RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Buying approved used unseen...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

HossBog

United Kingdom 
Buying approved used unseen...

Hi, everyone. I'm on Defender 2 net and having sold my Defender and moving out of my F80 BMW M3 I'm picking up a vehicle that can hopefully combine both cars in one and picking up my approved used MY16 RRD HSE on Sat. I tried to buy a MY16 full fat Vogue TDV6 a couple of weeks ago, but apparantly there were issues with taking the private plate off the car and it was going to take weeks to resolve with DVLA. During that time I went from 'I'm never having a RRS to ...hmm...they're quite reasonably priced...and faster....and have most of the spec'....so here I am!

I'm buying unseen so I am in the hands of the dealer - although I've done this before with Strastone and their cars seem to be in good condition and I'm quite picky. Plus my RRS has only done 10k. What could possibly go wrong!!

I'll try not to think about the approved used FFRR I saw at Guy Salmon, complete with chips, scratches and filthy interior. Plus no fuel for test drive... Rolling Eyes

Post #533514 Tue Aug 22 2017 4:28pm
milesg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

Welcome chap.

I have had a brand new FFRR Vogue for the past 2 weeks whilst mine had a few 'issues' sorted with it. I have only had mine 2 months and it is a MY16 but I would never have swapped mine for the FFRR, it is slower, worse handling than my L322 and IMO looks significantly better.

You won't look back. A great vehicle.

(I've just had a drive back through the villages from Stratford On Avon to Cheltenham, through Broadway, Winchcombe etc.... Fantastic!!!) 2016 RRS Autobiography - 4.4 TDV8 - Santorini Black with Ivory Leather - Grey Alloys - A few toys

Post #533520 Tue Aug 22 2017 4:54pm
wilf

I really, really hope the car is all you hope for.

But, in truth, buying unseen is a gamble, and dealers are not known for advertising the exact correct spec of the car on sale, so check EVERYTHING very carefully.

Good luck, I hope you come back on here telling us what a great car you got. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #533540 Tue Aug 22 2017 7:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You say it is an HSE you are looking at, would suggest paying the extra for the HSE Dynamic which has a few extra bit that aid on and off-road use - you get the. Dynamic Mode that firms up suspension and steering and changes the gear change map that makes twisty road driving get fun in an unlikely car to handle well and there is also an additional rear e-diff that makes offroad driving possible on road biased tyres (although a set of ATRs is even better with less chance of the treads clogging up). I offroad my RRS on 22" OEM wheels and tyres on tracks that I also take my 1996 Defender Tdi300 which wears MTRs and so far I have not needed to have a recovery in the RRS when I thought I might have, the clever autoTerrain Response and the systems have got us through every time and we have recovery others in old Discos and Freelanders in the RRS. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #533542 Tue Aug 22 2017 7:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kmpowell

I bought mine unseen from Farnell's up in Guiseley Leeds, however I was very clear on the phone that if I turned up and it wasn't 100% as described then I'd be invoicing them for wasted time (day off work) and my travel/fuel costs from South London (where I live) to Leeds and back.

I was lucky that the dealer ended up being as excellent in person as they had been on the phone. When I arrived they insisted I saw the car before it was prepped to ensure I was happy nothing was being covered up. A stark contrast from my local dealer!

They're not all bad. Good luck and enjoy. Thumbs Up SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #533556 Tue Aug 22 2017 8:21pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone - I'll report back on Sat.

I have - verbally and in writing - set out my expectations for the condition of an approved used car that's only got 10k on the clock and been told they will ensure it meets all the Land Rover approved used requirements. So they've set the bar low...

But as I've said, I've had good experiences with Strastone before.

Post #533759 Fri Aug 25 2017 6:29am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

ive bought 4 RRS 3 from Guy Salmon Wakefield & the one I have now from Farnells Bradford all unseen,paid £500 deposit which was refundable if not as described.All 4 were as described so I was happy with the service from both dealers.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #533761 Fri Aug 25 2017 7:12am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I've bought approved used unseen before and will never do it again - 6 month old D2 ES that looked like 10 year old hire car, 6 month old RRS HSE with missing wiring loom and defective paint to door that took 3 months to resolve due in part to local dealer insisting I go back to selling dealer and a crash repaired FL1 Thud

I've driven all over the country to view approved used and walked away after wasting a day because they were not as described on phone Banging Head

If you've paid deposit with credit card and been clear what you expect you can reject it if not as you expected but they will fob you off with BS which is when I usually go to DP and card company - whatever you do don't pay cash Sad

Sorry to be so negative - you may be lucky but when you're spending this kind of money it shouldn't come down to luck Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #533765 Fri Aug 25 2017 8:04am
forest172

United Kingdom 

pm sent

some of the cars i`ve seen on LR forecourt look like they`re 3 years old not 6 months, with the state of the swirls, paint marring and wheel condition

Post #533771 Fri Aug 25 2017 9:13am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

i certainly wouldn't ! SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #533802 Fri Aug 25 2017 1:48pm
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I bought sight unseen from Pentlands in Scotland, very pleased with the deal and delivery. The staff went up and over, I couldn't be more pleased and still driving with a grin. I did have a snag a few weeks after the delivery and it was dealt with swiftly with one call and zero run around. 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #533817 Fri Aug 25 2017 6:13pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The main problem with many LR dealerships is the simple fact they don't know how to wash and valet a car. This is often why they look "old" due to swirls, or use clay etc, and polishing doing more damage than good. Even some of their off site detailers are crap.

I have used Hatfields, Pickering. North Yorkshire and never had a problem with them, and in first 30 days 1000 miles you can return for any rectification or swap until you are happy.
A dealership that I can recommend and they really do give good customer service.

I wish you all good luck with your purchase, and hope it is everything you want, but as someone else said I would also ensure the car has Dynamic Response program, it really does make a lot of difference Iv'e found. Personally at the prices of these motors I wouldn't tend to purchase blind without being able to pull out if not as described, looks and drive John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533826 Fri Aug 25 2017 8:28pm
Rich

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Judging by my experience when I bought, I would not buy unseen. I looked at/drove about 15 from various main dealers in Sussex and Kent. All were "approved" and between 3 and 5 years old so they should have been of a similar standard. However, they felt significantly different when driven.

Difficult to pin down some of the differences. Some just felt a bit grubby, some didn't feel just right when driven. One even had the steering wheel slightly out of alignment with the actual wheel direction.

When i drove the one I bought it just felt right immediately. It wasn't the lowest mileage and it was one of the oldest I tried, but it just felt right in all respects.

I've had it nearly 3 years now and it has been superb.

It is not the one I would have bought if I had looked at stock online and listened to the salesmen!

Post #533838 Fri Aug 25 2017 9:54pm
HossBog

United Kingdom 

Well, I'm very happy. Car was immaculate inside, barely looked like it has done a 1000 miles, let alone 10k. Outside is in very good order, couple of very minor chips but nothing I could complain about.

Biggest thing was the completely unexpected suprise that it had deployable sidesteps fitted! Not mentioned in the ad, or by the dealer when I asked what options were fitted. They told me it didn't have any!

Perfomed fautlessly on 80 mile journey home.

Great service from Stratstone Newport!!

Couple of quick shots..

Post #533872 Sat Aug 26 2017 6:44pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Excellent result, nice looking car. Many sales people have no idea what's fitted to models, let alone how they work. Thumbs Up Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533874 Sat Aug 26 2017 6:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>