RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > how does service plan & high miles work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

riverblanche

United Kingdom 
how does service plan & high miles work?

Hi,
looking for a RRS2 and have the service plan on my list of things the car should have

I understand the service plan covers 5 years Or 50,000 miles

so if you do 9000 miles a year you could get 5 services covered (the 16, 32. 48. 60. 76)
But
if you do 20,000 miles a year you would only get 3 services Confused the 16, 32 & 48 all done on time in less than 3 years
but you then go over the 50k before the next service is due so you have to pay for the 60 and 76 Question

Have I understood that correctly ?

Thumbs Up

Post #531933 Wed Aug 02 2017 1:18pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

it was the same when I was going to buy a new Discovery sport,,service plan was 5 years but service intervals were only every 2 years because I only do about 5k per year I was only getting 2 services in the 5 year as the 3rd service dropped on year 3.When I tried explaining this to the salesman it was hard work.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #531945 Wed Aug 02 2017 3:22pm
Rich

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

On my RRS1 (2009) service interval is 12 months OR mileage(can't remember the actual figure offhand). So I have it serviced every 12 months although I only do about 5K miles a year.

So last year I had the belts changed. It had only done about 45K but the belts should be changed after 7 years OR 105K (or thereabouts).

Are latest models' service recommendations different ie. based on just mileage with no regard to time.

I think I would have it serviced every year and get the 5 services covered by the plan.

Post #531949 Wed Aug 02 2017 4:48pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

What Rich says sounds right to me. Has something changed? Or are the service plan people just trying to avoid their obligations? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #531950 Wed Aug 02 2017 5:16pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think you misunderstand the system - for RRS1 it was 12 months OR 12,000 (IIRC) WHICHEVER CAME FIRST
So if you did 12,000 or less miles pa then you had an annual service, if you did 20,000 mile pa then you had to have the car serviced at 12,000 miles or lost any warranty.
L494 is still 12 monthly but mileage has increased to something like 16,000 miles with the same WHICHEVER COMES FIRST proviso
A lot of people don't see the "Whichever comes first" bit! It is also not good for the car to run lots of low miles in the year as although the oils don't get so contaminated they tend to get condensation inside the engine more and water in the oil isn't to great for an engine either hence still important that the car has the annual service
As far as I know the reason is nothing to do with the wear on the engine components it is the fact that, especially with diesels, the oil becomes very heavily contaminated with carbon deposits and it's lubrication properties are vastly reduced 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Aug 02 2017 5:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #531954 Wed Aug 02 2017 5:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m13lky

United Kingdom 

I have the service plan on my rrs2 it says in the manual it's 12monthly or 16k miles whichever comes first, my car was a showroom model & pdi'd in June 2016 even though it wasn't registered until the 1st of September the clock had started ticking. I had then to get the first service done at 5k miles in May as we do short journeys through the week, the dealer checked everything and said all was ok it was the ecu bring the service on early due to low mileage runs etc & nearly 3 months sitting in the showroom.

I questioned this & they said I had nothing to worry about as even with low mileage we do around 8k per year, we would still get 5 services if we keep it the full 5 years, only difference is the light will come on in may/June rather than September.

Post #531955 Wed Aug 02 2017 5:33pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I thought I had understood the service plan correctly and it is as Andy, Tim and M13lky have said 12 months or 16000 which ever comes first.
So if you do more miles you lose out Shocked
Serviced every 12 months before you reach the 16k and you get 5 services worth about £2650 of services
(3x£450 + 2x£650)
do 20k miles a year and you get 3 services worth about £1550
(2x£450 + 1x£650)
Still well worth the same £699 it cost for the plan I know. Mr. Green

I am looking at a (nearly) 2 year old car with a service plan on Thumbs Up but it has done 38k and will get its 2nd service (6k late on miles Rolling Eyes ) before sale Thumbs Up
we do about 8k/year so get the 48k service next year (few K miles early) but sadly that's it Big Cry by year 4 we will be over the 50k
Just does not seem right Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up

Post #531958 Wed Aug 02 2017 7:58pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Riverblanche I would check with the dealer if it is still covered under the LR warranty as if it's 6k miles late for its second service I don't think the warranty will stand from LR, it may actually have had 2 services & be due it's third at 48k? If you are buying private or from a non franchise dealer I would leave it as I would expect LR not to honour any potential warranty claim if it really is 6k miles late for the second service.

These cars are great but most need some even minor warranty work in the first 3 years which is expensive if you end up having to pay for it.

Post #531965 Wed Aug 02 2017 8:33pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi M13lky,
it is with a main dealer and it was one of the first questions I asked after finding out when it had its first service,
all good Warranty stands, balance of original warranty then two year Approved warranty takes over.
Second service B the £685 one is just due on time now 1 year from first service which was the one done late

It still seems wrong even though it has the service plan I should get the next A service 48k the third service but no more after that

good job the rest of the car is the spec I want Thumbs Up

Post #531971 Wed Aug 02 2017 11:06pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You're still getting some of the services for free and you're complaining that it's not enough? Shocked 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #531981 Thu Aug 03 2017 9:59am
wilf

riverblanche wrote:
Hi M13lky,
it is with a main dealer and it was one of the first questions I asked after finding out when it had its first service,
all good Warranty stands, balance of original warranty then two year Approved warranty takes over.
Second service B the £685 one is just due on time now 1 year from first service which was the one done late

It still seems wrong even though it has the service plan I should get the next A service 48k the third service but no more after that

good job the rest of the car is the spec I want Thumbs Up

I would ask for this in writing, definitely. A fundamental term of the warranty is that services are performed on time. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #531990 Thu Aug 03 2017 10:55am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

And there isn't just a miles limit passed service there is a time limit and it is measured in days........... IIRC provided you advise the servicing dealer when the date due is approaching they can extend the grace period up to 28 days. I had this problem last year when the dealer couldn't take my car in for a service before the due date and I was going abroad for 3 months before it could be done. Due to the "special circumstances" and that I agreed that the car was not going cover more than 50 miles in the period I was away the warranty and service agreement were maintained. The dealer offered a couple of options too - either book the car in by email before I came home or let them collect the car from where it is kept when I am away and service it, then return it. I did the former when I had an exact date for return to the UK. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #531995 Thu Aug 03 2017 2:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
Will ask for it in writing but they are putting the two year landrover approved Warranty on.
may be I should make contact via LRCR on here for a response ?

RRSTDV8 Yes if I can get it why not, it stays with the car and adds value to a car that has it, depending on the miles dictates that value, but I was also raising the point that the original owner of the car that paid for it loses out if they do a lot of mile a year Thumbs Up

Post #531998 Thu Aug 03 2017 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1