RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > No more new Diesel or Petrol cars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black
No more new Diesel or Petrol cars

So no more new Petrol or Diesel vehicles (Cars/Vans, Motorcycles, and small lorries) after 2040.
This seems a very crazy answer before there are hydrogen or electric cars with the range and capabilities of the RRS, as well as a 30min max charge time.
It also bans all new Hybrid cars so you cannot by pass the catch that way.
The government will also loose a small fortune on loss of carbon fuels, they can't load electric prices surely?

Thoughts and comments on this please.................. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Wed Jul 26 2017 6:49pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #531329 Wed Jul 26 2017 6:40pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Just read somewhere that the ban doesn't affect hybrid cars... Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #531330 Wed Jul 26 2017 6:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnski

The Government report includes no more Hybrid cars after 2040, unless already altered it, but by then who knows what they will say, many fuel stations will close. Embarassed John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #531331 Wed Jul 26 2017 6:48pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I was wondering why there were queues at the garages tonight! Razz Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #531333 Wed Jul 26 2017 7:00pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Where will they get all there tax from then Whistle

Post #531336 Wed Jul 26 2017 7:08pm
squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Its a ban on new sales so there will be petrol and diesel around for some time after that, and they will need fuel. However as time goes on and fuel isn't needed so much are we going to be able to use classic cars, or have they got to go too. there is no tax on electric vehicles and there will be no fuel tax to be paid, so a massive loss in revenue. Also not all houses have garages or drives, who gets sued when someone trips over a cable on the foot path. The street light chargers wont work, as there is only one light to around 10 houses, and you cant get 10 cars by one light, so again cables down the foot path.
I do understand the reasons and need to cut pollution, but this seems to be like putting the cart before the horse.

Post #531344 Wed Jul 26 2017 8:46pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I can't fathom why they would ban hybrids, as they solve quite a few of the huge problems surrounding all-electric vehicles, such as range, availability of charging points, time spent at charging points if mid-journey, home charging when premises unsuitable, etc. If this is really what they intend, of course - in the same breath commentators are comparing with 'similar' Norwegian plans, which DO include hybrids. People in rural areas would be stuck without infrastructure as well - they haven't managed to get broadband to my house yet (not to mention mains water, sewage, and gas!) so I won't hold my breath waiting for charging points in the area. Then there is revenue - apparently 4% of government income comes from fuel duty, so there's some 'innovative thinking' required there to find a way to replace it (apart from squeezing the remaining i.c.e.owners for everything they've got, of course).Personally, I think the timing will slip as reality dawns and the urgent necessity to demonstrate eco-credentials passes, but luckily I'll be nearly 100 by then anyway, so won't have to live to see the chaos of this and all the other retrograde changes that are constantly occurring.

Post #531359 Wed Jul 26 2017 9:05pm
phillh

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Where will they get the electricity to charge all the cars/trucks from? There is very little spare capacity at the moment. Are they banking on new technologies , i.e. fuel cell etc? I suppose 20 years is plenty of time for technology to leap forward.

Hang one, didn't France do this a couple of weeks ago?

Post #531360 Wed Jul 26 2017 9:06pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Yes, they did, and I for one laughed at their stupidity and was grateful that we weren't so daft here! Confused Maybe Macron should jump under a bus and see if Gove does that as well?? Laughing

Post #531373 Wed Jul 26 2017 9:22pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

phillh wrote:
Where will they get the electricity to charge all the cars/trucks from?

That's easy - the Electricity Tree. It's in the same orchard as the Money Tree that £1 billion dropped out of and landed in Northern Ireland.

Post #531375 Wed Jul 26 2017 9:23pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

In transport/vehicle evolution a couple of decades is no time at all. a silly headline grabbing and premature announcement that will get modified.

Post #531377 Wed Jul 26 2017 9:28pm
Johnski

Electricity and batteries are not the answer with present or projected technology.
The Government will loose hundreds of millions of pounds, yes I'm sure they will! Whistle
Hydrogen and other fuel technology, must be a better course than batteries?
All the new trains currently being built, except a few pure electric ones, are Diesel or Electric/Diesel so they can travel on non electrified lines.
No mention of replacement of masses of smokey buses on diesel, most towns don't have the new London busses, and don't get me started on the lorry fleets. Where are the batteries going to fit for hundred of miles trips and abroad and hauling 44 Tons? All very ill thought out.
Current diesel technology has now vastly reduced these levels and if every Car and van are taken off the road, the Aircraft flying overhead will still pump out more pollution than all those cars removed, because of the massive pollution they produce including even the latest designs.
Don't believe all the bullshit, some obviously is true, but much isn't, and the plans to remove speed humps, traffic lights and increase speed limits have been told for years to government to reduce pollution, so why do we still have to wait till 2040? Censored John

Post #531380 Wed Jul 26 2017 10:02pm
GodivaNige

England 

There is no way the infrastructure will be in place in 23 years time. 2040 will come and the target won't be met, as with any U.K. Government of late, this target will be missed and put back at least another 10 years.
The worlds' oil companies will not roll over on this and given that the majority of pension plans are invested in oil production, this will be one almighty headache for any government to overcome
Until such time as alternative powered vehicles have the ability, performance, durability and cost as current fossil fuelled vehicles, no government will be able to enforce this proposed legislation through
Finally, given this country barely produces enough electricity to cope with our current energy demands, how do they foresee building the power stations, wind farms and solar farms necessary to delivery the additional demand within the next 20+ years? Just look at how long it has taken for Hinkley Point to get sorted!

Post #531382 Wed Jul 26 2017 10:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One way that the government could reduce emissions today would be to force road haulage off the roads and back onto the great canal network which is hugely under-utilised. A barge can haul as much as most big trucks but just not quite as quickly.
If they are intent on removing emissions producing transportation then how are they going to get around re-engining all the ships that ply the oceans - they burn the lowest quality, most emissions producing oil in their huge engines until they get into port when they then have to change over to ultra low sulphur diesel oil now, but they still produce more emissions than all the cars, trucks and planes put together. Shipowners have manage to avoid having to comply with most emissions regulations to date and are still kicking and screaming about having to burn ULSDO in the European emissions control area because it is expensive and most marine Diesel engines have problems running on it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #531398 Thu Jul 27 2017 7:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GodivaNige

England 

Given that new car registrations in 2016 topped 2.7 million, lets assume then, in 2040 there will be at least that figure in electric car sales.
So, the government has 23 years to dig up every road in the uk that allows on street parking, every car park in Britain and every motorway service area which will need a lot more charging posts than they currently have, basically everywhere in Britain that vehicles are parked for any length of time. They then have to lay literally thousands of miles of cable, install millions of charging posts, build new substations, build at least another 20Gw of power generation etc etc. All within current planning legislations, all with the consent of the public and business and with no elongated legal matters to slow things down.

WON'T HAPPEN! Pipe dreams.

Post #531405 Thu Jul 27 2017 7:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>