RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Just come back from France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Just come back from France

We've just come back from our hols in France and the first long distance trip in the truck. Absolutely brilliant, it went faultlessly and was so comfortable, my wife fell asleep. Plodded along at 70 and got great fuel range, although not worked out what the MPG was yet. Fuel over there was 113.5 euro which on the day worked out at 99p per litre of diesel. I could go on and bore you all but the car played its part and added to the occasion. Thumbs Up

Post #529959 Mon Jul 10 2017 11:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You went in a truck rather than your RRS? Jeez I would have gone in the limo like RRS.............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #529966 Mon Jul 10 2017 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stevepd

Its a wife thing which has stuck. Most things are referred to as "thingy" or "whatsit" and the RRS has been labelled the truck. She lost the ability to properly describe anything some years ago Shocked

Post #529968 Mon Jul 10 2017 1:30pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I refer to my RRS as "truck" sometimes. It's usually preceded by a suitable adjective when I do, however!

Back to the OP, the RRS like all of the big Land Rovers is an excellent mile muncher let down only by its thirst, really. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #529975 Mon Jul 10 2017 3:24pm
StateOfPlay

United Kingdom 

I took my RRS to France a few weeks back, went down to Cannes and then to Monaco, before heading back home 12 days later. Was a dream to drive, so comfortable. I have done the journey several times before, in Merc C220's, Audi A4Cab, Mondeo, VW Golf+, Vauxhall Astra. But this was the first time I still felt refreshed when I came to journey end. No headache, just a need for a big long swim to loosen up all the joints. The only downside was the amount of fuel I used, I had to stop 3 times on the way down as we hit huge problems at Lyon, and twice on the way back.

So glad I took the plunge and bought my RRS. What a car!

Where in France did you drive to?

Post #529986 Mon Jul 10 2017 4:27pm
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I'm still sitting pool side in Merindol, diesel here was 1.05EUR and the 130kph speed limit makes for quick journey and holding at 9l per 100km.

Fab rental for 2 weeks with a great ancient village steps away, many restaurants and a superb Cave Vin! 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #530003 Mon Jul 10 2017 6:54pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Totally agree about feeling good after a long drive. Seating position helps a lot with that. Too many cars have a low arse/high knee seating position. Terrible for your back and especially if you're prone to sciatica. I took mine from Oxford to Folkestone and back for work soon after I got it, about 10 weeks after a discectomy and felt perfectly good. Couldn't have done it in another car.

Post #530029 Mon Jul 10 2017 8:59pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

I too have had an L5-S1 microdiscectomy and the Sport is only car I can sit in for more than an hour... Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #530034 Mon Jul 10 2017 9:32pm
tom0311

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Same one I had. Not meaning to derail the thread (apologies) but how long ago was it? How was the recovery?

I had a C250 before on lease, had to ditch it as no way I could get back in it after the op. RRS most comfortable car I've ever sat in or driven. Couldn't drive anything else now, I'm converted for life.

Post #530040 Mon Jul 10 2017 9:40pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

I also took my RRS to the South of France at the end of May for the Monte-Carlo GP. Left London on Wednesday evening - got the Euro Shuttle and stopped at Saint Quentin, then did the drive to Nice on Thursday where we stayed.

Trip back was done in a day. Left Nice at on Bank Holiday Monday at 6:15am and was back home in London by 8pm. All fuel stops on the way back except for one coincided with our food / comfort breaks, otherwise I think we could have shaved another 30 mins of our drive back.

And the RRS was absolutely superb Thumbs Up

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #530041 Mon Jul 10 2017 9:40pm
Stevepd

StateOfPlay wrote:

We hired a Farm house in Brece down near Mayenne, we're going again in September brilliant couple that owned it and we got on very well. Sat nav said it was 488 miles door to door so easily did it on a tank full. Location was very rural and in September we're going property hunting, with looking to sell and buy and hopefully be mortgage free. Our son has his graduation tomorrow so suddenly life for us is great at the mo.

Post #530061 Tue Jul 11 2017 8:23am
BKHK

Australia 

I had an L5 discectomy in 2010. Still have some residual nerve pain and can get sore after sitting for a long time but overall holding up well after 7 years. Unfortunately my back isn't great after 9000 hours of helicopter flying.

Back on thread, I am finding my "new" old RRS very comfortable, actually I had forgotten how comfortable they are. Its nice to be in one again after 6 years.

Post #530116 Tue Jul 11 2017 3:24pm
StateOfPlay

United Kingdom 

Stevepd wrote:
StateOfPlay wrote:

We hired a Farm house in Brece down near Mayenne, we're going again in September brilliant couple that owned it and we got on very well. Sat nav said it was 488 miles door to door so easily did it on a tank full. Location was very rural and in September we're going property hunting, with looking to sell and buy and hopefully be mortgage free. Our son has his graduation tomorrow so suddenly life for us is great at the mo.

Lovely, glad you enjoyed the holiday. Sounds like a really exciting future for you. It was our goal to buy a home in France but the Brexit business has put us off for now. My Auntie lived near to Limoges for about 10 years, got a really large home for the money. Only moved back when my Uncle passed as she was lonely out there on her own.

Hope you have a great day tomorrow.

Post #530153 Tue Jul 11 2017 9:13pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I took mine to SW Portugal (Lagos area) earlier in June. 15 hours from Inverness to Portsmouth, 23 hours on ferry to Bilbao and then another 12 hours from Bilbao to Lagos. Similar on the way back, although we departed from Santander this time. Stroll in the park really. Nice cabins on the ferry and a good sleep after the long drives, but really the RRS takes this sort of journey absolutely in its stride. Managed an overall 38.2 MPG, but the on-board computer was telling me 46 MPG!!!! Who do they think they are kidding? I was pleased enough with what I actually got. Car has gone better than ever since the long run and seems to have improved its MPG even on the comparatively short runs I do here at home.

I love the GPS when travelling South from home. It gives directions to get on the A9 and then tells you to continue straight for 104 miles and at the roundabout take the 3rd exit. This is in Perth!!!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #530214 Wed Jul 12 2017 9:33pm
madridpunch

Netherlands 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

tom0311 wrote:
Totally agree about feeling good after a long drive. Seating position helps a lot with that. Too many cars have a low arse/high knee seating position. Terrible for your back and especially if you're prone to sciatica. I took mine from Oxford to Folkestone and back for work soon after I got it, about 10 weeks after a discectomy and felt perfectly good. Couldn't have done it in another car.

Totally agree, the main reason for me getting my RRS was a regular commute of over 300 miles (Northampton to Eindhoven) and increasing pain from sciatica.

So far totally fixed it!

Post #530229 Thu Jul 13 2017 1:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>