RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Damage to alloy wheels - will it get worse?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

hafman

United Kingdom 
Damage to alloy wheels - will it get worse?

Managed to scuff the OSF wheel against a kerb yesterday when parking. Deep deep grrrr.

I am not sure if these wheels have a lacquer or not; if I do nothing will the rim get worse (i.e. damp / bloom / etc), or should I just live with the horror of a scuffed wheel until the next time? If it is important to get them sorted soonish, what sort of outfit would be able to repair it?

TIA

PS I was being very careful parking; in order to get as close to the kerb as possible I opened the drivers door and checked where I was in relation to the kerb, but what I didn't think about was that the sill is well inboard of the wheels ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #533310 Sun Aug 20 2017 1:20pm
SRE

Spain 

Get use to it, Sports have kerb magnetic wheels. Best bet find a good paint shop, the paint is Land Rover Sparkle Silver. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #533317 Sun Aug 20 2017 2:18pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Is that polished faces on those wheels? If so then do not leave them - I'm still suffering from that mistake.

If I'm seeing it wrong and it's paint then it could be fine for years, I've painted alloys which are all scuffed round the rims for years and they don't appear to get much worse.

But if it's polished with lacquer then water will creep underneath and corrode as it goes making more lacquer lift and on and on... Don't make the same mistake as me and leave them for any time as the pitting starts then requiring heavy sanding to get to the bottom - if not done correctly then no amount of polishing will keep the corrosion at bay (yes I've still 1 wheel to sand deeper so I'm speaking from experience).
I've resorted to taking a knife along the paint/polished edges and just polish the faces frequently as I've read that re-lacquering them is just a waiting game until they get kerbed again, or lacquer peels off due to poor adhesion to the polished surface.. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #533329 Sun Aug 20 2017 4:08pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

The rims are the (two colour) OEM "21" 5 split-spoke ‘Style 507’ with Diamond Turned finish", similar to this.

Post #533332 Sun Aug 20 2017 4:19pm
insiorc

Well being diamond turned it's the same as polished - water will creep and cause all the lacquer to peel off and corrode underneath as it goes.

As a first step, I'd cover it with a sealant, wax or anything you have to keep the moisture out until you decide how you are going to go. I'll upload a couple of pics to show the result if you don't. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #533334 Sun Aug 20 2017 4:54pm
insiorc

Here is the result of neglecting a kerbing on polished or diamond turned wheels. Mine were't actually kerbed, this is just the result of a poor dealer refurb! This effect started within weeks, although these pics will be after about 5 months.

And here is the result after a good few hours of sanding, several stages of polishing. Infact this pic was taken by my 11 year old daughter who went out early while still in her pyjamas to polish my wheels - she knows how much work it took to get them back to a shine (I'm away so can't do them, so I've got a deal with my kids... Cool )!

I did speak to a company about refurbishing them but I was advised that even if I got them re-diamond cut then it was just a waiting game until the lacquer peeled off. I'm just testing to see how much effort is needed to keep them bare and regularly polish, with applying a good sealant (still testing for this bit). 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #533336 Sun Aug 20 2017 5:06pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

insiorc wrote:
As a first step, I'd cover it with a sealant, wax or anything you have to keep the moisture out until you decide how you are going to go.

Thanks; Candle wax, or car wax (aka Auto Glymn)?

Post #533343 Sun Aug 20 2017 5:52pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

PS; I've never been motivated by snazzy alloy wheels, but these came with the car. That said, quite why JLR fit such ludicrously delicate wheels to a car beggars belief Banging Head

Post #533347 Sun Aug 20 2017 6:50pm
insiorc

hafman wrote:
Thanks; Candle wax, or car wax (aka Auto Glymn)?

I guess candle wax might do the trick if that's all you have lying around, but I was thinking a car wax, something like Autoglym. A day or two won't kill them, you just need to get them protected asap unless you plan getting them refurbished soon.

It's not too bad yet as the road salt hasn't started being used - you can nearly watch them turn once that starts. I noticed mine were needing attention but was heading to work for 4 weeks, the weather temperature dropped while I was away and the road salt used, and that's why mine were so bad. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #533350 Sun Aug 20 2017 7:04pm
insiorc

hafman wrote:
PS; I've never been motivated by snazzy alloy wheels, but these came with the car. That said, quite why JLR fit such ludicrously delicate wheels to a car beggars belief Banging Head

Easy answer then, blast and paint or powder coat them. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #533355 Sun Aug 20 2017 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1