RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cracked Windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

andywatson

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey
Cracked Windscreen

Stone thrown up today, chipped screen then on the way home crack started to edge it way across.
Anything to watch out for when having windscreen replaced, and who to use?

Cheers

Andy 2008 RRS 3.6 HST - Stornaway / Black - Current
2010 RRS 3.0 HSE - Nara Bronze / Almond - Gone
2009 RRS 3.0 SE - Sliver / Teal

Post #533626 Wed Aug 23 2017 9:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Insist on opticool glass fitted to cars and standard and make sure the change the a pillar clips and trims I believe these cause leaks of not replaced Thumbs Up

Post #533627 Wed Aug 23 2017 9:27pm
andywatson

Nice one Thumbs Up 2008 RRS 3.6 HST - Stornaway / Black - Current

Post #533630 Wed Aug 23 2017 9:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I've never had the problem myself, but there are cautionary tales on the forum about insurance companies and Autoglass-type companies fobbing people off with non-OEM windscreens. It would be worth your while searching for them. (Seem to recall ex Full Fat Tim, now called 'Tim in Scotland', offering some sound advice in one of them, which may help you find it).

Post #533631 Wed Aug 23 2017 9:37pm
GodivaNige

England 

Ask your insurer if you can have the work done by Auto Windscreens as they only supply the Pilkinton OEM screens.
Autoglass will try and fob you off with a cheap pattern windscreen or will try and charge a premium over your excess for a genuine part.

Post #533632 Wed Aug 23 2017 9:47pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is a big thread about this in the L494 section - LR seems to fit screen made out of sugar to L494's so broken ones are frequently reported.
There is a post in the L494 thread about the Pilkington screens, they are OEM with the Range Rover branding frosted out. What you really have to watch out for is that if you have the heated screen and the UV resisting screen that you get the right one with both items on it (don't know if facelift cars could have the UV resisting screen or not) and also that the fitter doesn't damage the A pillar trims or the paintwork around the screen area when removing the old screen.

BTW I've always been Tim in Scotland on this forum and D3/Defender2/Freel2 and FullFatRR .......... I'm XFullFatTim on BabyRR and always have been. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #533642 Wed Aug 23 2017 11:16pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Quote:
BTW I've always been Tim in Scotland on this forum and D3/Defender2/Freel2 and FullFatRR .......... I'm XFullFatTim on BabyRR and always have been.

Sorry about that, my mistake must be because I frequent both RRSport and BabyRR forums. Embarassed

Post #533658 Thu Aug 24 2017 9:22am
andywatson

Thanks guys, big help and will look into it.

Yes Tim, 2010 HSE - heated and believe it is UV resisting 2008 RRS 3.6 HST - Stornaway / Black - Current

Post #533730 Thu Aug 24 2017 8:47pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

First step is to check your policy to see if you can choose your installer. Some allow it for a slightly increased excess. Also, see if there is a value limit on the glass - mine is £1k, for example.

Check to see whether your insurer has a glass claim line or just ring their normal claim line and ask about windscreen replacement. They will then tell you who they nominate.

Avoid Autoglass if you have any say in the matter.

Here's my recent experience: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic48368....eplacement 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #533739 Thu Aug 24 2017 9:37pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Some genuine laminated glass, as well as tinted, heated, UV also has acoustic windscreen and front side windows (MY12) is not supplied by Autoglass (screen is marked RR etc) so had to go through another Screen replacement company, great bother with insurance company (Direct Line at the time) as they say they only pay for what Autoglass supply and you cannot expect all original features or make.
What a con, well they did pay in end, and no longer with them. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #533742 Thu Aug 24 2017 9:58pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Would they apply that logic to other components? Sorry, sir, you can't have a Range Rover front bumper, this Taiwanese one will have to do? Confused (Mind you, that's maybe where the original ones come from anyway! Laughing )

Post #533747 Thu Aug 24 2017 10:24pm
Johnski

Wouldn't be surprised, a lot won't use genuine parts.
In their policy they do say they will fit a Equivalent/Patent/copy part if available, this helps reduce premiums. Censored
Their argument was that the screen was being replaced, and you can pay for any extra excess if a Specific Glass is required. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Fri Aug 25 2017 9:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #533750 Thu Aug 24 2017 10:52pm
andywatson

Exactly that John, I am with Admiral T&C's do state that after 3 years old an equivalent will be fitted.

Oh and they only use Autoglass........

So called Autoglass, Kyle the feller I spoke to and was very helpful it must be said, informed me of the same but did try for me to obtain OE but that failed, he said the screens are the same as OE just without the LR logo and confirmed Pilkington and that it is stamped as So, he said there are 2 screens listed can you take a photo of the stamp and send over and I will call you back.

He did and said just need to check one other thing as you have a diesel the screen is acoustic, thicker and the rain sensor will. E different, take a pic of the sensor, send over and I will call you back, he did, glad we did that he said as the info we have would have led to the wrong screen being sent out, we will order now and fit for you Tuesday am if that's ok as we need to get the right trim and clip pack in as well.

So far I have no complaints to the Autoglass service........ 2008 RRS 3.6 HST - Stornaway / Black - Current

Post #533816 Fri Aug 25 2017 6:30pm
Johnski

An unusually great service from them, and yes the difference the acoustic glass makes is very noticeable if you don't have it. Window tint was also available in more than one. I did forget to mention the different rain sensors. Embarassed
Well done on getting that through Autoglass and your Insurer, as said not generally any luck with them, so good to know. Thanks. John

Post #533824 Fri Aug 25 2017 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1