RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > low battery warning 2017 my
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Yes, my car is a 2014 and as soon as the engine stops, you have lost the a/c compressor, although the fan does keep going.

I think stop-start should only function in neutral or park, as with a manual car. Because it will stop the engine when in drive, it can catch you unawares.

Post #535463 Fri Sep 15 2017 2:06pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine is the 306BHP version from March 2015 so there may have been some software tweaks as well as the extra horses applied which improved the Stop/Start. I thought I would never use it, but now when I drive my Defender without it I miss it Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #535465 Fri Sep 15 2017 2:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Black Bess

Smile Smile Thumbs Up

Post #535466 Fri Sep 15 2017 2:51pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Interesting that you say the climate/heating in your goes off because I use Stop/start all the time and the ventilation continues running and seat heaters stay on with the engine stopped on my MY2015.5 until the BMS decides the load is too high and then the engine restarts automatically. I have never had the issue of the Stop start cutting in at a road junction though, maybe I don't press so hard on the brake pedal as you, or not hard enough for the sensor to think that I am stopped at traffic lights! I have no problems with the Stop start and wouldn't say it is dangerous because it were LR wouldn't have fitted it in that form, I think with maybe more practise with it you might find that you won't need to press the brake so hard. I must admit that on my first car with Stop/start I never used it, after 3 months I got the manual out and found that I was not using it properly for stops at traffic lights I have no problem now and as I use the same routes into all my local towns I am used to the phasing of traffic lights and can get the engine started right on que, I think it is a great device and being an apprentice Scotsman (after 53 years as an expat Englishmanliving in Scotland I'm nearly accepted as a local but still have to pass the "tight wallet " test Mr. Green ) love the little bit of fuel I save by not leaving the engine idling for long stops at traffic lights Embarassed it is also kinder to the gearbox to be in N or P when stopped at traffic lights

I agree with this entirely (with the substitution of 'Yorkshireman' for 'Scotsman' Wink )

One thing has struck me, though: Given that it's regarded as discourteous to show brake lights when stopped at junctions, do the brake lights stay on after stop-start has stopped the engine but you still have your foot on the brake?

Post #535468 Fri Sep 15 2017 3:17pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Mine is the 306BHP version from March 2015 so there may have been some software tweaks as well as the extra horses applied which improved the Stop/Start. I thought I would never use it, but now when I drive my Defender without it I miss it Big Cry

I agree again - I dreaded my fist car with it but have never once turned it off! In fact, I quite like it, and enjoy the sophisticated technology of the operation.

Post #535469 Fri Sep 15 2017 3:19pm
Black Bess

One thing has struck me, though: Given that it's regarded as discourteous to show brake lights when stopped at junctions, do the brake lights stay on after stop-start has stopped the engine but you still have your foot on the brake?[/quote]

Haha, good question. Without having checked, I am pretty sure that since the ignition is still on, the brake lights will be on too.

Probably need to back up to a wall and try it to see what happens..

I do tend to put the handbrake on at traffic lights, especially in the dark, so as not to dazzle the car behind. The handbrake will hold the car in drive happily enough.

Post #535470 Fri Sep 15 2017 3:55pm
Tim in Scotland

Yes the brake lights and the high level one stay on, next you you are driving in traffic on a dark wet night look at the reflection of the car behind in your rear view mirror. It annoys me intensely and I now park a bit further back and put full beam headlights on until the car in front stops their vehicle properly and applies the parking brake as required by the Highway Code when "stopped" at traffic lights, officially you are not stopped until the parking brake is fully engaged and could done at a Stop sign for driving without due care and attention if you only stop with the foot brake engaged. I think also many insurers are hot on this if you rear end somebody else in a traffic queue, first question usually is was the parking brake engaged........ because if not your foot can slip on the foot brake causing an automatic car to roll forward. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #535475 Fri Sep 15 2017 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 

So how do you comply with that and use stop-start at the same time (for example, avoiding dazzle or not being legally stopped)? Confused

Post #535480 Fri Sep 15 2017 5:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Here's how I do it......... stop, keeping foot on brake until engine stops then apply parking brake, engage N, take foot off foot brake, brake lights go off............. if you are familiar with the traffic light phasing when you think your lane is an=bout to go to amber/green foot on foot brake and into D, foot off foot brake, brake lights go out.......... parking brake will hold the car against the small amount of torque in the engine at idle easily, when ready foot on gas and parking brake releases! If you really want to scare the crap out of anyone behind you the go into Park on the gear selector when you stop .......... when you come out of park back to drive the reversing lights will flash on............ Laughing It sounds convoluted but you get good at it after a while......... when I drive in to Stirling there are on two sets of traffic lights on my route but I'm getting quite good at the system now! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #535489 Fri Sep 15 2017 6:00pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Doesn't that defeat the point of the stop-start to some extent? Unless you know when you are about to move, for example at a junction with variable traffic, wouldn't this be more or less the same as turning the engine off yourself when you stop? It's a shame the stop light isn't simply extinguished by the electronic system that stops the car in the first place with the stop-start system.

Post #535508 Fri Sep 15 2017 7:20pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Incidentally, just because something is stated in the Highway Code, it doesn't make it a legal requirement. Many sections are advisory and for information, advice etc.unfortunately. Some parts state when a legal requirement, sections from justice manual were listed at the back many years ago. Embarassed Re brake lights and automatic drivers not using the handbrake, it isn't a law to apply at traffic lights, it's advisory for obvious reasons and I would also suggest safety. It's similar to some people holding their car on clutch ready to pull away with manual boxes.
At level crossings just to confuse you it is meant to be applied, but there can often be some wait there. Sad

My pet hate is people driving in rain and daylight with front and rear fog lights on, they are for fog. Censored John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #535517 Fri Sep 15 2017 8:11pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

In terms of 'laws' that aren't, isn't it illegal to use fog lights when not necessary, or is that another false one?

Post #535523 Fri Sep 15 2017 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12