RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Rrs 4.2 SC hdc, lowering suspension, transmission fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just a thought - do you lower your car to access height when you park up? Try it over night and check the battery in the morning before starting up - putting the car into access height before locking up puts all the electrics into sleep mode leaving it in Normal height will only hibernate the electronics and the car will search for the key fob all the time which it won't do if you leave it in access height. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527967 Sun Jun 11 2017 10:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nico2104

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I normally leave it in normal height but after your advice I've just popped out and put it into access height so I will check battery once again in the morning. I've managed to get hold of a pair of rear lights tonight so will be putting them on in the morning with all new bulbs just as a precaution. Thanks

Post #527969 Sun Jun 11 2017 10:41pm
Nico2104

Just abit of an update. I checked the battery this morning from standing in low mode and the bolts read 11.6 and upon starting it drops to 9.8 and then goes upto 14 .2 when running. I wondered if you could tell me what you think to them reading. Thanks again.

Post #528066 Tue Jun 13 2017 10:32am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Sounds a bit low at 11.6 i would have thought it would have gone up to closer to 15 volts once started is it a maintenance free battery or can it be topped up with water Thumbs Up

Post #528092 Tue Jun 13 2017 3:36pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Those figures seem to read to low to me personally, I haven't yet read complete thread, to see how old battery is etc.
Have you had the battery checked? From info shown it doesn't look to healthy, but best to check it out first, that would rule it out of equation. Wink John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Tue Jun 13 2017 3:56pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #528095 Tue Jun 13 2017 3:49pm
Nico2104

Hi. I've not had the battery properly checked. Just done the voltmeter readings on my meter and that's what they were coming up as. I don't no what sort of readings they should be so was completely lost. I've changed my back lights and wiring and got my upper tailgate working. I have no problem changing the battery if you guys think it is lower than it should be. I've found plenty of good deals on batteries which are 105ah and 900cca compared to the 95ah 800cca Lucas battery that is currently on the car. Cheers

Post #528096 Tue Jun 13 2017 3:55pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

It's almost impossible to diagnose a battery remotely, especially as we don't know what you've been up to - on the 11th you went out and put to access mode, I guess you started the RRS to do this? Did it get charged after? The next day you were going to fit lights etc., were doors left open etc. etc.

But yes 11.6V is very low, normally indicating a dud battery with so short a time sitting. But is it the battery, or is it the RRS with a high load drain? Are you able to get a low amp clamp ammeter around the battery cable (or ammeter in series if you know what you're doing - watch for sparks though....), this would tell the load the RRS is pulling? To test the battery properly involves disconnecting from any load and doing tests, but if it is known the RRS isn't pulling excessive high loads then it can be done while still fitted.

Here is a link with very brief battery voltage level meanings. But a low voltage doesn't necessary mean it's dud if it's just been drained - but do get it topped up quick with a charger with decent amperage, recommended of 10% battery Ah if drained so low - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-t...ar-battery

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #528107 Tue Jun 13 2017 6:52pm
Nico2104

Ok brilliant. It's going to my friends garage tomorrow to have the suspension bags on the rear replaced so I'll get him to check everything as it will be with him for a day or 2. I do no that the car had been sat for a few months before I brought it but whether that would make any difference I don't no. I think I'll see what my mechanic says and then just get a battery to eliminate the possibility of it being that. I did start it up and lower the suspension and then it sat overnight. Ive been on a good run today so I'll leave it over night and I'll check again before it goes to the garage. Cheers for your advice

Post #528110 Tue Jun 13 2017 7:01pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Nico2104 wrote:
I do no that the car had been sat for a few months before I brought it but whether that would make any difference I don't no.

Yes it definately makes a difference. If a battery is left in a low state of charge for a lengthy period it may discharge to the 'point of no return', especially with modern cars with alarms etc.. As it discharges the plates get covered in sulfation, which when normally used can be reversed so the life of a battery will last. But if left long, or equally bad is a low charge rate (hence the recommended 10% Ah charge rate - all those low amp CTeks maybe aren't the best for discharged batteries....) then the sulfation kind of bakes on, which then when charging/discharging the sulfation drops off between the plates which eventually causes plate shorting (extremely rudimentary explanation - I'm at work so typing fast).

My knowledge isn't on 12v car batteries, but in banks of batteries of 100's of Ah's and usually 240V, but the principles are similar. AGM batteries may be different in build but usually have thinner plates so the sulfation effect is much worse, and it's complete nonsense to believe they can be cycled to a lower state of charge. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #528111 Tue Jun 13 2017 7:15pm
Nico2104

That's really informative cheers. I think I'll just bite the bullet and change the battery. For the sake of £100 it stops the chasing and eliminates that issue so I think it's the best idea. Hopefully with all these bits being changed I won't have the problem again but I'm not holding my breath. I did go on roughly a 50 mile drive today and had no problems at all but like I say it doesn't always do the problems. It did it twice the other day after the car had been sat for a week due to me being in hospital so maybe the battery idea is the best out of it all. Once again cheers for your help and I'll get everything sorted over next few days and then let you all no how it is. Cheers

Post #528112 Tue Jun 13 2017 7:22pm
IRBails

Australia 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Just a thought - do you lower your car to access height when you park up? Try it over night and check the battery in the morning before starting up - putting the car into access height before locking up puts all the electrics into sleep mode leaving it in Normal height will only hibernate the electronics and the car will search for the key fob all the time which it won't do if you leave it in access height.

Thanks for this info Tim, I did not realise that putting the car in access mode also put the electrics to sleep when locked. I had taken my car out of access mode in the belief it would prolong the air compressor life . M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #528119 Tue Jun 13 2017 10:16pm
Nico2104

Just a little update. So far I have changed brake light switch, both rear lights with wiring with all new bulbs, upper tailgate now all working.
I have figured out now that all the faults in my title only come on if I start the car and drive straight off. If I leave it for a minute or 2 no lights come on and doesn't going into lowering suspension mode. One thing that is popping up is upon starting occasionally the engine management light stays on but when switching off and plugging diagnostics in it shows no faults and upon restarting light has gone. It is booked in now for next week to have the passenger rear suspension bag changed but does anyone think that the bag would cause all the lights to come on and go into lowered suspension mode when setting off straight away. It has been confirmed the suspension bag is knackered. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Post #528339 Fri Jun 16 2017 10:57pm
CANROVER

Canada 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Total stab in the dark but multiple issues and a christmas tree on your dash means a dying battery which I'm sure many have mentioned... First thing to do is check the battery grounds and then as many other grounds as you can. Second, do a hard reset. Disconnect batter AS PER THE MANUAL then touch the pos and negative leads together to reset everything.

This will most likely NOT help you but it will not hurt to try.

Post #528342 Sat Jun 17 2017 12:38am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Why is the air bag being changed is it because it deflates itself over time as if it does then spend no more money until it is changed then once it's done see if the faults come back Thumbs Up

Post #528351 Sat Jun 17 2017 7:53am
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the valve blocks can leak/valves stick open. This can cause the vehicle to go lop-sided or for one end to sink. Even though the car is turned off the system still tries to keep itself level, it can't put air in and so lets the opposite side down to compensate.

You can test for this by leaving the battery disconnected over night. If the car is down on one corner then you've got an air leak if its level then you need to service your valve blocks (not a massive job, just a few O'rings)

Everything going off on your dash would say battery to me, especially if you let it all sit for a little while (the alternator will have put some life into the battery).

Post #528541 Tue Jun 20 2017 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12