RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Low Battery Warning?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
Low Battery Warning?

As a relatively new RRS owner I am looking to get some feedback from other forum members regarding a low battery message I keep getting.

With the engine off, if I turn the radio on after about 15 minutes I get a low battery warning instructing me to start the car or the system will shut down. If I cancel this message, after about 25 minutes the car indeed shuts down and I cannot turn the radio back on until I start the engine? I also get the same message when using any of the other infotainment systems, SATNAV, TV, DVD, DAB, etc.

I have recharged the battery twice recently using a smart charger and took the car on a 100 mile journey but when I got back I still got the same message. I have reported this issue to the LR Main Dealer where I purchased the car from and they checked it out and said that this is "normal" and the battery / charging system is all fine? So you cannot use the radio for more than 15 mins without the engine running? Really?

I suspect that a new battery will be required soon, what are your experiences, thoughts and advice please? I have only had the car a couple of weeks so should I put pressure on the LR Main Dealer to replace the battery?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #529018 Mon Jun 26 2017 9:04am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

My car does the same, has done since I got it 6 months ago. So I've assumed it's normal.

it is a bit annoying if you're waiting in the car for something (ferry, airport, Mrs is shopping etc) and you have to keep turning it on after it's shut itself off. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #529019 Mon Jun 26 2017 9:11am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Mine does that, always has done never been a issue but as Bill say's just annoying. You could have Battery Monitoring System reset might help as may have had battery replaced at some point. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #529022 Mon Jun 26 2017 9:53am
Evo5man

Thanks for the quick reply Bill Thumbs Up

I agree that it is very annoying if this is "normal" for a RRS. I travel on Eurotunnel and it will be particularly annoying if the infotainment system cuts out and with the Eurotunnel restrictions I can't re-start the car to clear the problem Mad

It will be interesting to see what other feedback I get from forum members and if the consensus is that it is not a fault and just something we have to live with.

There are some very smart people on the forum so someone may have come up with a "fix" or "work-around" for this problem? Maybe a modification to the CCF on the battery error standard "timeout" value?

Regards,

Steve

Post #529023 Mon Jun 26 2017 9:58am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Not only does my MY17 do the same, it re-starts the engine on it's own.

Post #529033 Mon Jun 26 2017 11:57am
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

My MY15 does it, and if I shut down and restart more than twice (about 20 mins of radio transmission) the battery DOES flatten to a point where it will not restart. Curiously, I also find that turning the radio off before shutting the car down completely, preserves some battery life. However, electrical power management on a vehicle that has 2 batteries is abysmal!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #529039 Mon Jun 26 2017 1:24pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

As does mine - it is what Land Rover Dealers call a "characteristic of the vehicle sir". If you want to preserve battery life longer when not in the car then lower it to access height before parking it for the night. That puts all the electrics to "sleep". If you don't lower it then the system keeps searching for the smart "key" and keeps all the other electrics in "standby" ready for immediate action when the car is next approached. This is one reason why 2016.5 onwards automatically lower to access height when you stop. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #529065 Mon Jun 26 2017 4:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Evo5man

Thanks Tim,

I can understand LR wanting to protect customers from running their battery low without any warning, nothing worse than turning the key and nothing happens on a dark and wet evening in the middle of nowhere, but not being able to listen to the radio for more than 15 minutes while my wife 'shops for England' seems a bit excessive in a modern well equipped vehicle Mad

It looks like I will need to just "get over it" as my wife tells me! Smile I guess that there are more urgent problems in the world than this Smile

Cheers

Steve

Post #529070 Mon Jun 26 2017 4:39pm
Tim in Scotland

BBC Radio iPlayer app on your phone would keep you listening to the radio, just not in as high quality as the car system. I cannot get Classic FM on FM or DAB on a radio at home but can stream it to my Sonos from my phone no problem. You can listen live on the iPlayer these days too and there are other apps that can stream radio on a smart phone. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #529072 Mon Jun 26 2017 4:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

How much power does a radio need ffs? 100+ amp hours in the battery and you can't listen to the radio for 30 minutes? And what about the TV? Pointless having it. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #529075 Mon Jun 26 2017 5:17pm
Evo5man

Totally agree Bill Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #529078 Mon Jun 26 2017 5:30pm
Tim in Scotland

I believe the big consumer isn't the radio per se, it is the amplifier in the Meridian systems that guzzles power. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #529082 Mon Jun 26 2017 6:05pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Yeah the amp don't help. And then it insists on have the display on too.

My old model limits the volume when the engine is off, which is much more sensible.

I think they had so many battery problems with the later ones, they did everything they could to stop drain.

Post #529089 Mon Jun 26 2017 6:42pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

I just keep the engine running. Job done. Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #529092 Mon Jun 26 2017 9:04pm
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

I don't get any lie battery warning, but my ice turns off in my XC60 after about 15 mins to save battery Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #529096 Mon Jun 26 2017 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>