RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > How do Snow & Ice tyres perform in 30 degree heat?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Slim444

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
How do Snow & Ice tyres perform in 30 degree heat?

Quite well, as it turns out!
I've been running with Pirelli Scorpion 19" winter tyres on since I got rid of the 20" rims last year. Have done around 5k miles on them, now in everything from ice to the 32 degree heat we've over the last few days. They have performed well over short trips and even Glasgow and back in a day (18 degree or so temp, round trip of 720 miles).
Yesterday was a tough test, Croydon and back for work- 211 miles, 23 degrees when I set off, 29 when I arrived, back down to 21 when I got home at 2030.
Tyres are still in perfect condition, they didn't unravel like a roll of black insulting tape as some might expect!
Fuel consumption from the trip computer states 31.8, but re-calculating to allow for the lies and treachery of this device, the actual is more like 28.6mpg. Not much difference to running in much lower temps.
Oh, and I do stick to the speed limits, apart from the odd blast past the numerous spastics that still don't know what the lanes on a motorway are for!! You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come callin'

Post #528679 Wed Jun 21 2017 12:30pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Way too soft and they will wear out quickly, you need also to check with your insurer if they will still cover you with those tyres on in temperatures way out of the normal operating range. - Maybe you should come to Central Scotland where today we are back to normal with some hefty rain showers throughout the day and you would get away with them on the car! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528698 Wed Jun 21 2017 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi Tim. Point well made. My daughter lives north of Aberdeen and she's just furious that even Scottish media is talking about hottest day since 1976 when she's looking at a river running down her drive! Very Happy
I'm currently in Lyme Regis for a few days and it's more like the Cote d'Azure🌞🌞🌞 Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #528722 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:19pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I remember reading a clip the other day on this subject,, the fact that the tyres might fall apart was not such a concern but stopping distance was. It was mentioned that using winter tyres in "summer" temperatures would increase your stopping distance,, which prompted me to finally get round to changing my wife's over. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #528728 Thu Jun 22 2017 5:18am
Slim444

Stopping distance, eh, now there's food for thought. Will check with insurers too, cheers.
Temperatures back down to normal now, so concerns reduced... for now!
Not sure how much softer the compound actually is, as they are wearing very well. Obviously the 'busy' tread pattern will increase running temperatures and provide higher rolling resistance... You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come callin'

Post #528797 Thu Jun 22 2017 9:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In 2009 I was forced to run to London and back from Central Scotland on my Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres after damaging two wheels and tyres the preceding day that rendered them unsafe to use. It was July but quite a wet July and I was actually thankful I had changed as the M6 over Shap and down to Lancaster was more like driving on a shallow canal than a well drained motorway and high powered RWD cars were aquaplaning all over the place.............. RRS on I&S tyres, we just ploughed on with re-assuring extra grip from the tyres being just about right for the conditions! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528807 Fri Jun 23 2017 8:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Winter tyres go off very quickly when it's warm, feels like driving on a layer of slime. Mine come off when the weather is consistently above 10c

Post #528811 Fri Jun 23 2017 8:15am
Slim444

Tim, whenever I've been to Scotland (mainly Glasgow) the weather has been ok, contrary to what Billy Connolly would have us believe!! I remember more motorway rivers on the M6 to Birmingham...
d-9, what make of winters are you running? The Pirelli Scorpions feel as sure footed as Hankooks that came off with the 20" rims, to be honest. The ride is is bit less 'fidgety', but I put that down to the sensible rim size Wink You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come callin'

Post #528814 Fri Jun 23 2017 8:46am
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I've had a variety over the years, Dunlop, continentals, pirrelis, coopers (surprisingly good), acceleras (dangerous), on various cars including a couple of audis, a BMW, a golf. All of them went off when they warmed up. I think the pirellis are probably the best performing, but the coopers where best value, almost as good and very cheap. The only issue with running them on an a6 quattro is I once forgot I was driving on compacted snow because it had so much grip - I almost went backwards into the woods at 60mph.

Post #528878 Fri Jun 23 2017 11:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1