Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil change, TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

hannez82

Sweden 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Oil change, TDV8

Hi,

Today I made a oil change om my rrs 2008 TDV8. After changing the oil I realised I made som errors, questions:

1. I used a WSS-M2C913-D(Castrol magnatec) spec oil instead of a WSS-M2C934. I will change again but is it ok to drive the car for a week or so? I understood that it has something to do with the dpf.

2. I only received one oil bolt in my service kit so I only removed one of them. When I change it next time i would like to remove them both and replace them. Are the two bolts the same kind?

Best regards, Hannes

Post #527509 Sat Jun 03 2017 11:21am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I suspect that the oil that you put in is a "low ash" oil for cars with a PDF, so they don't have so many auto regenerations of the DPF. While not being either a mechanic or an oil expert, I would imagine that so long as the viscosity is not thicker than the recommended oil you will OK to drive around for a few days until you can drain it and put in the right spec - I wouldn't go to a race track and welly the engine or put it under high load though while you wait to carry out the change. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527510 Sat Jun 03 2017 11:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Edfors

Sweden 

Yes, both drain bolts are the same and no immediate rush to replace the oil.

Post #527513 Sat Jun 03 2017 11:43am
hannez82

Sweden 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thank you for fast answers.

I've now ordered Castrol edge professional c1 5w30, a new filter and two drain bolts from bearmach.

Best regards, Hannes

Post #527518 Sat Jun 03 2017 1:16pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

you can use 913C without any problem. this is in fact a mid saps oil (c2/c3) which is of a better quality (higher TBN), but has more ash 0,8% (934B 0.5%)
in theory this means that your DPF fills up quiker. In practise it does not make so much difference. these are fractions!

I know this from my own experience. Living and driving in Nigeria with a DPF car, I always use 913C or D (high TBN) because of the high sulfer content of the diesel and its effect on the engine. See the official workshop where this is recomended. RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #527525 Sat Jun 03 2017 3:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1