Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Denso Alternator Fitted But Still Charging 14v
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

B9BS X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Denso Alternator Fitted But Still Charging 14v

Hi all

Recently alternator has been running a little strange causing various faults on my Range. Tested the battery with a multimeter and was only charging 14v, with lights and fans on this would go down to 13v or slightly below so decided to have a new denso alternator fitted and also a new exide battery at the same time. Alternator fitted and new battery fitted after a full charge but alternator still only charging 14v, only difference now is when I put all the lights and fans on it maintains 14v. I did check my alternator about 6 months ago and it used to charge around 14.8v.

So question is should the alternator charge around 14.8v as ive seem other posts were members on this site have said their alternators are charging 15v or is 14v correct? Or do I need to do some kind of reset or register to let the car know it has been fitted with a new alternator???

Your help will be much appreciated as usual Thumbs Up RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,
BLACK CODE RE-MAPPED, AUTOBIOGRAPHY'D, NEW EXIDE BATTERY, NEW DENSO ALTERNATOR

Post #527508 Sat Jun 03 2017 12:12pm
garrycol

Australia 

I am not sure what your actual problem is - the charging rate varies depending on the circumstance - mine straight after start is up around 14v to get the charge used on start back into the battery but after the car has been running for a while the charge may go down to about 12.8 but go back up if I turn a few things on like lights etc. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #527517 Sat Jun 03 2017 2:07pm
B9BS X

Oh ok I just assumed it was charging low as Ive read a few threads on this forum that charging around the 15v is the norm Shocked RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,

Post #527520 Sat Jun 03 2017 2:38pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Mine runs at around 13.4 to 13.8 my disco 3 used to charge at about 15 and then drop to about 14 but that was diesel and my sport is petrol which i believe do charge differently Thumbs Up

Post #527527 Sat Jun 03 2017 4:44pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

14v sounds perfect

Post #527528 Sat Jun 03 2017 5:01pm
B9BS X

My new denso alternator now only charging between 12.5-14v

Just been out to check the battery volts just now as ive been having suspension faults message and a low battery warning on my radio display and its now reading just over 13v and 12.5v with lights and fans on, definitely not pleased Big Cry

Could my new alternator already have packed up only after a few weeks??? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #527568 Sun Jun 04 2017 12:03pm
geoffsnook

What make alternator was fitted Thumbs Up

Post #527573 Sun Jun 04 2017 12:20pm
B9BS X

Denso brand

Just read a thread on here that the main ecu needs to be reset via an iid tool for the car to recognise the new alternator. Is that a definate as the car was running great for a few days until now? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #527574 Sun Jun 04 2017 12:27pm
garrycol

Australia 

I dont believe the system has to be reset - maybe on the later models but as far as I am aware certainly from my 07 and earlier not needed.

While there is a chance you have a dodgy alternator I would be looking at the battery first and confirming it is OK before looking at the alternator.

With my battery approaching 9 years of age last year, I was suffering similar faults etc as you. I had the battery tested and it was at 12.8 volts so holding charge - even when load tested it still held voltage - so I began to think I had an alternator problem but then a CCA test was done and the battery was down to just over 300 amps where it should have up near 900CCA.

So check your battery first on all three aspects and if it is Ok then look elsewhere. Its the cheaper approach before the alternator.

Good luck with it.

garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #527575 Sun Jun 04 2017 1:11pm
B9BS X

I checked the battery before fitting this alternator and bought a new exide battery of the tanya website recommended by a lot of members on this forum, that was the first thing I changed as it was the cheaper option, then changed the alternator as my previous alternator was only charging upto 12.8v even with a new fully charged battery.

The alternator was charging ok for the last 2 weeks after fitting and was charging at 14v on idle and also with a load on and thought that was a little low as I did check the volts about 6 months ago due to some other faults and at that time it was charging around 14.8v which I thought was ok after reading a few threads on here were members were reporting their cars were charging upto 15v.

So battery is new and holding its charge so possible faulty alternator again as im now also getting an intermittent low battery message on the radio screen and also suspension warning lights back on Big Cry RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #527580 Sun Jun 04 2017 2:10pm
geoffsnook

You could do with speaking or send a pm to robbie who is on disco3 more than here he knows a lot about batteries/alternators here's a post he did Thumbs Up
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic119574.html?highlight=robbie

Post #527581 Sun Jun 04 2017 2:22pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Have you already checked the chassis earth connections? I'm not familiar with them on the RRS but it's always my first port of call for charging or slow cranking issue's.

Well worth doing as other than the cost of a pot of copper grease it's free. A multimeter usually can't find these corrosion faults either as they will often still show <0.1 Ohms (indicating good connection) but during high amp cranking or charging then the problems can show. Just undo, clean with wire brush if needed and grease. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #527591 Sun Jun 04 2017 4:42pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

maybe disconnect the battery and give it a charge over night to ensure it's tip top charged after the alternator issues

Post #527594 Sun Jun 04 2017 4:54pm
B9BS X

insiorc wrote:
Have you already checked the chassis earth connections? I'm not familiar with them on the RRS but it's always my first port of call for charging or slow cranking issue's.

Well worth doing as other than the cost of a pot of copper grease it's free. A multimeter usually can't find these corrosion faults either as they will often still show <0.1 Ohms (indicating good connection) but during high amp cranking or charging then the problems can show. Just undo, clean with wire brush if needed and grease.

Tbh it does sometimes crank slow but only sometimes and thats even when starting after giving the battery a full charge as I normally have my ctek charger on if I know I wont be driving it for more than a week just to keep the battery topped up. The earth wire is quite short so im assuming I should be able to remove the battery and should be just underneath or can anyone confirm if I need to remove any covers etc to get to the chassis connection? RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #527625 Mon Jun 05 2017 4:32am
B9BS X

Andy K wrote:
maybe disconnect the battery and give it a charge over night to ensure it's tip top charged after the alternator issues

That was the first thing I did even though I knew the battery is good as fitted a new battery same time as the alternator and did fully charge it before fitting and have used the car more or less every day on mainly long trips.

These little gremlins are starting to bug me now, exciting times Rolling with laughter RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED

Post #527626 Mon Jun 05 2017 4:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>