RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Another battery question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey
Another battery question

Would i be worrying unnecessarily if concerned about leaving my RRS at the airport for 2 weeks while i sod off to sunnier climes next month?

Can i expect the battery to still have enough charge to start when I return at some ungodly hour in the morning after a 13 hour flight?

It's a good 100+ miles to the airport so it should be fully charged when I drop it off and i'll make sure it's in access height to reduce power use (what do people do if using valet parking? Presumably the valet wouldn't know/think to lower it when parked)?

And would single locking it rather than double locking have any effect on power drain from the alarm system? Presuming the official car parks are reasonably secure for either.

I haven't had any battery issues yet but I am surprised sometimes at how quickly the radio/tv switches itself off when watching/listening with the engine off. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #535327 Thu Sep 14 2017 1:18pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I'd say it would be fine after a 100 mile drive. I've left mine longer in similar circumstances. I believe it uses less electricity when double-locked, but I may be wrong on that. However, I always leave mine double-locked for security. I don't leave it in access height either, as I have that disabled on the dealer's recommendation having deployable side steps, and it's still been OK. (I know I could enable it, but it never strikes me).

Post #535336 Thu Sep 14 2017 2:14pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Park up, double lock and enjoy your holiday Thumbs Up
The AA or LR Assist will help if you need to on return Bow down Thumbs Up
Only use an airport approved car park though...worth the cost for piece of mind. Business parking at T5 in Heathrow is superb and has pods to transit direct into terminal Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #535351 Thu Sep 14 2017 3:10pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I had this problem before and after waiting for 3 hours for AA to turn up (no LR Assist in this part of the world), decided I would do something more positive about it. So I purchased a NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter, from Amazon. Small piece of kit, RETAINS a charge (for months and months) and has enough power for 40 starts, or so they claim. Have used it twice, once again at the airport and recently when my neighbours Mitsubishi Pajero had a flat battery. You can also use it to boost boats or other battery started equipment. It is REALLY powerful for its size, and despite being a bit pricey, worth it for the peace of mind.

Hope this helps,

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #535369 Thu Sep 14 2017 6:09pm
squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

When my dad had this car it would sit for 6 weeks at a time without being started, then 1st turn of the key it would start. Short trip to the hospital (5 miles each way) and it would sit for another 3 to 4 weeks. I would have it for a couple of weeks then to run round, never had a battery problem.
I will be leaving it at the Airport early next year for a fortnight, not got any worries about it. Enjoy your holiday

Post #535395 Thu Sep 14 2017 9:26pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Got back to Gatwick yesterday morning to find the car waiting for me in the valet parking area, all ready to go.

Valet parking is actually cheaper than on-site long term at the moment and car was well driven and looked after, as recorded by dash cam. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #538935 Mon Oct 23 2017 7:19am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have recently found out how to connect up My Maplin solar trickle charger to my L494 after 6 years of not being able to trickle charge batteries on my FFRR, 2 Evoques and my current RRS. I put a post in the L494 section with photos showing how to get around the dead sockets when the power is off. This is the panel I use, it is more than enough to trickle charge the battery if the car is not under cover - it needs very little daylight too.
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-1...arger-l58b
Instructions for L494 are here http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic49141.html 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #538939 Mon Oct 23 2017 8:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1