RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > New Autobiog or used SVR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
New Autobiog or used SVR?

My PCP will end next spring and in a week's time I become old enough to have a bus pass and maybe a white stick so I thought before RRS prices flip over into ludicrous mode shortly I might buy a "new" car but looking on the approved used website I see that I can have a used SVR with quite low miles for a very similar price to a new built Sdv6 or 5.0 S/C Autobiography......... I find the SDv6 more than fulfills my need for speed and as my annual miles have fallen to 7500-8000 pa now that Virgin East Coast calls at my local station and I'm only 4hrs 55 minutes from Kings Cross a petrol engined car is now practical on the fuelling costs front. The only 2nd hand car a couple of years old I have ever bought was my Defender and has been a fantastic buy, 100% reliable and now 21 years old. Any views greatfully accepted? I don't need a car for work but it must have some off road ability and be a sensible "winter" car. So new Autobiog or used SVR? FYI my boy racer days are long gone - since I sold my TVR SEAC...... that put me off rear wheel drive cars for good, I also don't need all the toys an Autobiog comes with, so what comes on an SVR is enough. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528375 Sat Jun 17 2017 3:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I'm not in a position to know the relative benefits of SVR vs AB (out of my price league currently) but one other thought to add into your equation would be to use the Defender for winter and off road use, and buy something completely different for summer e.g. Say Saab 93 Aero. They're built like a tank, are comfortable and fun to drive without wishing to kill you and could even start appreciating in value (almost a classic). Or perhaps some other classic that you may have drooled over in your youth and maybe now can afford it. Just thinking out loud really but it's perhaps another option although it would mean you'd have to leave this forum - perhaps not then Smile Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #528380 Sat Jun 17 2017 4:54pm

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I too was in this position of ab or svr but I negotiated a discount on an svr so was cheaper than a second hand one, you only live once and I love a loud pedal so svr it was

Roll on next week

Post #528384 Sat Jun 17 2017 6:34pm
BKHK

Australia 

Used SVR Tim. It's good to have a car which will make you smile when you drive it. My M3 is my loud pedal grin car and my "new" RRS will be my daily runaround / commute to work car.

Post #528389 Sat Jun 17 2017 9:17pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

Tim, you need to test drive both cars, if possible, and then I can almost guarantee you will go for the SVR.
You have a vast experience of the Land Rover brand and I really think that if you have the opportunity to own an SVR you will not regret it because they are simply a totally different beast to any of the other Range Rover cars, they simply defy all your senses and mine still surprises me even after a year of ownership. They really do go as good as they look and are great for poodling along, which I tend to do, but when needed will go like nothing you've driven before. Put the car into Dynamic, push the gearstick to the left and just hang on and the pops and bangs on overrun will make you smile Very Happy
I've owned some quite quick cars, Rover 3.5 SDI, Ford Sierra XR4i, Jaguar S Type R , Range Rover Sport 5L S/C to name but a few but none have come close to my SVR. These cars are remarkable. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #528392 Sat Jun 17 2017 11:09pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Tim - YOLO - get that SVR...I'm sure James will be pleased to help sort this out for you Thumbs Up

Post #528438 Mon Jun 19 2017 8:30am
Tim in Scotland

RRS, unfortunately LPR has only a Santorini SVR and it is on their website at a premium over new price........... they also have a low miles 5ltr S/C Autobiography. Not sure how flexible Lookers are about moving cars between dealerships, something tells me they are not quite as good as Evans Halshaw claim to be in EH's adverts that have been running on the telly recently - otherwise Lookers have some good looking low miles used SVR's in their network. I also would prefer to deal with James/Matt in West London than the bunch of grabbing so and so's in my local Lookers (called Taggarts up here) branch in north Glasgow............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #528440 Mon Jun 19 2017 9:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I'm sure they can find you an Estoril car in the network - I'd get on to them Thumbs Up

Post #528441 Mon Jun 19 2017 9:30am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

SVR Thumbs Up

Without a doubt

While an SVR is out of my reach, my annual mileage has dropped drastically to sub-10k between me and the wife, I have an itch for something quick. M3/Focus RS etc

Post #528442 Mon Jun 19 2017 9:31am
Tim in Scotland

I've had an email exchange with my friendly dealership in West London and they say SVR every time......... the non SVR 5.0lt hardly sells at all now they say (they have a 2,000 mile Autobiography on their website just now too so I assume it is an ex Management / Demo car.) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #528454 Mon Jun 19 2017 11:00am
BKHK

Australia 

SVR .....but no shame in a 5.0 petrol V8 if you want to economise but still have some grunt.

Post #528462 Mon Jun 19 2017 12:39pm
Nod1

United Kingdom 

Hi Tim

I have always been a FFRR guy and have had them for over 20 years... I have also had various other sports. Been there seen it done it.. The RR was and still are the Thoroughbreds and are very regal even in 5ltr mode.
I did think about getting another one. But as I too have a Bus Pass in my back pocket, I thought I would try and see if I could have a bit of fun before I am grounded for good Big Cry
I have to admit I am absolutely impressed with the SVR and I doubt I will get fed up with it.

So to add my two penneth go for the SVR and enjoy the fun and the roaring grunt !!!

Cheers
Nod RRS SVR 2018
RRS SVR 2017 (Rejected within 1 month due to damage)
FFRR AB 5Ltr Santorini Black
Mini Cooper Convertible (For Fun )

Previous
FFRR S/C AB Santorini Black
FFRR 4.2 Vogue Santorini Black
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #528477 Mon Jun 19 2017 4:24pm
Tim in Scotland

Well guys it looks like even a used SVR is a better bet than a new 5.0ltr or another SDv6 but in Autobiography ............ I have other cars on my list too. I've had so many Land Rovers since 1996 that I wonder if also the time hasn't come for a change of marque............. my list is diverse and eclectic as there are other expensive and much less expensive cars that tickle my fancy, ranging from a from a Renault Zoe through BMW i3 via a Mini Countryman E to new Jaguar iPace to a used Tesla Model S and covering many other things in between, also you may have noticed a pattern to the other "want to have" cars that the SVR totally negates on the environmental front! I do far less driving the length of the UK than I use to and the vast bulk of my trips are between 15 and 60 miles one-way. However I do like to have a blast now and then and I also will still have my Defender 90 although of late I have used my RRS for all the greenlaning/off-roading I have undertaken, even though it is on 22" wheels it has coped really well with what I have thrown at it

Here it is on the north east shoulder of Ben Lomond on the 11th June on an outing with the Scottish Green Road Club, and if my Def isn't back from fettling by this Friday then the RRS will be offroad again over on the other side of the water in the photos!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #528488 Mon Jun 19 2017 4:53pm
Nod1

United Kingdom 

Beautiful part of the country, even on a cloudy day he he he RRS SVR 2018
RRS SVR 2017 (Rejected within 1 month due to damage)
FFRR AB 5Ltr Santorini Black
Mini Cooper Convertible (For Fun )

Previous
FFRR S/C AB Santorini Black
FFRR 4.2 Vogue Santorini Black
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #528494 Mon Jun 19 2017 5:21pm
RRS-Si

United Kingdom 

If you do get an SVR Tim maybe you can take me out for a spin along the A83 Rest and Be Thankful next time I am up that way Thumbs Up

Post #528497 Mon Jun 19 2017 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>