RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Windymiller29

England 
Battery drain

A strange electrical fault has developed on my late 09 RRS. Something is draining around 5 amps off the battery when everything is switched off, suspension lowered and locked up.

The battery is good - charges up and holds it's charge overnight.

No drain through the starter motor or alternator wiring.

After pulling all 80-odd fuses and most of the relays that are accessible, the only change is when FL15 & 16 in the engine bay fusebox are both removed, the drain falls to 1.5A. Unfortunately, this kills everything! The owners manual doesn't tell us what these 40A fuses do, so I'm stumped.

To look at the problem another way, a short somewhere would blow a fuse so it would seem that there's some component drawing 60W of power that's not shutting down when the ignition's off.

It's booked into the main dealers tomorrow, Any ideas before I'm presented with an enormous bill?

Post #533665 Thu Aug 24 2017 10:02am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

FL15 and FL16 are fusible links rather than fuses and they appear to be permanent lives. They supply to lots of things including lights, locks, ECU etc. Not sure they're much help, as you've found out.

Have you checked the tail gate upper switch - the one that opens the glass hatch part? That corrodes and has been known to cause battery drains. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #533731 Thu Aug 24 2017 7:52pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Might not be at all relevant to you, but when my battery was going flat and drawing far to much current when all off, it ended up being the drivers door not double locking properly, but then started to try every few seconds, no alarms etc sounded, so not aware it wasn't locking. Once sorted all returned to normal. A strange fault from something you wouldn't be looking for.
LR dealership spent two days with no joy finding fault, my brother though had recognised this through a RR they had doing similar, and it was that. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533741 Thu Aug 24 2017 8:45pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I was was think they maybe for the lights but forgot to check the diagrams.

Post #533745 Thu Aug 24 2017 9:19pm
Windymiller29

England 

Thanks for the replies, but apparently it's the fault of the alternator after all.

It's only putting out 12+V and the fault is preventing the management system to go into switch off/sleep mode - hence the 5A drain on the battery.
'
New alternator will be fitted on Tuesday, I'll keep you posted. (Hopefully this will then be moved to 'faults and fixes' thread!)

Post #533818 Fri Aug 25 2017 6:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1