RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Heater temps seem a bit odd
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Smarttech

United Kingdom 
Heater temps seem a bit odd

I have a 2012 RRS which I've had for about 10 months now. The other night it was cold so turned the heater up to 28 and it soon became warm so backed it down to 25 and it started to feel cool in the car, back to 28 and hot air coming out the vents on both sides of the car turn down to 25 and again the temp of the air coming out of the vents felt more like I had put it on to 18 degrees
Has anyone else had any issues with heater temps ? 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #540041 Thu Nov 02 2017 10:48pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Rolling with laughter I used to work in an office where the girls used the room thermostat like that - they never understood why it was always too hot or too cold. I tried to explain but was wasting my time.

As for your car - it sounds normal. There is absolutely no point in turning up the thermostat expecting the interior temp to increase more quickly. If you turn it up to 28 it will quite quickly get to 28, which is too hot. If you then turn it down to 25 the climate control will invoke the air conditioning to cool the interior - which is why you feel cold air coming out of the vents.

Just set the temperature you want and leave the temp control alone.

No woman I have ever met understands this. On getting into a cold car they will always turn the thermostat up to max in the belief this will heat the car up more quickly then when it is sweltering they will turn it right down and so the cycle of hot and cold continues. Just to make things worse they also switch the fan blower off because they don't like the draught up their skirt.
This just makes the time taken to reach the selected temperature longer. Do not try to explain why they are doing it wrong - it will only start an argument. Same applies to switching on the headlights before starting the engine. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #540068 Fri Nov 03 2017 1:08pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Thumbs Up Embarassed Whistle Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #540161 Sat Nov 04 2017 8:11pm
HughN

Wales 

Paddi wrote:
No woman I have ever met understands this. On getting into a cold car they will always turn the thermostat up to max in the belief this will heat the car up more quickly then when it is sweltering they will turn it right down and so the cycle of hot and cold continues. Just to make things worse they also switch the fan blower off because they don't like the draught up their skirt.
This just makes the time taken to reach the selected temperature longer. Do not try to explain why they are doing it wrong - it will only start an argument. Same applies to switching on the headlights before starting the engine.

I was discussing this in a pub last year. Several people were amazed that the thermostat in the hall of our house is the actual thermostat controlling the heating - it seems common practice to have a decoy thermostat (to be mucked about with) and have the real thermostat in a cupboard.

The temp in my car has been set to 20 C since I bought it.[/i]

Post #540166 Sat Nov 04 2017 9:25pm
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

It was nothing to do with turning it up high to try and warm it up quicker. I had been outside for longer than expected so turned it up high to warm myself up but once I had warmed up I turned it down 3 degrees and got cold air blowing out at me when set to 25 degrees.
Been out in the car today and at 22 degrees it was blowing warm air so not sure what was going on with it the other night.
My parents borrowed it the other day and said the heater seemed fine all the time they were using it.

So I'm thinking it was just having a funny turn and will be ok from now on. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior

Post #540171 Sat Nov 04 2017 10:16pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Read what paddi said you jumped in your car and turned the heating up to high ie 28, the reaches that setting you then turn it down to 25 so the car introduces the cold air to drop the temp down to 25 as quickly as poss.
Dangerous ground there paddi, but true offen have this conversation with the wife as she turns the heater to max with a cold engine Very Happy 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Last edited by Camelrock on Sun Nov 05 2017 8:04am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #540175 Sat Nov 04 2017 11:00pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Paddi wrote:
Rolling with laughter I used to work in an office where the girls used the room thermostat like that - they never understood why it was always too hot or too cold. I tried to explain but was wasting my time.

As for your car - it sounds normal. There is absolutely no point in turning up the thermostat expecting the interior temp to increase more quickly. If you turn it up to 28 it will quite quickly get to 28, which is too hot. If you then turn it down to 25 the climate control will invoke the air conditioning to cool the interior - which is why you feel cold air coming out of the vents.

This just makes the time taken to reach the selected temperature longer. Do not try to explain why they are doing it wrong - it will only start an argument. Same applies to switching on the headlights before starting the engine.

Just wanted to add my Support to Paddi’s comments. I’ve been through all this and came to the same conclusion. Just not worth arguing with “better” half about thermostats. It just raises the temperature Very Happy Thumbs Up Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #540177 Sat Nov 04 2017 11:22pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Paddi wrote:

Am I right in thinking if the "Econ" button is pressed, that stops the air con from coming on? Steve.

Post #540191 Sun Nov 05 2017 9:10am
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

No the Eco button just means the aircon won't run as much but it still cuts in and out. I dont have the eco button in mine, I'm guessing you do with the earlier dash. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior

Post #540194 Sun Nov 05 2017 9:29am
Cymruambyth

Wales 

Ah right, ok. Yeah I have it in mine. Steve.

Post #540195 Sun Nov 05 2017 9:30am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

From the manual:

"With the engine running, press the button (7) to put the air conditioning system into Economy mode. This turns off the air conditioning compressor which reduces the power consumed by the system and system performance. Prolonged use may cause the windows to mist."

So I understand this to mean that its like an old car heater system. Still provides heated or cool air (depending upon the temperature setting) but not "conditioned" so not cooled below ambient outside temperature or de-humidified. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #540209 Sun Nov 05 2017 1:18pm
Cymruambyth

Wales 

That's what I read Smile Steve.

Post #540211 Sun Nov 05 2017 1:48pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

The Eco button turns off the AC that's all. Heating and everything else works just the same as it would normally.

Post #540266 Mon Nov 06 2017 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1