RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Poly / power flex vs Rubber
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

nah33m

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black
Poly / power flex vs Rubber

I have had my car in and out of dealers and Indys for bushes over the past year or so, it is costing me.

I am driving a 2008 Range Rover Sport HST V8 3.6.

It seems like the bushes are just too weak for the job, I don't off road and I don't thrash it around, my roads are generally good and I do low mileage so it is very annoying.

My ARB have been replaced twice and my lower arm bushes are starting to go again second time in less than 18 months.

I want to go down the poly / power flex route for everything that's includes all upper and lower arm bushes and ARB.

I did this to my E46 M3 and although the ride became very stiff it was precise and firm, it also they never required replacing again!

What I am looking for is some feedback on the reliability from forum members and if there is any additional squeaks, bangs, knocking noises that maybe introduced and why this would happen, I am looking for a very firm but quiet experience.

I rather not put rubber bushes back on if I can avoid it at all.!

The lower and upper arms are straight forward so not so worried about changing them myself.

However I am not so sure about the ARB as it has the dynamic control, few posts say it's a dealer job, but I have seen a few saying it can be done by yourself. I would rather tackle the job myself so if you can point me to any posts or links that can walk me through the process that would great.

Thanks in advance

Post #527022 Mon May 29 2017 9:14am
nah33m

: BUMP :

Anyone got any information?

Post #527238 Wed May 31 2017 1:24pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

If you search the Disco 3 website you'll find a lot of posts regarding the pros and cons of polybushes. Doesn't seem to be a consensus view; some like them others say they are too harsh.

Have a good look around on Advanced Factors' website as they offer bushes from Superpro and Bearmach in addition to those you mentioned.

Your ARB bushes should be lasting better and I wonder if your garage has fitted the correct updated bushes and clamps. It is definitely possible for a determined DIYer. Search the site and you'll find a couple of threads with some useful tips. Have to confess have not done mine myself as they went in winter and I didn't like!e the idea of freezing my @rse off lying under the car in February. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #527255 Wed May 31 2017 4:50pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Are you running on wheels/tyres bigger than 20"? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527265 Wed May 31 2017 6:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've fitted front Powerflex ARBs and I've had no problems so far. Is the ride harsher? Maybe but I don't notice it. I do think its worthwhile as I've been through 2 sets of front ARBs previously.

Had the lower arms done at the same time with OE and so far I've had no knocking noises, so that's brilliant. I do get some creaking going over ramps though, so not sure if that is the arms, ARBs or something else Rolling Eyes

Post #527278 Wed May 31 2017 8:21pm
nah33m

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Are you running on wheels/tyres bigger than 20"?

Yes I have 22 inch onyx alloys with 285/35/22 rubber bands on them so it's a back braking ride

Post #527304 Wed May 31 2017 11:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The suspension, transmission and drive components were only designed to take 20" and if the dealers found you had fitted bigger they voided your warranty on L320's. My L494 RRS2 has OEM 22" wheels as they are an option on the newer cars. It could be the big wheels that are causing your problems, especially if the car has been running on them for a few years. TDv8's have a history of premature wear on front suspension components even with OEM 20" wheels/ tyres 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527309 Wed May 31 2017 11:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nah33m

Pufftmw wrote:
I've fitted front Powerflex ARBs and I've had no problems so far. Is the ride harsher? Maybe but I don't notice it. I do think its worthwhile as I've been through 2 sets of front ARBs previously.

Had the lower arms done at the same time with OE and so far I've had no knocking noises, so that's brilliant. I do get some creaking going over ramps though, so not sure if that is the arms, ARBs or something else Rolling Eyes

Do you have the active anti roll bar? Mine is a V8 3.6 diesel so want to be sure if it's the same as yours.

Would you consider changing the lower and upper arm bushes to poly?

It seems like because of my massive wheels they are placing extra stress on the bushes so probably need something a little more durable to support them.

Post #527330 Thu Jun 01 2017 7:38am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes, I have ACE

I've not considered poly bushes for the arms at this stage. I think I discussed them with my garage and the consensus was that they weren't needed but I'm happy to reconsider. I do razz my car on bumpy country roads, drag heavy trailers and venture gently off the beaten track, so I will keep an eye on what happens.

Not sure about the difference in 22s to 19s or 20s but reducing unsprung weight will make the ride better and reduce wear. Whether you would wish to poly bush and keep 22s, thus increasing the harsh ride on a ride already harsher than standard, I guess is up to you Smile

Post #527342 Thu Jun 01 2017 10:28am
nah33m

thanks guys for the feedback, i am used to BMW M sport firm suspension setup so sitting in a RRS is like a magic carpet even if its slightly stiffer.

I am leaning towards Poly's at the moment just because i think they will better suit my needs, and if i can change them myself then i can always change them back to OEM without hurting my pocket too much Thumbs Up

I have found this video regarding changing my ARB myself, has anyone used this as a guide in replacing theirs?

http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos...ver-sport/

Seems straight forward even for something which has an Dynamic Stability control like my V8 HST.

But it is over the pond so could be something that is different for us in the UK.

Can you let me have your thoughts

Post #527350 Thu Jun 01 2017 12:35pm
Alfie

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Java Black

Hi , the video link you watched is for rear ARB bushes which is easier than front . I'm considering changing to poly front bushes with the upgrade bracket . My local Indy thought it was a waste of time replacing my front rubber bushes as my anti roll bar is weeping slightly onto one of the bushes and suggested this would ruin the bush within 6 months . Cost of replacing front anti roll bar with ace is £1500 !! So in the mean time untill I can afford to get that job done I thought changing to poly bushes would help as the oil may not penitrate the bush . It's a job I intend to tackle with a mechanic friend up on a vehicle lift

Post #529486 Mon Jul 03 2017 6:46am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

A few people do say that super pro bushes are a little softer so better than poly busshes Thumbs Up

Post #529488 Mon Jul 03 2017 6:50am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

nah33m wrote:

It seems like because of my massive wheels they are placing extra stress on the bushes so probably need something a little more durable to support them.

One issue is some garages tighten the arm bolts (the ones that attach the suspension to the chassis) when it's jacked up with the suspension dangling. The problem with this is that when the car is on its wheels on the road, the bushes are already stressed - they're effectively at more than full compression when the car is stood doing nothing. So they don't last very long.

The bolts should be tightened when the suspension is at the correct ride height. The bushes then are correctly loaded and last longer.

Remember: the suspension has much longer travel than a normal car's so the bushes need to be correctly set up. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #529502 Mon Jul 03 2017 1:05pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

All LR genuine parts are covered by a two year warranty, and I didn't even have to pay labour either, could be cheaper using LR service centres, if you are having problems. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #529508 Mon Jul 03 2017 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1