RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Range Rover Pricing upon Velar release and a Hello
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsport17

United Kingdom 
Range Rover Pricing upon Velar release and a Hello

Hi Guys, i am new to the forum, however not new to the land rover brand! I have always loved them but stopped loving them when my 2009 model kept breaking down on me and ended up costing me a fortune.

However, i am now wanting another SUV and nothing compares to the luxury of a range rover. The model im after is the Range Rover Sport.

My question is...
Will the price of a 2013+ RRS decrease dramatically once the new velar is released. I have noticed RRS's average around £38k on autotrader. So i really dont want to spend the oney and in a few months time for the cars value to plumet. I dont mind if was to happen in a years time, but not when its a month or two.

I follow a lot of car people on social media and i have noticed them seling off their RRS's as they have ordered the Velar, even though the RRS is supposed to be a better model.

Please can anyone chime in on what they think will happen to RRS prices when the velar releases, and when you think the Velar will release. Also any tips on what to look out for when buying my new RRS.

Im looking for something with around 50k miles, and a HSE.

Post #527783 Thu Jun 08 2017 1:38pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Prices of RRS shouldn't change as Velar is a different model. Velar is the 4th model in the Range Rover range - Evoque, Velar, RRS and Range Rover. Velar is basically a city car with minimal offroad ability running on Evoque running gear - it is not a version of a Sport, actually it is a Jaguar F Pace with a low slung body being sold at near RRS prices. You would be better of buying a cheaper for the same spec F Pace.

For buying used, if you have the budget buy from a franchised Land Rover dealership to get the approved used warranty. Full main dealer service history is desirable and approved used outlets will not sell cars without full service history. Look for an unmolested (no big wheels or fancy body kits) car. Buying used RRS's is a minefield as many folks buy them not realising how much they cost to run and then try to skimp and sell them on. If you use the search function you will find loads of info about buying a used RRS from any model year. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527790 Thu Jun 08 2017 3:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim, I think it's a bit harsh to say it has minimal off road ability. It has reasonable ground clearance as standard, with air suspension it has 250mm of clearance which is more than the original RRS. It does lack a low range 'box, although it has an 8 speed gearbox so should be ok-ish at low speed. It can also have a locking rear diff (option on the higher power models) to go with the centre diff. So although it's not as able as the bigger RRS and FFRR, it's not exactly in the "minimal off road ability" class.

It is, however, as you say a "city car" but then these days everything LR produces is a "city car". A few get muddy but most are just polished and parked at Waitrose. Big Cry 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #527803 Thu Jun 08 2017 6:56pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Talking of the Velar - &sns=tw 

Post #527812 Thu Jun 08 2017 8:57pm
rrsport17

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies guys. To be honest is say 80% of Range Rover sports are used for city driving it's more a statement symbol than a car used for its practicality. Which is why I think the velar may cause it issues. Especially since people are selling their rrs and buying the velar.

Post #527813 Thu Jun 08 2017 8:59pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum. I personally don't agree with those saying that the RRS used prices will remain unaffected by the launch of the Velar. Since the launch of the Velar prices have already softened for the used RRS and this is reflected in the trade in value a friend was recently offered for a December 2017 RRS AB for which he intended to trade in for a Velar. The list price for his car was £84k and he managed to pick this up for £74k after discounts. His trade in value for September is currently an eye watering £61k Shocked

The dealers are blaming the new tech in the Velar for making the RRS less desirable and once the cars begin to get delivered and the road test verdicts are out (which hopefully are good!) I can only imagine things to get worse for the current RRS.

This was the exact reason I cancelled my order as I did not want to lose £25k in 6 months whilst waiting for my Velar to be delivered.

Don't get me wrong - the RRS is a bloody fantastic car and IMHO much nicer than the competition and I will have another again in a heartbeat but not with old tech when I know that a lesser model has newer technology built in to it. So in summary I do think the RRS prices will be hit but for a 2013 model I don't think you will lose a substantial amount of money - it's the newer cars that will take a big hit IMHO.

Post #527846 Fri Jun 09 2017 10:15am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

My 2014 RRS AB has lost 12.5k in 11 month. Sad Sad

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #527851 Fri Jun 09 2017 11:43am
rrsport17

United Kingdom 

@tyrefitter! That is a place where i dont want to be Sad i mean im in a position to be able to lose that much, but i dont want to being so young and wanting to invest my money where i can.

@RRSMAN
I honestly think so too, the interior of the Velar is gorgeous. Have you seen the two tone steering wheel!! Looks just like the cabin of the bentayga and the two HD screens etc. I would have gone for the velar however, i just think it look a lot maller than the RRS which is the most attractive thing about an RR.

So do you guys think its safer for me to wait till August to purcahse the car? or risk a few thousand and get in a couple months earlier?

Also RRS's around 60k, is there something i should be looking out for? common faults/ problems etc?

Post #527856 Fri Jun 09 2017 12:51pm
kmpowell

I'm a bit confused by all this talk of trade values sliding etc.

Values stay in-line with LR finance agreement projections and have to be kept consistent to ensure they don't get stung by masses of people handing cars back mid-finance agreements.

There is a problem that people don't factor in through. The used screen prices had/has such a massive spread. For example when I bought my RRS last November it has just turned 12mths old. From a screen price point of view it was at the very bottom of a ridiculous price range which had some identical cars with a screen price of £8-10k more than mine! So somebody who bought at the top of the spread will now have £10k more of negative equity to factor in to the usual depreciation.

Remember GFV's are set on model/age/mileage, not on the price on screen. From a 'new' POV GF's will be softer the later on in the model year, so anybody buying new now will have worse off depreciation than somebody who bought new 2years ago.

My car however has a GFV of £45k when it reaches 4 years old (in September 2019). So LR will ensure the depreciation is spread consistently along the term, or if doesn't I can just hand it back without penalty and they will be stuck with lost interest and a car that they will have to sell at a loss.

Since I bought mine the screen prices at the bottom of the range has dropped £3k, which equates to a depreciation of circa £450 a month, which is about what I expected. Trade values seem to be a bit softer, but again, it's all linked to the above. Any miserly dealer offers are them taking the Censored and/or not wanting to take on stock they can't shift due to the V-Pace coming out. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #527859 Fri Jun 09 2017 2:01pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Wonder what happened to GFVs for those who hand Land Rover Freelander's on PCP with a big fat GFV but then what must have happened with the model was discontinued and the Evoque arrived? I think those GFVs may have been hard hit!

Post #527860 Fri Jun 09 2017 2:11pm
kmpowell

rrsport17 wrote:
Also RRS's around 60k, is there something i should be looking out for? common faults/ problems etc?

At that price point you will be hitting a significant MY update on the SDV6.

MY15.5 (March 2015) saw the introduction of the significantly better 306hp engine, which has lower tax, more hp, more torque and much better MPG.

MY16 (Sep 2015) on top of the new 306hp engine also made standard the All Terrain Progression Control, Auto Access Height, Hands Free gesture tailgate and Wifi. Plus a Software Interface update for the ICE system, and some rejigged button configuration on the dash i.e. push button climate/seats etc.

£60k will comfortably get you into a MY16 ABD. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #527862 Fri Jun 09 2017 2:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1