RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Which combined dashcam/speed camera warning device?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

mikef

United Kingdom 
Which combined dashcam/speed camera warning device?

I currently have a Road Angel Halo front and rear dashcam system in my 2014 RRS plus a separate Road Angel Gem speed camera warning device. Both units have worked faultlessly. My new RRS is coming next month and I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade the system if possible. What I would really like is a combined front dashcam/ speed camera warning device which is unobtrusive enough to mount behind the rear view mirror together with a similarly unobtrusive rear camera

There are a few combined front dashcam/speed warning devices on the market but none that I could find with a rear dashcam in the system. Also I have had several Road Angel camera warning devices and they work very well including the constant updating facility and I wouldnt want to lose that kind of capability in a combined unit

Anyone got a recommendation? Also can anyone recommend an installer in or near South Bucks?

Post #535367 Thu Sep 14 2017 5:51pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

"Anyone got a recommendation?"

Drive within the legal speed limits?????

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #535372 Thu Sep 14 2017 6:17pm
ikeysolomon

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Adriatic Blue

God I hope I don't get stuck behind you.

Post #536050 Wed Sep 20 2017 11:05pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Well this thread didnt help me much did it Rolling Eyes

Post #536052 Wed Sep 20 2017 11:11pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Thinkware make dual dashcams with speed camera alerts Thumbs Up

I have the F750 (upgraded firmware to F770) in my Mitsubishi and F770 in my Lexus on recommendation of others and I'm a lot happier with them than the 3 previous faulty Blackvue I had in my RRSs. You also get free speed camera updates for life from their website Cool

I try very hard to obey the speed limits but like the alerts as a reminder because even I'm not perfect all the time Embarassed

I did have an issue with Thinkware GPS lock on my DS due to windscreen but resolved it eventually with some repositioning Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #536066 Thu Sep 21 2017 8:51am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Thanks muddywheels just the sort of info I was looking for

For the record I also do not habitually speed. But I also happen to believe that the speed camera network in the UK has very little to do with safety and far more to do with revenue generation. Since I do not wish to risk partaking in this cash extraction scheme, I have speed camera warning devices in my vehicles

Post #536072 Thu Sep 21 2017 10:28am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I also concur with Muddywheels for the F770 model. Thumbs Up
I think Tim in Scotland has this too. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #536073 Thu Sep 21 2017 11:11am
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

The new MY RRS (If that's what you are waiting for) has a speed camera alert built into the ICTP. Very Happy Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #536076 Thu Sep 21 2017 12:17pm
kmpowell

I've been thinking of a dashcam for quite a while, but none have really cut my OCD mustard. But I'm liking the look of the F770!

Any pics of it in situ front and back? it looks a big unit!?! SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #536078 Thu Sep 21 2017 12:40pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I also have the F770 (taken out of my last car and haven't got round to fitting in the RRS yet Embarassed ). It is bulkier than say a BlackVue, and you have to remember that it needs the GPS and regular updates re speed camera's, which is fixed sites and areas that mobile camera's have been known to frequent. With the fixed sites, it will give you a couple of warnings before you get to them, albeit in a rather annoying American voice.
Picture quality is good, and you can set the level at which it will shut down if the battery gets low when you are away from the car.
I am reasonably confident that it will fit out of sight of the driver under the rear view mirror. I had an option connector on my last car, but need some piggy back fuse connectors to hard wire it.

Post #536086 Thu Sep 21 2017 2:18pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

I have a Thinkware X500

Whilst basically ok it has two problems:

1. Volume is too low, even at maximum it is quiet and my Autobiography is not a noisy car
2. Mobile traffic camera alerts cannot be turned off. You can either have all alerts on or all alerts off, not selective alerts. Therefore in some areas (like the south east UK) EVERY location where the police once set up a mobile radar trap gives you an alert. Therefore the thing is bleating away continuously. For example the M4 from Junction 15 (Swindon) to Junction 17 (Chippenham). The Wiltshire constabulary once used to have a mobile trap that moved around this stretch daily, it therefore bleats away for the whole motorway stretch which is completely annoying. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #536088 Thu Sep 21 2017 3:08pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I've had the Thinkware in the DS and the Mitsubishi and they're not visible from the drivers seat being behind the mirror which is handy for catching out mechanics Wink

They're a bit more visible to people outside the vehicle but I see that as more of a deterrent Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #536089 Thu Sep 21 2017 3:16pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I agree the alerts can be a bit annoying but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the reminder - the volume on F750 and F770 is fine for me

I've piggybacked into fuses for tidy installation and parking recording Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #536091 Thu Sep 21 2017 3:19pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I've got a Thinkware F770. What I like is that its got both front and rear cameras, and the safety camera alert in one unit. Easy enough to install yourself although a more professional fit would perhaps be a bit neater. I wouldn't call, it unobtrusive however - the front box is a reasonable size and you can't locate it right behind the mirror or the front lens would have to peer through the checkerboard effect on the windscreen reducing clarity of vision and recording. And similarly the rear camera, should really be low enough to see through the area swept by the rear wiper (mines a bit too high in the photo) or you will again loose clarity of vision and recording. Personally I'd prefer that villains see it and decide to go elsewhere. I'm not out to catch them - I don't want them to start in the first place. Laughing I plan to have a go at hiding the rear wire a bit more, but there is the deterrent effect because its on show. The front camera has the option to turn on a series of outward facing LEDs to help with the deterrent effect. The rear camera also has a small blue light so again its not hidden.
The mobile camera warnings are a pain but you get used to them, and you can of course turn them all off. Biggest niggle for me is the fact that the buttons would have been better if slightly illuminated so that they can be seen. This is not a show stopper but when you are asked to reformat the SD card (about every two weeks) its a pain to find the right button.
See some pics here...
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45687....p;start=15 Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #536100 Thu Sep 21 2017 5:07pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Oldandconfused wrote:
and you have to remember that it needs the GPS and regular updates re speed camera's, which is fixed sites and areas that mobile camera's have been known to frequent. .

Are you saying that the F770 does not automatically update its database of camera sites and that you have to plug it into a computer regularly to update it? That would be a dealbreaker for me because the Road Angel Gem I currently have on my dashboard is very quick to update automatically. I'm regularly pleasantly surprised, for example, that it already knows about temporary motorway roadworks with speed cameras only days after they are set up

Post #536167 Fri Sep 22 2017 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>