RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Returning member, advice on a buying new RRS Autobiography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Breham15

United Kingdom 
Returning member, advice on a buying new RRS Autobiography

Hi guys

It has been 5 long years and looks like I may return to the fold in the very near future.

On an off chance, we come across a RRS autobiography that is 99% the spec we would order that due to a cancelled order in September. However, I have a few questions as me and the wife keep going round in circles.

1. Would you buy a diesel with all the hype and potential fuel increase rumours on diesel?
2. This is a cancelled order and only getting around £5,000 off list, is this any good? which is only circa 6%?
3. With the mid cycle update on the RRS FY18, would you wait?

Appreciate any thoughts, may make a decision tomorrow.

Rich

Post #532323 Tue Aug 08 2017 7:39pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Rich, I would buy a diesel, at the moment you should be getting at least 6% off a factory order, some are getting up to 14%, I would only take that deal if they are giving you a great trade in, deposit contribution & free service pack aswell, check carwow as they are giving around 6.8% off a factory order AB.

There will be a lot of stock available over the next few months as the my17 are run out ready for the launch of my18, only issue is if you wait to get one of the first my18's there will be no or very little discount available for at least 6 months.

Good luck!

Post #532354 Tue Aug 08 2017 9:49pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

"some are getting up to 14%"

Really?

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #532356 Tue Aug 08 2017 9:53pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

RRS man told us on another post that a friend of his recently got 14% of a my17 order, as I said car wow is now offering 6.8% off factory orders as a starting point without pushing the dealers, that's on an £85k AB mind. When I got my my16.5 this time last year I got around 8-9% when you added the deposit contribution, free service pack & pure guard etc to the 6% discount, it all adds up!

Post #532361 Tue Aug 08 2017 10:25pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

If you like the car then buy it, you can wait for ever for updates. When I ordered my car back in March the 'experts' were saying that a revision would be announced in July, fortunately I ignored them.
As for the pressure on diesel cars I bought my by pcp for the first time ever. My reasoning is that the interest I will pay on the credit is the premium I pay for getting a guaranteed future value. If the price of thecar bombs then I don't have to worry.
I got a 5% discount plus £1,500 finance contribution on my HSE, so close to 6.5% on a factory order rather than a car in stock.
Tim

Post #532363 Tue Aug 08 2017 10:39pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

FWIW I've just placed an order for a new RRS AB SDV8 today for delivery in October after the dealer screwed up my first order http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic48361.html. Because they screwed up my first order I pushed very hard for as big a discount as possible

Yes a facelifted RRS (and FFRR) is on its way and I was told that its due in March. The dealer couldnt or wouldnt tell me if any new engines were going to be introduced but its a fair bet that some of the engines in the new Velar will find their way into the RRS. One of the reasons I decided to go ahead with my order for October was that I wanted the SDV8 engine. I may be completely wrong but I wouldnt mind betting that the SDV8 engine is phased out with the facelift and replaced with a high output 6 cylinder engine. Thats a complete guess. The dealer did volunteer that the updated RRS will have an interior like the Velar. I looked at the Velar interior and it is beautiful but the additional touchscreen for the climate controls doesnt do it for me. I just dont like touchscreens in cars and the satnav touchscreen is one too many as far as I'm concerned. So to sum up I was happy to go with the pre facelift RRS

With regard to diesel v petrol, my personal opinion is that the current anti diesel furore will blow over just like the anti 4x4 furore from a few years back. In the end nothing is going to change the fact that a big heavy vehicle like the RRS is best powered by a big torquey diesel if it is going to give acceptable economy

As for discount, you have to consider whatever discount you get on the price of the vehicle plus the deposit contribution you will get on the PCP they will try to sell you. Its worth signing up for the PCP even if you dont want it, getting the deposit contribution and exercising your right to pull out of it (see threads on this forum about this subject). So considering the price discount and deposit contribution I got a total of 7% off the cost of the vehicle. I did shop around with other dealers and I was not offered anything better than this, at least on a RRS. I was also offered a couple of new in stock FFRRs with a total discount of 11.5%.

Hope this helps

Post #532366 Tue Aug 08 2017 11:04pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I had to scroll back to double check I hadn't written this myself! Shocked I agree exactly with your opinions on this - the only difference being I've already got my MY17 SDV8. It's a fantastic package, by the way, and well worth your extra wait - you'll love it! Smile

Post #532386 Wed Aug 09 2017 9:17am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I had to scroll back to double check I hadn't written this myself! Shocked I agree exactly with your opinions on this - the only difference being I've already got my MY17 SDV8. It's a fantastic package, by the way, and well worth your extra wait - you'll love it!

Yes actually the dealer did me a favour by f***ing up my original order. When I placed that order back in April I was umming and ahhing between a SDV6, as my current RRS, and a SDV8 and I finally went for quite a heavily optioned HSE Dynamic SDV6. But what I didnt realise at the time (and I have since read on this forum), was that the way PCPs work, you end up paying for pretty much the whole cost of any options over the term of the PCP. The result of that is that the monthly PCP cost for a heavily optioned HSE Dynamic SDV6 is not far off that of a lightly optioned Autobiography SDV8 which made it a no brainer as far as I'm concerned

Yes I'm really looking forward to the AB SDV8 in a way that I wasnt really that excited about the new HSE SDV6. As they say, you cant beat a V8 (even if it is a diesel)

Post #532394 Wed Aug 09 2017 10:40am
kmpowell

1.Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.

HTH. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #532397 Wed Aug 09 2017 11:07am
Breham15

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am now at just below 8% and they are saying it is best and final. I don't think this is enough to compel me to do the deal now.

Post #532407 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:16pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

I would honestly wait until second week in September as there will be loads of stock about especially if your not that fussy on spec, they will be desperate to hit registration month targets & end of quarter targets, I might try my luck again then myself.

If not go for a factory order for at least a 7% discount as per car wow at least you get exactly what you want then!

Post #532410 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:25pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Does this include any 'free' money via the loan incentive scheme?( A/B's were attracting a £1,500 contribution if you took out a minimum loan of, from memory, £10k, which you can immediately cancel if you don't need it and keep the contribution). Also, when comparing discounts, it's important to know which price you're basing it on. When a dealer talks about 'X% discount', that's usually the price from the factory including factory fitted extras but not any dealer-fit accessories or free service pack, etc. If the 8% is your calculation and is based on the full price, it may not be comparable with the apparently higher percentages other forum users have referred to. I had every accessory available bunged on mine (couldn't resist! Embarassed ), so the differences between the two percentage calculations can be significant. If you are being offered what works out at 8% of the total delivered price, I reckon that's not a bad deal on a car that fits your needs to well.

Post #532411 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:28pm
Breham15

United Kingdom 

Thanks Danny, the 8% is off full list, its the way I look at it. A day of back and forth I feel with the dealer and the car fits our spec 100%.

Post #532413 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:33pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Push for the 8% + Deposit contribution and a free service plan - do your sums and it will be around 12% in total discount.

They usually say discount or contribution but to have done well in a deal you need both! Friends have done it hence one who managed to get 14% off a RRS AB listed - at the time the contribution on an AB was £3000 but now I think its £2k

Post #532423 Wed Aug 09 2017 3:20pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

It was still £3,000 when I got mine in March, but half of that is the dealer contribution. You can get the LR half (hence I got £1,500) but you'd be lucky to get the dealer half if you also got a good discount (which I did). If it's gone down to £2,000, presumably you'd now get £1,000 plus your discount.

Post #532428 Wed Aug 09 2017 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>