RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Hello
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

espaceboy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Autobiography Adriatic Blue
Hello

Hi, Just joined. Picked up my 2016 SDV8 Autobiography today. what a machine, Im the first owner
said goodby to my 2003 L322 V8 ( which was a 60K mile minter and I still love it), but the sdv8 is so muscular and super classy

I have been browsing the forum for the last week as a guest and it looks like there are a lot of good advise and knowledge to be had.
I hope to contribute soon.

first mod - wire across the ancillary relay in the boot to allow my ctek to charge the car. Lots of short journeys over winter = low battery
second mod - I might find a way to get quality sunglass holder into the car!

anyway, hello to all

yours Ricky ( espaceboy, I once had an espace Big Cry )

Post #532872 Mon Aug 14 2017 10:26pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the SDV8 club! I think it's a phenomenal car, but not everyone on here agrees! ....but how come it's a 2016 if you're the first owner, or is that a typo?

As for charging, why not buy a CTEK connector (you can get a bulkhead fitting one, with 'traffic light' battery state indicators) and install it in the boot? You can easily fit it in the space behind the left hand side panel, and there's plenty of room to route the wiring directly under the spare wheel. It makes a neat job, and the charger plugs straight into it.

Post #532873 Mon Aug 14 2017 10:38pm
espaceboy

Thanks for the hello. yes 16 plater, Previous owner was landrover, car was used by the sales team for its first 7000miles.
I know landtover have a branded ctek on their accessories list, but I don't see any details on where this plugs into the car loom. do you have any more details please?

I already have the ctek comfort connector (with traffic lights) but its terminated in a standard car plug for a 12v accessory socket. Is there another cteck cable that is a better fit into the standard loom, as yes I would like to remain factory

thanks again

Ricky

Post #532878 Mon Aug 14 2017 10:48pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Re: Hello

espaceboy wrote:

That's a bugbear of mine, there's a nice sized box perfect for storing glasses that they went and wrecked by shaping for drinks - why not leave it square as there's plenty room underneath, and then sell inserts the shape of drinks...let us choose! My XF was the same, really annoys me having that wasted space. I've the L320 so there is the tray on top of the fridge but no room to keep in a case to protect from scratches.

I'm interested in your idea for a holder. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #532880 Mon Aug 14 2017 11:03pm
espaceboy

Yup, you need shades to hand in a dedicates slot, not in a general cubby being scratched

on my old td5 I removed the internal grab handle above the door ( was only two m6 bolts) and put a sun glass holder in from a vauxhall. they come in different colours

like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pcs-Beige-Port...Swi0RX1kSI

I wonder Whistle

Post #532881 Mon Aug 14 2017 11:13pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

espaceboy wrote:
Thanks for the hello. yes 16 plater, Previous owner was landrover, car was used by the sales team for its first 7000miles.
I know landtover have a branded ctek on their accessories list, but I don't see any details on where this plugs into the car loom. do you have any more details please?

I already have the ctek comfort connector (with traffic lights) but its terminated in a standard car plug for a 12v accessory socket. Is there another cteck cable that is a better fit into the standard loom, as yes I would like to remain factory

thanks again

Ricky

The Land Rover CTEK, as you're probably already aware, is poor value, but also under-rated for the car, especially with the V8 diesel battery. If you search the forum, you'll find threads on this issue including lots of recommendations as to which CTEK to go for. I bought an MXS-5 (£57 on eBay), others went even bigger. Unlike the LR one, this also has a much more sophisticated charging cycle, and the top models allow you to use 12v in your car while it's plugged in and the engine is off, which some find useful (listening to the radio while cleaning the car?). As it happens, despite low miles (2,500 in almost six months) and lots of short journeys, the battery has been fine, and even stop-start works all the time (if it doesn't, it's usually a symptom of low charge in that battery) - maybe I'll need the charger more in winter(?).

The 'comfort connector' (stupid name!) I bought is the CTE-56380 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002OHXX60/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item) which I got for £19.95. If you look for the installation instructions for the LR version, (which is identical except the LR one has no traffic lights), it shows you how to install it. The connector has eyelet terminations which fit on the battery positive and fixed earth. For a neater finish, and to shorten the cable run, I accessed an earth on the right hand side rear of the spare tyre-well, rather than the route the LR instructions follow. You could, of course, fit eyelets to your existing comfort connector, but I guess that one isn't panel mounting, which makes a much neater job, and maybe the cables would also need extending. I'm away for three days at the moement, but I can send you pictures of mine installed later in the week if you'd like.

Post #532886 Tue Aug 15 2017 8:42am
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Hello

espaceboy wrote:

My glasses fit (in their case) in the small space at the forward end of the sliding centre-console cover. These are 'aviator' style specs. so not all that slim.

For those yet to purchase an RRS, the extended trim versions come with 'cubby boxes' in the doors utilising unused space under the door pulls.

Post #532887 Tue Aug 15 2017 8:46am
espaceboy

Thanks for the Ctek cable info, very interesting. I couldn't find the LR install guide though so any info appreciated.

I think I may however go with removing and shorting over the rear accessory relay in the rear cubby box. This will put the rear accessory socket perm live, which is great for the ctek but also great for add hoc use too for charging other toys when not on the move. Also it will be easier to remove the link and pop the relay back when I come to sell so quite stealthy

cheers

Richard Hodge

Post #532909 Tue Aug 15 2017 12:56pm
IRBails

Australia 

As a SDV8 owner I must agree, a great car with heaps of get and go with excellent fuel economy. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #532911 Tue Aug 15 2017 1:21pm
milesg

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

Same as mine, loving it!!! 2016 RRS Autobiography - 4.4 TDV8 - Santorini Black with Ivory Leather - Grey Alloys - A few toys

Post #532912 Tue Aug 15 2017 1:27pm
espaceboy

Thanks all, what a real friendly bunch.
SDV8 rocks

Post #532916 Tue Aug 15 2017 1:38pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

espaceboy wrote:
Thanks for the Ctek cable info, very interesting. I couldn't find the LR install guide though so any info appreciated.

I think I may however go with removing and shorting over the rear accessory relay in the rear cubby box. This will put the rear accessory socket perm live, which is great for the ctek but also great for add hoc use too for charging other toys when not on the move. Also it will be easier to remove the link and pop the relay back when I come to sell so quite stealthy

cheers

Richard Hodge

Hi, I'm back, so here is the link to the fitting instructions:

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....1781829920

The LR connector is less sophisticated than the one I recommended, and the charger less adequate, but otherwise the fitting is identical. As I said above, I'd run the negative cable to the right hand side of the spare wheel as there is a readily-accessible earth point there and I can vouch for the CTEK cable being long enough. The eyelet terminations supplied are large enough for both the battery +ve and the earth point. It's a lot easier to do than their instructions make it look, by the way!

I wouldn't personally use a permanently live 12v socket, this is a much superior solution. If you do go the permanent live route, be careful what you connect when the engine is not running as people seem to find the electronics susceptible to even modest discharge (although I haven't had any problems myself). There are loads of threads on here on this very subject!

Post #533133 Fri Aug 18 2017 9:40am
espaceboy

thanks for the reply and the instructions, this does look neater and your point is noted on discharge risks on Aux sockets.

Indeed a circular point on discharge, as the reason for all this work is to have a high quiescent battery voltage maintained on a regular basis by the ctek. I am practiced at plugging my old car ctek into the mains every night, like some eco hybrid routine!
Then I have no concerns on watching telly, play with the gizmos, charging accessories and leaving the car at the airport for 3 weeks in the snow without fear of low battery.

I have the Ctek MX7 which is on the beefy side and can support multiple battery types and also provide a steady state 12v to save settings if the car battery is disconnected

So I have the loom ordered from amazon and will fit this shortly

(I also carry a 12/24v Sealy battery jumper pack which I have used to help many a winter car).

Maybe I need to realise this isn't my old L322 where I had half of Halfords with me, but I hate not being able to fix silly problems and its a habit born from running older cars in my youth.

thanks again

Ricky

thanks again and have a great weekend

Post #533140 Fri Aug 18 2017 10:08am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Sorted! Smile

Post #533141 Fri Aug 18 2017 10:10am
Triple7

United Kingdom 

Whats CTEC? Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn