RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Long life service !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Long life service !!!!

Just want to throw this out to the forum to gauge a response I have just received from a used car salesman. I had emailed the car company about a 2011 RRS with 48,000 miles for sale but no info about the service history. He telephoned me back and confirmed that there were 3 stamps in the book, the last stamp being from their garage about 2 weeks ago. When I asked about dates etc of the previous stamps he was quick to reply that this vehicle has had 'Long life services' which means that they only need to be done every two years, this is because they use 'long life oil'.

This is a new one on me and when I questioned the RR timetable of servicing every year or 15,000 miles whichever is the sooner, he was adamant that 'long life servicing was good and acceptable. I admit I was stunned by this new info and didn't know whether to laugh or gasp in amazement.

Perhaps I haven't heard of this new servicing technique and will happily stand corrected if it is a viable method of servicing but I am presently looking skywards for a flock of tamworth black spot oinkers to go flying by. Rolling with laughter Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #534558 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:23pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

It's true for vw Audi.

Not sure about the RR though

Post #534559 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:27pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

What a load of spherical objects! Whistle No warranty would ever be valid either, LR services clearly state a mileage or 12 months. Wouldn't touch buying from this moron whatever he says or offers. Censored John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #534560 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Haven't heard that applied to LR products. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #534561 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:28pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The trouble is they are implying services since 2011. Laughing John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #534563 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:30pm
GodivaNige

England 

There should be a minimum of 5 stamps in the book, (not including the stamp from this seller, which I wouldn't trust as being done properly, if at all) I would walk away and look for something else.
Long life extended servicing does apply with some manufacturers, VAG group as mentioned above and BMW to name a couple, but not LR

Post #534564 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:34pm
Godders

Glad to hear the above and in fairness i was on my heels away from this dealer(metaphorically speaking) before I even put the phone down, but it did make me giggle and frown at the same time. Same thing Johnski is how do they know what oil used on previous services and this would also mean the major cam belt service happening a year later than it should. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #534566 Mon Sep 04 2017 10:49pm
GodivaNige

England 

Certainly with VAG cars, the service book is usually marked with what service regime has been selected when the car has its PDI. From then, a dealer service would normally indicate long life oil has been fitted, next to the stamp in the book.
VAG cars can be switched to time and distance servicing at any time with a simple software change using VAGCOM or VCDS
My previous car, a Touareg, was ex fleet so was on long life servicing, switched it to time and distance at the first opportunity. I'm not a fan of long life servicing and it's a good thing LR haven't embraced this, so used cars *should* have at least a yearly stamp

Post #534568 Mon Sep 04 2017 11:03pm
Godders

I agree that if Land rover state when servicing should be done, then it should be followed, then there is no comeback or fault at your feet if something goes wrong. Thanks for all the info guys, you learn something new every day. Thumbs Up Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #534589 Tue Sep 05 2017 9:57am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

He's talking utter Censored to close a sale. Lying ain't good Censored
Also, name and shame the Censored Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #534619 Tue Sep 05 2017 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1