RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > What would you choose?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

NM74

United Kingdom 
What would you choose?

Ok, so I've been a avid reader of this forum for a while and this is my first post so go easy on me. Very Happy

It's now coming to decision time and appreciate its ultimately all down personal opinion, but wanted a sense check.

We need a family car, that will in part act as a motorway mile cruncher for business, balancing miles with current BMW 530. I do circa 30k miles per annum, so would expect this will be halved over 2 cars. The other 6 months of the year (balancing) would be used as school runs and short work commute by the better half.

I have the option to purchase a RR 14 plate HSE with 76k for £37k. Owned by family member, so I know its history and know it's been fully maintained by main dealer.

Or.....for similar price I could get 6 month old discovery sport ex demo, probably a HSE black pack.

Or.....maybe a 12 month old merc GLE AMG, with less than 15k miles.

So do I pay £37k for a 3.5 year old car with relatively high miles of buy something newer that will do the same job (but not in the same style!)

Thoughts?

Post #532801 Mon Aug 14 2017 11:06am
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Hi NM74. There are people far more experienced and knowledgeable around RR's on this site than me and they can advise you best when it comes to LRs. But I have owned several cars over the years and I would not touch a Merc. I used to use them regularly as a company hire car - and I just don't like the cars. The interior is in my opinion horrible -and so expensive to maintain!

At the risk of being ex-communicated by others on this site the best cars I have owned (with the exception of my current RRS) have been Skodas. I've had 2 Octavia VRS's, and a Superb Estate. They are fantastic value. So if you do stray a bit from LR look at the Skoda. You won't be sorry, and from your summary of how you'll be using the car, worth a look. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #532803 Mon Aug 14 2017 11:22am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

This guy Doug DeMuro in USA has just swapped his FF old RR in for a Merc.

I look forward to seeing more videos, if you aren't in a rush

Post #532807 Mon Aug 14 2017 11:59am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

BJH1959 wrote:
Hi NM74. There are people far more experienced and knowledgeable around RR's on this site than me and they can advise you best when it comes to LRs. But I have owned several cars over the years and I would not touch a Merc. I used to use them regularly as a company hire car - and I just don't like the cars. The interior is in my opinion horrible -and so expensive to maintain!

At the risk of being ex-communicated by others on this site the best cars I have owned (with the exception of my current RRS) have been Skodas. I've had 2 Octavia VRS's, and a Superb Estate. They are fantastic value. So if you do stray a bit from LR look at the Skoda. You won't be sorry, and from your summary of how you'll be using the car, worth a look.

I have a Mercedes SL500, and, apart from the fact that there are no fixed service intervals (with my low mileage I can go a lot more than 12 months) servicing costs are far cheaper than for an RRS (unless you have the five-year deal, which I do - luckily!). This is my second SL, and I have never had any problems with them whatsoever. (I know it's subjective, but I don't find the interior 'horrible' either - maybe the hire cars you had were low spec. models?).

Post #532820 Mon Aug 14 2017 3:07pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Hi donny dog - You're right, it is a subjective opinion and the specs I've had on a temporary basis certainly weren't the highest. My son has a mid-range Merc although I can't be sure of the actual model and he's not had good experiences. I'm sure like all the rest though there are good & bad. Thumbs Up Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #532822 Mon Aug 14 2017 3:54pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I loved both my (middle of the road) Mercs, Easily on a par with the RRS, if not a little better as long as you don't go off road. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #532823 Mon Aug 14 2017 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1