Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > newbie advice required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

nebc100

Luxembourg 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
newbie advice required

Hello All,

I am a newbie here as I am only in the searching stage for a RRS.

I currently have a td6 L322, and a D2 TD5.

I am thinking of replacing the D2, and have seen a couple of RRS that are within my budget (almost nothing)

My L322 and D2 both have very high mileage (280000km and 325000km respectively) and both run perfectly.

So my question(s)...

Am i right in thinking that the RRS TdV6 2.7 will also manage as well as the L322 or D2 so long as well maintained?

I have seen one in particular not far from me. 180k km, and they want €10000. It is from 2006.

Is there any advice that you can give me of specific things to check?

I have the IID tool so can check for errors, but i am not a mechanic so any advice would be apreciated.

How reliable are the engine and gearbox on the 2.7?

Thanks

Nick

Post #533898 Sun Aug 27 2017 12:06pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I would say the newer 3.0 SDV6 engine is the better one to go for.

Cannot confirm on reliability, how long is a length of string? Whistle as some run and run, and others have reported lots of problems.

Some of our more technically experienced members will be along to pass comment I'm sure. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533923 Sun Aug 27 2017 9:57pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Things like timing belts and oil pumps need to be checked as they are known to go and if they go its a new engine and full service history to start with is a must Thumbs Up

Post #533934 Mon Aug 28 2017 7:40am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The 3.0 is still reasonably pricey - the OP states a low available budget. They also have a growing reputation for snapping cranks.

The 2.7 is a good choice for the OP but the belts must be done and the oil pump checked to be the better quality version. The gearbox is ok so long as the oil is changed regularly. If the vehicle has done lots of towing then the gearbox will have also worked harder.

If you find one you like, make sure that the diffs, transfer box and gearbox oils have been changed or budget to do it.

As with all vehicles, buy on condition and detailed history where available. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #533953 Mon Aug 28 2017 12:14pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Re: newbie advice required

nebc100 wrote:

Am i right in thinking that the RRS TdV6 2.7 will also manage as well as the L322 or D2 so long as well maintained?

How reliable are the engine and gearbox on the 2.7?

No.

Not very.

The petrol models are ok though

Post #533956 Mon Aug 28 2017 12:56pm
squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Like already said, some are good some not so. I have my 2.7 sport as it was left me by my dad. I had a D2 TD5 and to be perfectly honest I still don't trust the sport. It has never let my dad or me down, I just feel the D2 is a stronger engine and box, and will do many more miles than the sport. The sport is much quieter to drive, but I prefer the sound of the D2. That however is just my opinion after owning both.

Post #533963 Mon Aug 28 2017 3:09pm
nebc100

Thanks for all the answers!!

Squizzel, are you on the D2BC site? I vaguely remember someone there saying that they were left a RRS by their father. Was that you?

I am in the situation that I have a D2 that has done 328000Km, and is not in bad condition. Standard faults... slight leak from transfer box, and slight leak from manual gearbox. Engine is running fine, but again, a very slight oil/fuel leak. Have tried on multiple occasions to get these leaks sorted, and short of replacing the two boxes, I cannot get them leak free. The engine is also renowned to have oil leaks or fpr leaks.

At the last MOT (well... equivalent of MOT) they made comments about chassis corrosion.

There isn't anything bad at the moment, but if they are already commenting, then it won't be all that long now.

New chassis is $$$$$$$$$, and then I still have a 20 year old vehicle.

Would I not be better to invest €10000 and get a "slightly" newer RRS that has approx. 200000Km and then keep that for another 5-10 years rather than invest in a new chassis for the D2?

What do you think?

Post #533964 Mon Aug 28 2017 3:16pm
squizzel

Yes that's me, if I could have kept both cars I would. Chassis rot is a big problem on the D2 and expensive to replace. Don't get me wrong the sport is an amazing car, but if you are used to working on them yourself, (as a lot of D2 owners are), then these are more difficult to repair on the driveway, my disco never saw the inside of a workshop in 8 years, somehow I cant see that happening with this. But it was my dads pride and joy, and I will keep it for as long as I can. Work so far since April. Gearbox flush, egr removal, new front lower arm front and rear bushes, and tracking. Left to do ... new clips on A pillar trim, air con leak somewhere, new screen, service and diff oils, and now there seems to be a lot of driveshaft / diff backlash.

Post #533977 Mon Aug 28 2017 7:03pm
nebc100

Here is the one that I am looking at:
https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/land-r...?cldtidx=1

I think that the rims are awful, but at least it won't have been used offroad with rims like that, so the underneath should be in good condition.

I just don't know if it is a risk buying this. I don't know if I should just keep the D2, and eventually get a new chassis and 'boxes. All together, it would be cheaper than buying something newer, but then I would still have what is basically a nearly 20 year old vehicle (even though mine is a 2003 model).

I agree that the D2 is MUCH easier to work on. I have tried to do a few things on the L322 that I have bought, and it is MUCH more complicated.

Any thoughts?

Should I stay with the Devil that I know rather than buying the Devil that I don't know?

Post #533978 Mon Aug 28 2017 7:10pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I guess the easy answer is to only buy an RRS if low mileage and you are sure it's been looked after.

Till then keep your d2

Post #533981 Mon Aug 28 2017 8:10pm
squizzel

I agree the rims are not my cup of tea either, and the steering wheel is on the wrong side Laughing
At the end of the day only you can answer the question as to keep the D2 or not
Only advice I can give is get as much history as you can and a good warranty. I don't have any warranty so its all down to me, and some of the jobs are hard on your own on the drive.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Post #533986 Mon Aug 28 2017 8:37pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

nebc100 wrote:
Here is the one that I am looking at:

That's equivalent to a £9250 for a 115,000 mile 2.7TDV6 which is probably about right, maybe a bit low in the UK. At that mileage and age it's imperative that the belts have been done. If they haven't done that then I doubt they've done any other maintenance other than an oil change. That would put me off straight away. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #533989 Mon Aug 28 2017 9:40pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

As you'd expect, mixed views with people having had good and bad experiences. I bought a 2005 RRS 2.7 TDV6 (LHD) back in May this year and as I've said a few times on here, I love it. It had 67k km on the clock and had been looked after. I took a chance and I'm pleased I did. It is having a major service before I take it to Portugal for good early next year. I consider replacing all the belts (as mentioned above) as essential. It is my first LR and it's a bit quirky. Even on the 2005 there are a load of gadgets but that's part of what I love about it. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #534002 Tue Aug 29 2017 8:14am
nebc100

Well... Have been in touch with the seller, and he seems REALLY honest.

I am going to look at the RRS on Saturday.

Sadly, I don't know if/what maintenance has been done, so if I buy it, I will immediately get timing belt, oil pump replaced, full service, all oils (gearbox, transfer box & diffs replaced. Should I do anything else?

I will also get a 1 year warranty with it.

I just hope that it is a nice in real life as it is in the photos.

Post #534210 Thu Aug 31 2017 8:15pm
nebc100

Well... Went to look at three today.
1st one: No service history. Problem with engine ECU, so.... Walked away.

2nd one: No service history. Air suspension down, rust chio below boot side window. Glass on one headlight broken. Interior a bit tatty, so... Walked away.

3rd one: FULL service history. Lovely condition except small mark on front bumper. Everything works except cracked navigation screen. Drove it, and it drove beautifully

So... Signed for it, and will be collecting it next week.

Hope i have made the right decision

Post #534368 Sat Sep 02 2017 6:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>