RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Pedal pox tuning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

willv8

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Pedal pox tuning

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has experience with pedal box tuning boxes? I've just bought my first ever range rover sport it's a tdv8.. I've noticed a distinct lack of throttle responce/Delay when pulling away from a junction etc?

I love the car bad this little annoying issue, it's only got 60k on it and full stealer history.

Post #533373 Sun Aug 20 2017 10:42pm
willv8

http://www.gnjmotorsport.com/ecu-tuning/pe...port-sdv6/

Post #533374 Sun Aug 20 2017 10:44pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Have it remapped as i had a box on my 2.7 and yes it did give more power but also a load more smoke out the rear and if you drove it from low speed and a higher gear then floored it it would go into limp mode so my advise is do not use them Thumbs Up

Post #533385 Mon Aug 21 2017 8:05am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Just select first gear before pulling away. The gearbox defaults to second gear which gives the tardy, but luxury, slow get away. Also, the TDV8 can be a bit turbo lag prone at low revs. Use of the gearstick to select sport can avoid the lag because it drops a gear and lifts you in to the "wah-hey" rev range. Thumbs Up

If you want to tune it, get a decent bespoke one done, not a cheap box.

BAS (Bell Auto Services) and Alive Tuning are well regarded hereabouts and aren't massively more expensive than a basic plug in box.

Oh, and get the gearbox oil flushed. The official line is the oil lasts 100k+ miles. It doesn't. At 60k miles, yours is probably due a change to keep the box happy. That's a flush, not a "drop the oil from the drain point" change. About £250 but worth it to keep the box in good health. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #533390 Mon Aug 21 2017 9:20am
willv8

geoffsnook wrote:
Have it remapped as i had a box on my 2.7 and yes it did give more power but also a load more smoke out the rear and if you drove it from low speed and a higher gear then floored it it would go into limp mode so my advise is do not use them Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice mate, I'm looking at alive tuning just got off the phone with them now..

The tuning boxes I was talking about only modify the pedals/responce they aren't an actual ecu etc adjustment.

Post #533417 Mon Aug 21 2017 2:39pm
willv8

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Just select first gear before pulling away. The gearbox defaults to second gear which gives the tardy, but luxury, slow get away. Also, the TDV8 can be a bit turbo lag prone at low revs. Use of the gearstick to select sport can avoid the lag because it drops a gear and lifts you in to the "wah-hey" rev range. Thumbs Up

BAS (Bell Auto Services) and Alive Tuning are well regarded hereabouts and aren't massively more expensive than a basic plug in box.

Oh, and get the gearbox oil flushed. The official line is the oil lasts 100k+ miles. It doesn't. At 60k miles, yours is probably due a change to keep the box happy. That's a flush, not a "drop the oil from the drain point" change. About £250 but worth it to keep the box in good health.

Hi mate thanks for that always good to hear new info on the tdv8..
I'm booked in for a full major service and gearbox flush and filter change. with the best indy I'm my area promec) they also deal for alive tuning. The Pedal box I posted above isn't one of those engine tune boxes it plugs in to the pedal set up area (not sure where) and you can select about 4 different response types the throttle will give. Spoke to alive tuning they said a map will make a little bit of difference to it but won't eliminate the delay completely.

Post #533418 Mon Aug 21 2017 2:46pm
willv8

RRSTDV8 wrote:

Oh, and get the gearbox oil flushed. The official line is the oil lasts 100k+ miles. It doesn't. At 60k miles, yours is probably due a change to keep the box happy. That's a flush, not a "drop the oil from the drain point" change. About £250 but worth it to keep the box in good health.

Hi mate thanks for that always good to hear new info on the tdv8..
I'm booked in for a full major service and gearbox flush and filter change. with the best indy I'm my area promec) they also deal for alive tuning. The Pedal box I posted above isn't one of those engine tune boxes it plugs in to the pedal set up area (not sure where) and you can select about 4 different response types the throttle will give. Spoke to alive tuning they said a map will make a little bit of difference to it but won't eliminate the delay completely.

Post #533419 Mon Aug 21 2017 2:46pm
willv8

Click image to enlarge

Thought I'd share a picture with you aswell! Here she is, I love it Very Happy

Post #533420 Mon Aug 21 2017 2:48pm
willv8

Geoff noticed your from Cardiff aswell mate, where do you take yours for the service? Penarth road wanted £1600!!!

Post #533422 Mon Aug 21 2017 3:04pm
RRSTDV8

Check whether the gearbox flush is really a flush. You don't normally change the filter when flushing, you just connect the gearbox to the flush machine and pump the old oil through to be replaced with new oil. It seems that changing the filter isn't really of much benefit. The issue is the oil quality and the deposition of oil crud on the torque converter and clutches as the oil breaks down with use. Changing the oil early and regularly reduces the crud and so keeps the clutches etc happy. The filter doesn't seem to make much difference to this. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #533423 Mon Aug 21 2017 3:28pm
RRSTDV8

willv8 wrote:
The Pedal box I posted above isn't one of those engine tune boxes it plugs in to the pedal set up area (not sure where) and you can select about 4 different response types the throttle will give. Spoke to alive tuning they said a map will make a little bit of difference to it but won't eliminate the delay completely.

I wonder how a box in the pedal helps overcome the physical lag of the engine. I guess it just takes the speed you move the pedal and tells the engine you've moved it quicker to get more response, in effect a kick down without you reaching the kick down switch on the pedal. Not sure how this gives better fuel economy as claimed.

Sounds a bit snake oily to me... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #533424 Mon Aug 21 2017 3:33pm
willv8

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Check whether the gearbox flush is really a flush. You don't normally change the filter when flushing, you just connect the gearbox to the flush machine and pump the old oil through to be replaced with new oil. It seems that changing the filter isn't really of much benefit. The issue is the oil quality and the deposition of oil crud on the torque converter and clutches as the oil breaks down with use. Changing the oil early and regularly reduces the crud and so keeps the clutches etc happy. The filter doesn't seem to make much difference to this.

Yes it's a complete flush and cleaning additive of some sort then new filter and oil, other garages I spoke with only mentioned draining what oil they could as they didn't have the machine to get it all out.

Yeah those pedal box things do seem a bit 2 good to be true I might just see how the map does tbh... tried that sport and into first method earlier. Seems to work well, also flicked into sport to overtake much better pick up.

Post #533445 Mon Aug 21 2017 8:23pm
d-9

Save your money and just press the pedal harder.

Post #533451 Mon Aug 21 2017 9:29pm
willv8

Doesn't matter how hard I press, delay is there regardless .. Thanks for trying to save me money though Laughing

Post #533453 Mon Aug 21 2017 10:22pm
d-9

Ahh maybe force isn't the issue, you need to press it down more quickly Rolling with laughter

Seriously think about what something plugged in between the pedals and ECU can do: change the curve of the reading from the throttle potentiometer, so the ecu thinks you have pressed the pedal further than you have, or more quickly.

Anything else Im missing?

Post #533475 Tue Aug 22 2017 9:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1