2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #531807 Mon Jul 31 2017 10:24pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

2014 vogue Se . Fv64fhd was the Reg.

I see guy salmon have it advertised at 59 k. I got 52 on the part exchange so that's a healthy margin for them.

Post #532388 Wed Aug 09 2017 9:42am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Healthy margin indeed! Twisted Evil

I reckon part-ex fairy stories are the biggest lies that dealers ever tell. "It will cost us £2.5k to put a two-year warranty on it", "Yes, yours is pristine, but we can make any car look as good as that for very little outlay", "the market for your model is low at the moment", "I've checked with my manager and this is as high as we can go", "we've already added an extra £X over book value because you are a regular customer", "they are just not selling at the moment", and, most annoyingly, "we don't look to make profit out of part-exchange vehicles". In reality, several of my PX cars have been pre-sold and were gone the same day. Another, like yours, had several thousand pounds added and put on the forecourt the very afternoon I traded it in.

When you own a car that you've really looked after and are proud of - indeed, reluctant to trade in - I think the visible profiteering on PX vehicles is even more annoying than the hidden profiteering on new vehicles.

Post #532391 Wed Aug 09 2017 9:56am
kmpowell

I'm going to stick up for the dealer a bit here, it's in their interest to get it as low as possible, because they have a bunch of costs we often forget about...

- Warranty cost
- Prep & full check
- Replace a couple of tyres or pads or etc
- Forecourt depreciation over a couple of months
- Purchased haggled price if £59k is too expensive.
- VAT the dealer pays on any profit
- Salesman commission
- Costs to group for showroom etc

So what looks like a £7k margin can in reality easily be wiped out significantly. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #532399 Wed Aug 09 2017 11:18am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Some fair points, but many that don't apply in my last specific case (traded in a RR Evoque for a new one).

The car was on its fifth anniversary of purchase, so I had it serviced/MOT'd at the time of handover, therefore no work was required but also no work would have been required to 'bring it up to speed' (it only had 23,000 on the clock).
The front tyres had only just been replaced due to an irreparable puncture, rears were like new.
It was sold the same day to a customer who had 'pre-ordered' it, so no forecourt costs or depreciation involved.
I also purchased a £96,000 RRS, so I think they'd made plenty of commission etc.! (problem is that new car sales, used car sales, and service department are all separate cost centres so all required to individually turn a profit).

Post #532403 Wed Aug 09 2017 11:54am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Donny you are correct, when I buy a new car the dealer normally makes a profit on the new sale, profit overall on their quarterly franchise target which ratchets back over all new cars registered in that quarter, so if they get £x for selling 100 units in the quarter, then if they hit the next band say 125 units, they get £y not just on the extra 25 units but right back over the 125 so it's in their interests to go for lower margin but high turnover certainly if they are a big group dealer. They also then make profit on the part ex, which like you my cars are always pristine in every way, which they can easily check over, also ours depreciate monthly but if they have used stock most of them don't write them back every month if you watch their online stock, then they make profit on the finance & finally any rip off add ons, gap, tyre insurance etc.

I feel £4-5k is more than enough across an immaculate prestige car as long as it is as described. Also as we have said before the price variance is the big issue for me for very similar cars which can easily be £10k, I bet not much of that finds its way to the guy who's trsddd it in!

I'm afraid I treat them all the same, as in my eyes we want the best overall deal we can get realistically, but they want to squeeze every last penny out of us no matter how they do it, every new car deal is like a challenge for me on that basis, if I don't feel like I've won I walk away, wait a few months & try again.

Post #532408 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:18pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

kmpowell wrote:
I'm going to stick up for the dealer a bit here, it's in their interest to get it as low as possible, because they have a bunch of costs we often forget about...

- Warranty cost
- Prep & full check
- Salesman commission

So what looks like a £7k margin can in reality easily be wiped out significantly.

Not much of the above applies to my car.

Still under manufacturers warranty and then auc warranty already in place from my original purchase .

Tyres new 2k ago

Serviced 3 months ago and everything mint.

Prep and check over minimal I d imagine .

Anyway I don't mind if they make a few quid

Post #532420 Wed Aug 09 2017 2:32pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Gents,

It's called Capitalism and is very probably exactly the same system you use to gain the finance to pay for a new RRS. Suck it up and get on with it!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #532421 Wed Aug 09 2017 3:16pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

It's only capitalism if it's you making the profit, otherwise it's the exploitation of the proletariat! Laughing

Post #532427 Wed Aug 09 2017 4:33pm
tomek

United Kingdom 

james5599 wrote:
2014 vogue Se . Fv64fhd was the Reg.

I see guy salmon have it advertised at 59 k. I got 52 on the part exchange so that's a healthy margin for them.

james5599 ,it looks like I am going to collect your previous car Smile
I tried to contact by pm but I have just registered

Post #536059 Thu Sep 21 2017 12:53am
tomek

United Kingdom 

james5599 wrote:
kmpowell wrote:

- Warranty cost
- Prep & full check
- Salesman commission

So what looks like a £7k margin can in reality easily be wiped out significantly.

Not much of the above applies to my car.

Still under manufacturers warranty and then auc warranty already in place from my original purchase .

Tyres new 2k ago

Serviced 3 months ago and everything mint.

Prep and check over minimal I d imagine .

Anyway I don't mind if they make a few quid

fv64fhd sold at 55.750 Wink

Post #536063 Thu Sep 21 2017 1:42am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

End of day, everybody is happy, a fair price, the LR 2 year warranty package is excellent and includes 2 years full roadside assistance, 2 Year MOT warranty, a LR half day off road experience course, 7 days insurance etc, none of which you would get from private purchase for around the same money. Thumbs Up John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #536081 Thu Sep 21 2017 1:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12