still think your lucky!.
If you continue to be lucky yours should be fixable without too much expense. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #540915 Wed Nov 15 2017 8:53am
Roy_RRS

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I had the same thing on my TDV6, only a week apart. It went through MOT fine, pulled up at a petrol station a week later to find the E park brake had jammed on solid. Same screeching noise as yours was doing.

When I got mine to a local independent garage, they told me that 9/10 the module cannot be reset... So I ended up with new discs/pads/shoes and module for £1100 Crying or Very sad

Post #540918 Wed Nov 15 2017 9:43am
GARYF123

Ok, late update!
Drove car to local Indy. They stripped, cleaned & adjusted and reset with diagnostic unit.
At same time, had leaking sump & gasket replaced, new air suspension pipes & filter (pipe which goes up back of tailgate was missing!) and as this didn't remove the amber warning light, a new AMK compressor to replace my 'old' 2 year old AMK compressor!
A large (10 year?) service including gearbox, diff and transfer oils. No gearbox flush as new gearbox & engine 2 years ago.
Total cost £1778.00!

Post #543327 Thu Dec 14 2017 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>