RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > * Warning* Check your Bonnet catches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Sharpy1980

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
* Warning* Check your Bonnet catches

Today whilst servicing the A/C on my rrs I was tinkering whilst vacuuming the system mainly checking fluid levels etc and I decided to check the operation of the bonnet catches as I had noticed the panel gap on the n/s wasn't as tight as the o/s, to my horror I found when using an Allen key as my pretend bonnet the n/s catch released as soon as I let go of the pressure which means that only the o/s catch has been holding. I then found that the part the locks the hook in position was seized so I set about freeing it off and took some pics to make it easier for people to check their own as I would imagine a bonnet flying open a motorway speeds could at best be scary as hell.

Basically I removed my grille which is just 4 little catches at the top and then a sharp tug forwards at the bottom, I took this photos after I freed it off but I will try to show what to look for

Now in this picture above the part that I'm pointing at with the screwdriver was stuck over to the right.

In this photo I'm holding the lever open by pushing it to the right and when the screwdriver is removed it should automatically spring back to where it's at in the first picture when I started the lever was stuck fast over to the right and I had to work it back and forth adding plenty of white grease until it sprung back freely on its own, now when I push the hook part down with an Allen key it locks securely every time.

It's worth mentioning that apart from the slight gap I hadn't noticed any other movement even when shutting the bonnet so for the sake of a couple of minutes it's worth checking and maybe giving them a quick lube as I guess there probably often overlooked on a service. From what I hear new catches are quite cheap so if mine play up again they will be going in the bin.

Pic from the top showing the hook to the left and the pivot and spring at the top of the sticky lever
To the right, all nicely lubed and free now,

Clickadeeclick

Post #528420 Sun Jun 18 2017 9:23pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

You should really avoid using that white spray grease, all it does on those catches is attract dust and then eventually set, making it very difficult to re-lubricate in future (the new grease sits on top of the old hard grease and does nothing thus promoting premature wear).

It's far better to use a silicone lubricant once every few months or so on the door hinges and once a year at service time on the bonnet catches.

Post #528658 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1