RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Looking to buy '07 HSE RRS - a few ??s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wachuko

United States 
Looking to buy '07 HSE RRS - a few ??s

Second post. First one was in the welcome thread as a quick introduction. Long post so just bear with me… trying to share our thought process, needs, questions and concerns. And I know this will be a bias feedback because of the forum… so if you can still provide an objective feedback it will be greatly appreciated.

During the last week of November I took my family to go Car-Window Shopping... wife wants to change her car and we drove to a few dealers to see what moved her senses... BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar... I would stay in the dealer with the children and she would go out to test-drive the cars... this was her day. I told her I would not drive the cars nor would I say anything... her car, her decision.

Jaguar - made the mistake of taking her to see the XJ Vanden Plas first... this is the car she wants... the piping in the seats, the elegant British classic Jag look of the body, all the gadgets she wanted (Bluetooth, iPod integration, Nav, DVD for the children, etc)... you could see it in her face.. that was the car and the rest of the visits to the other dealers where a waste of time... should have left this one for last instead of the first visit... even my children were cheering for the car (must had something to do with the car rear DVD system with the movie CARs playing...)

BMW - She was not that thrilled by the 5 series looks or interior...;Mercedes - E350 Sport Package with Panorama roof - in her words - "it does not pamper me enough... feels like the car it is... a German car, solid and more towards a sport character...";Porsche - Had to take her to drive the Cayenne (you see... if she changes the Armada to a car... father-in-law and me are stuck with finding a tow vehicle for the boat... so I tried to see if she would go for it...) Failed attempt... She liked the Cayenne... fast and agile for such a heavy car but just not what she is looking for...

She was pretty much set on the Vanden Plas until I told her that she should probably look at the Vanden Plas of SUVs… Land Rover.

We went this weekend to look at the different models from Land Rover. She test-drove the three models on the showroom. She liked the interior of the Range Rover (something about the piping on the seats) but was not thrilled with the boxy looks of the exterior. She did like just about everything on the Range Rover Sport.

I have always like the Land Rover but never heard good things about reliability. So here I am. Wife now is saying that she would prefer the Range Rover Sport since it will provide what she is looking for in terms of luxury, options, etc., as well as be able to tow our boat. I know she loves the Jaguar Vanden Plas and have told her several times not to compromise on her selection. But looks like she is pretty much set now on the RRS.

So to make sure we do not make a mistake I am looking for feedback on the RRS, weakness, strong characteristics, etc. from the folks here.

Pros:
No need to get another vehicle to tow the boat.
Same British/English feel (interior details, leather, wood inserts, seats, etc.)
Proven engine.

Click image to enlarge

Cons or concerns:
We do not get the diesel option here… so it is the normal V8… thirsty sob and requires only premium fuel (where the Jag has the same engine and can run on regular unleaded…)
Unsure of reliability. 2007 is the second year of the RRS and looks like a lot of the problem areas have been addressed… but still a fairly new car.
Unsure of dealer and company backup to their products. Reading the thread on the front suspension problems and how Land Rover reacted (normal sound) does not provide a good level of confidence… but that is just one issue… not sure if representative of overall Land Rover attitude towards problems.
Build quality???

We are looking at a 2007 Zermatt Silver Metallic HSE Range Rover Sport with Luxury Interior Package, Alpaca Seats/Alpaca Carpet Interior, Rear Seat Entertainment System, and tow package. Rread here that the Electronic Rear Differential Lock was not worth it if it was not going to see heavy duty off-road activity. We like the looks of the 20" wheels but not willing to spend the US$4,000 to get them (we liked the stock wheels design as well, so no sense in spending the extra $$ there).

Thank you for reading and hope to read a few of your comments, experiences, and recommendations. Cheers! Drive Safe!
Jaime Diaz (a.k.a Wachuko)

'02 996TT Seal Gray -
'91 964 C4 Wide-Body Cabriolet
'83 911 SC
'02 Yamaha Midnight Star
'08 Honda CBR 600RR Graffiti
'06 Nissan Armada
'07 Lexus ES350

Last edited by wachuko on Mon Jan 08 2007 9:20pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #73769 Mon Jan 08 2007 8:37pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Welcome - as you have probably seen there have been some issues with the RRS but the very nature of forums is that you only hear about things that go wrong! The car is great a joy to drive and as it's based on the LR3 most of the early problems have been sorted. I would say go for it - looks great and drives fantasically. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #73772 Mon Jan 08 2007 8:43pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White
Re: Looking to buy '07 HSE RRS - a few ??s

wachuko wrote:

We are looking at a 2007 Zermatt Silver Metallic HSE Range Rover Sport with Luxury Interior Package!

Keep your hands off its mine !

Had mine since October 28 last year. Now done 4500 miles of trouble free motoring. Faults none to speak of other than an occasional very slight knock from front when driving over a bumpy road. Great car, comfotable, smooth, quiet and does what it is supposed to.

After just over two months of ownership still look forward to driving it, leave the Jag alone wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pud - go for the RRS Thumbs Up MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #73804 Mon Jan 08 2007 10:10pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The Jag is a very nice car, but a bit of an "older" persons car unless you go for an R badged one, which has the same engine as the RRS S/C, IIRC. So a V8 RRS HSE should do very nicely! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #73807 Mon Jan 08 2007 10:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

I've had my RRS since the end of Oct' 06, covering 2900 miles with 'ZERO' problems (no suspension knock for me).

I would say however that LandRover have tended to suffer more Quality Issues than other marques in the past (sorry TB), however IMO this is the nature of being at the forefront of 4x4 technology - still no other manufacturer can match LandRover the for combination of 4x4 performance and with Luxury that the FFRR and RRS delivers.

The key to the LandRover experience is not to compare it with a brand such as LEXUS (superb build quality, yet extremely dull IMHO).

Go - buy - enjoy Very Happy

Post #73810 Mon Jan 08 2007 10:26pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

A Jag would be just perfect (if you are over 60 and don't mind depreciation accelerating faster than the car). A RRS on the other hand would suit the modern family, who appreciate fine motoring, need a safe, reliable and sporty motor that can take the family and their baggage almost "wherever and whenever" they wish to go.

You know it makes sense ........ RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #73811 Mon Jan 08 2007 10:35pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I have a 1.5 year old, 4.4 liter HSE here in California, which I drive A LOT (42,000 miles and counting, it is my daily driver), and besides the all-too frequent stops at my friendly neighborhood Chevron gas station, would you believe I have not experienced one single major problem or breakdown that left me stranded? Absolutely nothing that could not wait for the next scheduled service, a handful of minor electronic annoyances and some squeaks and rattles is all I can remember. I am living proof that Land Rover can build vehicles as reliable as the Japanese. Smile I have taken my Sport off road in the past few months - with proper wheels of course, not the ones pictured below... - and have discovered a whole different car I didn't know I owned. This thing can climb walls if necessary, yet it is a comfortable cruiser for family hauling, a plush and fast commuter (if you can put up with the fuel bills) and a hoot to drive on the twisties. It still gets lots of looks, even in L.A. where RRSs have become as popular as Camrys. I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the road, I don't care what Porsche, BMW, Lexus or Audi come up with. There simply isn't anything that compares in this price range. 

Post #73815 Mon Jan 08 2007 10:50pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Gents, have any of you ever thought of a job as Land Rover salesmen? You almost convinced me to buy a new RRSport, until I remembered I've already got one. Laughing

Kaine wrote:

I would say however that LandRover have tended to suffer more Quality Issues than other marques in the past (sorry TB), however IMO this is the nature of being at the forefront of 4x4 technology - still no other manufacturer can match LandRover the for combination of 4x4 performance and with Luxury that the FFRR and RRS delivers.

Go - buy - enjoy Very Happy

Kaine you are right in a way, Land Rover have been blighted by some really bad press about Quality Issues in the past and they don't always do themselves any favours in the way they have dealt with these issues. However, a couple of years ago Ford threw down the gauntlet and challenged Land Rover to improve their quality performance in line with Jaguar quality levels. Within a gnats knacker, Land Rover have almost achieved that this year and the target is to beat Jaguar quality targets before the end of year.

Wachuko, go ahead and buy the Range Rover Sport I promise you will not be disappointed. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #73816 Mon Jan 08 2007 11:13pm
wachuko

United States 

Thank you all for your replies. Smile Will stop by the dealer tomorrow to work out the deal. And by deal I mean handing over my money, as they seem to not negotiate/haggle with the price... (yes, cheap bastard trying to protect every dollar... as I will needed for gasoline Laughing ). Drive Safe!
Jaime Diaz (a.k.a Wachuko)

'02 996TT Seal Gray -
'91 964 C4 Wide-Body Cabriolet
'83 911 SC
'02 Yamaha Midnight Star
'08 Honda CBR 600RR Graffiti
'06 Nissan Armada
'07 Lexus ES350

Post #73818 Mon Jan 08 2007 11:36pm
m3fanatic12b

United States 

question to current HSE owners...do you think it has adequate acceleration and power? i want to buy a rrs supercharged, but the HSE's price is appealing. any complaints? '01 LSB M3 - FOR SALE
'06 GS300 AWD - My Daily
'07 RRS Supercharged - WTB

Post #75171 Mon Jan 15 2007 4:29am
Lateral5

Australia 

Hi Wachuko and welcome!

Some of my objective (hopefully Smile ) opinions (can an opinion be objective??)

1) Driveability (9/10) - superb, you will not find a better or more commanding car, or at least 4wd to drive. I have a diesel and it is amazingly quiet and smooth at highway speeds (current vibration problem aside). If you are using the 4wd capability, it is equally as superb. Very little will stop it in the bush.

2) Looks (9/10) - probably not objective, but I reckon it looks great against its competitiors. Understated elegance with a presence!

3) Reliability (5/10) - this is where it tends to come unstuck. True, you tend to hear about the gripes on these blogs, but from my own personal experience my car has not been good. It has been back at the dealer for 45 days now having most of the driveline replaced. In total, it has been back for warranty work for around 70 days in total and I have had it less than a year. The car has not broken down on me, but constant problems keep arising. No such dramas with my other cars.

4) Build quality (6.5/10) - not up to German or Jap standards (and yes, I have owned both) by a fair margin. Panel press marks, paint blemishes, lumps, misaligned panels to mention a few. Car certainly feels solid enough, but close inspection of build quality takes the shine (no pun intended Laughing ) off.

5) Dealer Backup (8/10) - My dealer has been really good to me and now LR Australia are also involved and keeping me up-to-date on progress. It did take some time to get my major gripe recognised, but now they are doing everything they can to sort out the prob.

Do I like the car? Yes, I do, very much.....but I would also like it to spend some more time in my driveway rather than the dealers!

Would I recommend it to others......tough one, but yes, in absence of anything more capable on and off road. Make sure you run a very critical eye over everything before you accept the car (if you take the plunge!). RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #75172 Mon Jan 15 2007 6:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

m3fanatic12b wrote:
question to current HSE owners...do you think it has adequate acceleration and power? i want to buy a rrs supercharged, but the HSE's price is appealing. any complaints?

Hello and welcome

I have an 06 TDV6 with about 13k on the clock, and its performance was ok when i got it, but then i had it chipped, like others on this forum and that makes a huge difference. it will never be as quick as a S/C but it dont hang around either. some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #75419 Mon Jan 15 2007 5:20pm
m3fanatic12b

United States 

ENVOY wrote:
m3fanatic12b wrote:
question to current HSE owners...do you think it has adequate acceleration and power? i want to buy a rrs supercharged, but the HSE's price is appealing. any complaints?

Hello and welcome

I have an 06 TDV6 with about 13k on the clock, and its performance was ok when i got it, but then i had it chipped, like others on this forum and that makes a huge difference. it will never be as quick as a S/C but it dont hang around either.

Thanks! I'll think about that when I go look for one. Is it true you can't get a winch on the supercharged version? '01 LSB M3 - FOR SALE
'06 GS300 AWD - My Daily
'07 RRS Supercharged - WTB

Post #75443 Mon Jan 15 2007 6:10pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

m3fanatic12b wrote:
Is it true you can't get a winch on the supercharged version?

This question has been asked over on the other Range Rover forum recently and the general opinion was that due to the location of the S/C's intercooler and the ACC box, it was not possible to fit a winch to S/C versions.
It will be interesting to see if the TDv8 can have a winch as well the ACC.

You would have a problem with your wheels if you intend to take your S/C into places where you might need a winch too - the 20" wheels are very easily damaged and the very low profile nature of the tyres means they can suffer sidewall damage that higher profiles don't suffer from. IIRC you cannot fit smaller wheels to the S/C because of the Brembos, as well. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #75449 Mon Jan 15 2007 6:20pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
IIRC you cannot fit smaller wheels to the S/C because of the Brembos, as well.

You can fit the 19s over the Brembos, but no smaller than that. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #75566 Tue Jan 16 2007 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1