Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > CAN I ADD 22" ALLOYS TO THE NEW PLUG IN HYBRID
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsfan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
CAN I ADD 22" ALLOYS TO THE NEW PLUG IN HYBRID

Hello All

I noticed when i ordered my my17 rrs atb that if i had chosen the 7 seat option that the maximum size for the alloys was 21". is it possible to still change those to 22" oem alloys as i am thinking of buying the new plug in hybrid but it states that you can only order the car with 21" wheels.

Does any member know what will happen if i change to 22" does it affect the car in any way as i am was thinking of asking the dealer to order the car as is but then swap the wheels with my cars 22"

Thanks

Post #537294 Wed Oct 04 2017 4:15pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC if you spec the 22" OEM (my car has them from the factory) then there are tiny lips on the rear wheel arches to cover where the bigger wheels very slightly stick out of the wheel arches. HOWEVER, what you do after delivery of the car I'm sure would take only an anorak like me to notice that your car were illegal! I too would like the new PHEV, HSE Dynamic in Velocity Blue........... and hate all the new wheel designs. I have a spare set of SVR 21" wheels at home with Winter tyres just put on them but would consider putting them on my current car to swap out the used 22" Style 507's to the new one!
Great minds and all that stuff! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #537307 Wed Oct 04 2017 5:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rrsfan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Thanks for replying but do you think it would affect the car in any way. What do you think is the reason you cannot have 22" on either the plug in or the 7 seat combination ? Will the tyres rub against the wheel arch for instance ?

Post #537321 Wed Oct 04 2017 5:46pm
Tim in Scotland

The wheels cannot rub in the arches as I cannot see LR fitting smaller ones just for 7 seater cars as they have airsuspension that self levels the car. For the Hybrid it could be something to do with the regenerative braking system that charges the batteries when you slow down. The only other thing I can think of is that the vehicle weight with either two large adults in the boot seats or the weight of the batteries in the PHEV is too much for the vehicle weight permitted on the 22" tyres or the wheels cannot take the loading. I would have love it had LR been smart enough to have offered a solar panel roof option to charge the batteries when parked up. There was an interetsing item in Autocar a couple of weeks back about the amazing amount of charge their Prius PHEV which has roof mounted panels instead of a panoramic roof was able to recharge itself just sitting for a week in an airport car park - they were able to get 13 free miles worth of charge from 4 days parked up at the airport. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #537353 Wed Oct 04 2017 8:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Its pretty much down to tyre loading - the 21 tyre has a higher load capability over the M&S 22".

Be wary of going down that particular route of fitting 22"s

For instance; If you fitted 22"s and had an accident attributed to tyre stability, do you think the insurance would pay out?

Post #537403 Thu Oct 05 2017 11:19am
waggers

United Kingdom 

I've looked at the 2016/17 brochure (RANGE-ROVER-SPORT_tcm295-140482) for the RRS SDV6 ATB DYN and there is a 22" style "504" option for the hybrid listed so this would suggest it is possible to fit 22" alloys....

Steve

Post #548802 Fri Feb 16 2018 10:23am
Tim in Scotland

I have read somewhere that if you change a PHEV’s wheels from what the car was homologated with then there are BIK and loss of tax allowances if the car is run with bigger wheels............... Don’t quote me and I don’t remember where I saw it but I thought it was a very odd rule........ it applies to any PHEV or EV that you claim BIK on as a company car, not just RRS PHEV. Maybe the tax accountants among the membership might know something. Ir won’t have any implications for a private owner though as you don’t have tax advantages (or not!) for having a company car 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #548823 Fri Feb 16 2018 4:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1