RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > What should be Underneath the windscreen scuttle panel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
What should be Underneath the windscreen scuttle panel

Folks has anybody got a photo of what should be underneath the plastic scuttle panel.

I have a water leak on the passenger side that I think is coming in via the cabin filter appeture. After last nights heavy rain the carpet is soiled but the foot Matt is dry. The cabin air filter closest to the a pillar was holding water. The sound deadening around the fan motor is wet.

I've recently had a windscreen change but it's water tight. So I'm trying to establish if some plastic tub bins is missing and what I should see if I remove the windscreen wipers and scuttle panel. The windscreen guy put a bead of sealant around the upper and two sides to stop water getting in.

Also another thought is that it's always had a leak but buying it in the summer it's only becoming apparent now?

RRS 2006 2.7 HSE with a heated screen.

Steve.

Post #540126 Sat Nov 04 2017 2:18pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Before you start stripping down your vehicle have you checked that the sunroof drains are not blocked? This can sometimes result in a wet carpet in the passengers or drivers footwell.

The end drains, which come out in the wheel arch, block up with bits of crud and dirt but are easy to clear.

Jim

Post #540128 Sat Nov 04 2017 2:35pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Steve,
To answer your direct question - you'll find that under the scuttle panel on the passenger's side their is an upward facing rectangular opening where air is drawn in to the heating and ventilation system.

There is a known problem whereby the scuttle panel (which is held on by a series of plastic clips) either distorts or one or more of the clips is missing, broken or not pushed fully home. This allows water to pass between the scuttle panel and the windscreen and fall directly into the air intake opening. Easily checked.

The recommended fix is to inspect the clips to see if they are broken, missing or not pushed home or if the rubber gasket on the clip is missing. Quick temporary fix is a length of tape along the joint between screen and scuttle cover. Maybe get the windscreen fitter back to do it properly.

A picture worth a thousand words and all that:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=discover...QR3J50IBM: 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #540136 Sat Nov 04 2017 3:59pm
garrycol

Australia 

Water cannot get into the cabin from under the scuttle - it does not seal against the body - you can drive around without it and will make no difference - the scuttle cover is just for show.

If no sunroof - the water will be coming in through holes in the windscreen pillar where the pillar trim pushes on. There is a LR advisory on this which basically says to use sealant/tape where the retaining fittings are for the trim. I had this problem and used gaffa tape and or sealant on the prongs that push into the pillar.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #540183 Sun Nov 05 2017 2:27am
Stevepd

Thanks everybody for your quick replies. When I had the windscreen checked the second fitter noted that the first fitted had not bunged up the holes, which he did so I know that's been done. I'm going with Paddi's - the ill fitting scuttle theory so this morning in the light I'm going to have a good look and get a decent seal first, plan b will be O level craft and get a bottle cut to make a shelf Thumbs Up

Steve (praying for a dry day) Big Cry

Post #540184 Sun Nov 05 2017 7:09am
Paddi

garrycol wrote:
Water cannot get into the cabin from under the scuttle - it does not seal against the body - you can drive around without it and will make no difference - the scuttle cover is just for show.

If no sunroof - the water will be coming in through holes in the windscreen pillar where the pillar trim pushes on. There is a LR advisory on this which basically says to use sealant/tape where the retaining fittings are for the trim. I had this problem and used gaffa tape and or sealant on the prongs that push into the pillar.

Garry

Sorry Garry old chap but unless export spec vehicles are different you are wrong about the scuttle cover. There is even a TSB about it. The TSB covers several sources of water leaks including the pillar trim problem for which there is a repair kit available.

Steve,
Hope you get it sorted today. Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #540196 Sun Nov 05 2017 9:43am
garrycol

Australia 

Well I can only relate my own experiences - the seal on my scuttle is greatly buckled due to our UV and as such has lifted a few cm above the lower windscreen in a number of places - water runs straight down the windscreen through the holes into the plenum area under the scuttle - no water gets into my car.

So I guess our cars are better than your cars. But then I looked at the pics you posted up and saw all the rust so maybe that is where the water gets in through all the rust holes in the metal work under the scuttle - rust in RRS's here is not an issue. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #540203 Sun Nov 05 2017 10:55am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Paddi wrote:

Sorry Garry old chap but unless export spec vehicles are different you are wrong about the scuttle cover. There is even a TSB about it. The TSB covers several sources of water leaks including the pillar trim problem for which there is a repair kit available.

Steve,
Hope you get it sorted today. Thumbs Up

Technical Bulletin LTB00034 Passenger Compartment Water Ingress, consists of eight pages. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #540204 Sun Nov 05 2017 11:01am
Paddi

Thanks Col, I've a copy of that TSB somewhere in my files and it sure doesn't mention anything about rust! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Incidentally your car looks great. I hope she is enjoying life in the sub tropics. Over here it is just getting to that worst time of year, cold, miserable and the ghastly Christmas ads have started to run. Thinking of bu******g off to the Alps for a few weeks to avoid Xmas or winterval or whatever we are supposed to call it these days.Bah humbug. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #540223 Sun Nov 05 2017 4:43pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Hi Paddi,

Thanks for that, 27/28 degrees at moment, Cool and not summer time yet till next month. Can't believe been here just over a year already. Sheep

Cheers
Col

Post #540243 Sun Nov 05 2017 7:52pm
Stevepd

Thanks for the info Paddi, sealed the lip above the VIN area that was lifted and after yesterdays rain the car is bone dry Thumbs Up

Steve.

Post #540359 Wed Nov 08 2017 12:45pm
Paddi

Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #540377 Wed Nov 08 2017 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1