RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Multiple knock / clunk sounds on steering left
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

marzman

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Multiple knock / clunk sounds on steering left

Hi all,

I've replaced my lower control arms, front ARB bushes, and front drop links in the last year, each of those curing a specific problem at the time.

3 months on and i've got a new noise. It started as a single loud clunk/knock when applying steering lock to the left. It clunked at about 50% of the steering wheel rotation if that makes sense. Since then, it's increased to 4-5 knocks throughout the steering wheel travel now - all only when turning left, or winding the lock back off. No problems when steering to the right.

Any ideas guys? It's been in my local garage for 2 days but they've been unable to trace it.

Post #529189 Tue Jun 27 2017 7:55pm
marzman

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Small update...

I removed Fuse 9 (Dynamic Response for the ACE bar) from the engine bay fuse box. I would say 75% of the clunking sounds stop with this fuse removed, meaning they must be caused by the anti-roll bar.

Specifically:

With the fuse IN, there are lots of small clunk sounds and the occasional big clunk sound.
With the fuse OUT, the small clunk sounds stop, but there is still the occasional big clunk sound.

Im thinking... if the ACE bar piston is moving too freely due to lack of fluid/pressure when active it might be clunking every time it tries to move. With the fuse removed, the larger clunk might just be gravity moving the piston in/out.

Does this sound feasible to anyone?

ACE fluid reservoir was at min but have topped it up to max.

Post #529197 Tue Jun 27 2017 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1