RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Upgrading logic7, any advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Scrumpy

United Kingdom 
Upgrading logic7, any advice?

I know this has been mentioned in previous posts but I'm looking for some advice possibly from other people that have successfully changed their factory fitted head unit that has the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system and still keep the 4x4/nav screen working (I know I will lose the sound on the sat nav but I won't be using it anyway).
It's very confusing as some people say it can't be done, some installers don't want to know and yet there are a few people that have done it. I've also been quoted between £1,600 and £3,000 for supply an fit!

I'm going to bite the bullet and attempt it and try and provide a guide to others along the way (if it works!).
In principle it seems straightforward enough especially as Incartec provide a bypass loom for the Logic 7 system.

From my understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected) I will need to keep part of the original head unit connected and hidden behind the dash somewhere and Incartec provide these handy instructions for this procedure. This is to maintain the clock feature and other essentials https://incartec.blob.core.windows.net/instructions/29-712.pdf

I will also need to keep the Logic 7 amp (under the drivers seat) connected to power but will need an additional amp to power the subwoofer. I'm not sure yet where to install this additional amp yet.

This is my current shopping list including a Pioneer AVH-Z5000DABS head unit with Apple CarPlay,CD,BT,USB,DAB etc etc.
Logic7 Fitting kit https://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=5158
Subwoofer amp https://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=5209
Pioneer AVH-Z5000DAB http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units...usb-system

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated especially by anyone that has attempted this before.
The car is a 2005 RRS 4.2 SC and it has factory rear entertainment pack (which should still work as it it is controlled from the 4x4 screen).
Fingers crossed, I'll try and keep a log of the procedure with pics and hopefully will be attempting it this weekend.

Thanks people! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #535871 Tue Sep 19 2017 9:56am
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Scrumpy,

I've done something very similar HERE.

From what I can see you have everything you need. The SW amp can be installed under the rear seat base, there's plenty of space there.

I presume you will be using the built in Amp of the Pioneer to power the other speakers and bypass the HK amp? Except to the front dashboard speaker which will not be used. I never connected the rear subs as I felt the volume from the stereo amp was sufficient. Still undecuded but considering it's been a few months since the original install and I'm not missing the bass I doubt I'll install an additional amp for the rear subs now.

To be honest just follow the InCarTec instructions and you'll be fine. It'll take some patience wiring everything up but it does work. Gary has always been helpful if you drop them an email.

I'm sure others will pop along with their comments and advise.

Good Luck

Guy

Others have done this also but with a 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #535874 Tue Sep 19 2017 11:18am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Thanks Guy, that is really helpful and yes I will use the amp from the new head unit as that should be sufficient.

I have followed your project closely but let's be honest, what you are doing is like putting a man on Mars compared to what I am attempting!!! Very impressive and you must have the patience of a saint!!

Putting the subwoofer amp under the rear seats seems like a good idea so think i will go with that, thanks for the suggestion.

Also, as you say, I have found the guys at Incartec to be really helpful, even throwing in some power cable and additional wiring diagrams. They seem to know their stuff which comes from them actually designing and making the looms.

You have boosted my confidence in tackling this job, especially where others have said "it's impossible"!

Thanks again for your advice.

Mark 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #535882 Tue Sep 19 2017 12:13pm
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Premium Audio System

I have the Premium Audio System (aka HK Logic 7) system and RSE system in my 2010 TDV8. The sound quality from the system is average - nothing to write home about and certainly not worth the huge sum it cost to specify as an option.
Your upgrade does not include the speakers which is probably the most important aspect of an upgrade. I suspect the speakers installed at the factory are very average - read cheap and probably wont handle much of an upgrade.

So even if you upgrade the head end and amps your going to need to upgrade the speakers to get any benefit.

There are lots of speakers to replace:
- centre dash speaker.
- front door speakers.
- rear passenger door speakers.
- rear roof speakers above the rear seats.
- subwoofers in the tail gate.

Before you spend any money on hardware I would replace the factory speakers with some decent units and install dynamat and check out the result, otherwise you will be spending a lot of money and stress without getting a postive result.

Post #535893 Tue Sep 19 2017 5:25pm
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Subwoofer Amp Under Rear Seat

I forgot to add, I would be reluctant to place a subwoofer amp under the rear seat as there is no ventilation to that area and it may trip out under thermal overload. The other thing to consider is placement of the subwoofer speakers. In a box they take up a lot of space (and there is not a lot in the rear of the RRS) and the tail gate does not really work with real subwoofer speakers (not the pretend type they fit from the factor).

Post #535896 Tue Sep 19 2017 5:34pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The OP may not be upgrading the headunit for sound quality.

They may want, bluetooth, more MP3 storage, touch screen, navigation.etc. You get the idea.

Factory speakers maybe ok for them.

In any case, I didn't think these were used after upgrade anyway?

- centre dash speaker.
- rear roof speakers above the rear seats.
- subwoofers in the tail gate. (well if you fit separate amp)

Post #535910 Tue Sep 19 2017 7:39pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Thanks all for your replies.
Meiang, you raise some valid points about the speakers that i hadn't considered but as Andy points out, that perhaps I should have mentioned, I am really only upgrading for better connectivity, ie BT, iPod, iPhone, touchscreen etc and for a more modern look.
I'm not an audiophile by any standards and have found the factory speakers to be more than enough for my needs.
The point about the positioning of the amp is definitely worth reconsidering and that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for before getting stuck in!

Thanks again 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #535963 Wed Sep 20 2017 10:00am
RobP

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Have a look at my install thread here
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46672.html

I went for a tiny Pioneer Class D amp for the subs and it amazing TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #536115 Thu Sep 21 2017 9:05pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Thanks Rob,

That is exactly what I am trying to do and helps a lot!

My subwoofer amp looks bigger than the one you used so not sure I can fit it in the same place but will find out today.

Cheers 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #536242 Sat Sep 23 2017 11:39am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the advice.

I finally attempted it at the weekend. It took me and a mate 12 hours!!!!!

But it worked first time Bow down I don't know where we would have started if it didn't work!

Here's a few pics, not very manual like but I was a bit preoccupied. I can't believe how many wires are in this car.

I started by disconnecting battery, removing trim around stereo and then removed gear stick and centre console (being careful to see where all the connectors went).
Then removed air con controls (below head unit) and parking warning and hazard controls (above head unit) and the old head unit itself.
To keep the 4x4 info screen and rear entertainment pack controls and clock, I stripped down the old head unit, removed the heatsink and circuit board and reassembled the circuit board and heatsink, reconnected it to original loom and hid it in the gap behind the head unit. (This apparently is really important to keep the clock and other functions)
Next step was to start connecting up the Incartec kit FK-853-6 to bypass the Logic 7 amp to the original loom and remaining head unit as well as the fibre optic extension lead.
Then came the hardest part, running the cables to the Logic 7 amp under the drivers seat and then from the Logic 7 amp under the drivers seat to the new subwoofer amp that I put under the rear passenger seat behind driver.
This bit was such a pig! For such a big car there are no where to run and hide cables, we ended up stripping most of the car out!
Once this was done and subwoofer (hidden in the rear tailgate drivers side) was connected we then installed the DAB windscreen antenna which, by it's design was tricky as it needs to be mounted on the glass but also have contact with bare metal so we took a gamble and mounted it on the top passenger side of windscreen whilst rubbing back some paint on the pillar where the passenger side airbag goes!!!! Very nervous doing this!!! We also ran the cable and mounted the microphone above the rear view mirror.
Final part before connecting it all up as to drill hole in upper glove box right hand side to get the male/female USB lead in there and connected to new head unit.
Finally installed head unit and connected it all up, plugged in the T lead to the Logic 7 amp and reconnected the battery.
Stopped for a beer and to calm our nerves then turned ignition on......
And everything worked!!!
I'm really pleased, now I can connect my iPod, iPhone, USB, DVD, CD, MP3, BT, DAB and also have AppleCarPlay and Siri and Maps is amazing. Can even stream music from my iPhone over Bluetooth. it is Censored awesome!!!!!
If I had to do it again (I never want to do it again) I reckon we could do it in 5 hours now we know what we're doing. Thumbs Up

Removed centre console

Click image to enlarge

old head unit with trim and centre console removed

Logic 7 amp connections
Click image to enlarge

Passenger side rear panel, not sure why we stripped this off!
Click image to enlarge

Driver side rear panel, not sure why we stripped this but it looks interesting in there!
Click image to enlarge

Old head unit removed
Click image to enlarge

New wiring loom in
Click image to enlarge

New head unit fitted
Click image to enlarge

Da da!!!!!
Click image to enlarge

Even got a LR logo
Click image to enlarge

4X4 screen working
Click image to enlarge

If anyone wants to do this, let me know and I'll try and talk you through it.

Edit; Btw, we found a secret cubby hole in the floor between the rear seats and the tool tray in the boot (you can see in the pictures). You lift up the flush floor panel and there's a carpeted "tray" probably for keeping your shotguns in!! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #536521 Tue Sep 26 2017 10:06pm
DEVON

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Looks good as Scrumpy
Well done Thumbs Up

Post #536523 Tue Sep 26 2017 10:43pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Cheers Devon!!!

BTW, Still got my tail lights thanks to you! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #536524 Tue Sep 26 2017 11:03pm
DEVON

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

No problem
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #536526 Tue Sep 26 2017 11:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1