RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > Anybody for a forum outing to the Dunkeld LRE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Anybody for a forum outing to the Dunkeld LRE?

I ran an event 3 years ago for the Freelander Club when we rented the Dunkeld LRE site for the whole day and they threw in a Freelander with an instructor to show the guys how to drive their cars offroad before we set off for some fun and games on the centre's grounds. Most of the Freelander owners were young lads who had never driven anything offroad and were concerned about taking their own cars into the dirt. The LRE guys showed them how to do it either sitting in their cars or taking them in the centre's Freelander V6 first. We took our own picnics and after a lunch break we played on the site for a while and then ventured off in to the Scottish wilds near to Dunkeld. The cost worked out at £30 a car (a fraction of the cost of going through Land Rover!) for 10 cars. Owners had to prove they had offroad cover for the day and we had a ball. I'm sure that many of the posters here would never dream of taking their Sports offroad and would be amazed if they saw just what it can do in the dirt so if anybody is interested I can make enquiries. I am going to use my LRE voucher on Nov 1st up there so will ask what the situation is.
The outing would not be restricted to Scottish posters, anybody can come along - we had a Freelander owner drove his new TD4 out of the showroom in Billericay on the Friday evening and drove straight to Dunkeld in it to join us on the Saturday for some fun. Also there was a lady who came up from Bristol and another 2 guys from Liverpool in addition to the 6 Scottish members who made it for the day. The great thing about doing the LRE as a "club" event is that you don't have to pay any extra for friends and family to join in unlike on the LRE voucher days where a passenger costs £350 extra for the full day, as I found out this morning when I booked my course. As I said earlier all you need is offroad insurance cover - Land Rover's own policy is very good and I pay £400 pa for the TDv6 with offroad use, offroad recovery and unlimited Continental driving included in the premium. For those with offroading experience then the day can be a bit tame, but then we don't go to smash up our cars unlike at pay and play sites!
If you want to come from any great distance away and want accommodation then there are 3 hotels (one of them is a Hilton Resort and that is where the LRE is based) in Dunkeld and many B&B's in the area.

Tim 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #3267 Wed Oct 12 2005 10:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Tim sounds good to me Smile .
As long as the dates work in and time away from work is available count me in, could spend the night away without the kids (sounds good to me) and make it an event with her indoors as long as she can get the time of work. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3277 Thu Oct 13 2005 8:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1