RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 7' and 6'6 bollards in London
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

smacky

7' and 6'6 bollards in London

Hi

I am contemplating a newish RRS ('16 or '66 plate) but concerned by the prevalent use of width restricting bollards on the streets in London. My area in north London has some rather narrow bollards which state a 6'6 width.

Any Londoners on this forum that can confirm if the new shape RRS will fit?

Thanks,
Smacky

Post #535385 Thu Sep 14 2017 6:54pm
Nowaytk

England 

Can confirm it does fit, but glad I've got the 20" wheels as it only takes a small misjudgement to nudge the kerb, I'm sure the 6'6" ones aren't round my way, maybe the posts are but the kerbs at the bottom, seem like 5'6" Laughing 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #535421 Fri Sep 15 2017 5:57am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

There are too many of those in my surrounding areas and I try to avoid them when possible. As above, it does fit 6'6" width restrictions and I've never had issues with bollards (sometimes have to fold the mirrors) but the kerbs are a different story and do seem ridiculously narrow. Many have been created just where the road is bending which makes the task of navigating through them several times more difficult. I don't get it because the road is perfectly straight just before and after the restriction which could have been better for placing the restriction. I have kerbed my 21" diamond cut alloys by rubbing against restricted width kerbs a few times. Sometime the kerbs are so high that I'm sure 20" or even 19" wheels (if you can get them on RRS2) won't be spared either. I just feel it is a conspiracy to get us all in Micras. It is tough no matter how careful and slow you are. I wish I had gone for surround cameras to be able to see exactly where each wheel was because the margin for error is tiny. Glad I have alloy wheel insurance though. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #535423 Fri Sep 15 2017 6:28am
smacky

Thanks for your replies. I had not accounted for the kerb width. The RRS we're after comes with 22" wheels which makes this even more of a questionable purchase. My wife is already nervous going between those bolards in our current car, so it's looking very doubtful!

Post #535439 Fri Sep 15 2017 7:59am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

We've had 2 old shape RRSs before the current one and they also struggled a bit but not to this extent. The newer shape is based on full fat RR chassis and is wider. I actually notice less space is left between the car and the lines on either side when parking in the same car park bays where I used to park my older model RRS.

I didn't mean to put you off but it is a problem if you want to keep your wheels in perfect condition all the time. I now bother much less about it than I used to and just accept it as part of ownership. Never done structural damage to the wheels though, only cosmetic. I get them refurbished using my tyre and wheel insurance every now and then. However, a better option would be to get surround cameras (if you can put up with those behind you getting frustrated due to your slow passing) because prevention is better than cure.

Does the car you are considering have surround cameras? Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #535442 Fri Sep 15 2017 8:35am
smacky

No surround cameras in the one we have seen so far.

Super useful advice. Thanks!

Post #535443 Fri Sep 15 2017 8:40am
Nowaytk

England 

I used to have the surround cameras in a evoque I had, and found that I either forgot to turn them on, when I did remember couldn't be bothered due to the long winded way to turn them on, or as fkarim mentioned felt too conscious about the long line of vehicles waiting behind waiting for me 🙄,
Had the evoque nearly 3 years with the 20" wheels and didn't kerb them once, but had a few oh c**p! Moments when I feared the worst, and for that reason glad I went with the 20's on the sport 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone

Post #535516 Fri Sep 15 2017 6:57pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Surround cameras are excellent for off road use, and parking in some places. Thumbs Up

I've had no problems in a certain parts of London (visiting bruv) with both 6', 6'6" and 7' gaps between the posts, (Boreham Wood and Barnet way) I often have to put in the door mirrors though. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Sat Sep 16 2017 12:55pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #535519 Fri Sep 15 2017 7:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

No surround cameras but you can always set the wing mirrors to show the kerbing and then add that setting as M3 on the seat and mirror memory............. not useful for the front wheels but at least you can see how far off the kerb you are at the drivers and passengers doors without opening a window. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #535520 Fri Sep 15 2017 7:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nowaytk

England 

Johnski, you are so right, recently done the factory and off road thing and although never really thought about the surround cameras for use of going off road, had them on all the time and distinctly remember, wow, sooo useful, why haven't I used them all the time before Shocked
So, if anyone was thinking of going off road in theirs, I would definitely say got to have them, 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone

Post #535534 Fri Sep 15 2017 8:15pm
espy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I recently had a close encounter with this beauty in Tilbury.

Click image to enlarge

I'm sure that it was specifically designed to tals lumps out of Range Rover wheels.

It may be 7 feet at the widest but much narrower in the chicane. How do these things ever get approved.

Post #535542 Fri Sep 15 2017 9:00pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I agree the one in this photo is narrow and doesn't look like 7' but isn't actually too bad. If your tyres climb the sloped part of the kerb you will immediately know and can adjust steering accordingly before any damage is done. The vertical/straight ones are worse because you hit them wheel first and the damage is already done before you can adjust. Bendy ones are the worst because you can't align the car before going in. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #535558 Sat Sep 16 2017 7:36am
SRE

Spain 

Never mind the wheels, this would take the doors off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...d-car.html In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #535561 Sat Sep 16 2017 8:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1