RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Air conditioning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Cosmo15555

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Stornoway Grey
Air conditioning

Can anyone let me know how often the air conditioning should be re gassed as I've had my sport nearly 3 years had it gassed twice and think it needs doing again
When the people have done it in the past the system has pressurised ok they put a dye in also and can't see any leaks anywhere
Thanks
Cosmo

Post #526698 Wed May 24 2017 5:04pm
GodivaNige

England 

If the a/c is regularly used all year round, to keep the carbon shaft seal within the compressor oiled and expanded, then the system should remain sealed and never need recharging unless a component is damaged or breaks.
It's a misnomer that air conditioning systems need regular charging, this should not be the case. The usual loss of refrigerant comes from not using the a/c in winter. The shaft seal within the compressor dries out and shrinks through lack of oil lubrication, the gas leaks out and come the spring, the system is found to be inefficient. The system is recharged and often works faultlessly through the summer, until the same occurs the following winter.

I'm an ex transport refrigeration engineer (Carrier and TK) so if anyone has any a/c questions, feel free to PM me Thumbs Up

Post #526699 Wed May 24 2017 5:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In modern cars AC/Climate Control hardly uses any power unlike in the old days, also leaving it in auto is much better than switching it off. In winter the RRS system will also give you warm aircon when needed which helps reduce issues with condensation/ damp inside the car. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #526703 Wed May 24 2017 5:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cosmo15555

My air conditioning isn't getting cold in this weather
Reading the owner handbook the air conditioning is auto depending on temp selection have I read this right
When wanting cold air is it best opening dash vents or closing them

Post #526707 Wed May 24 2017 6:20pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

yes you need the dash vents open.

Post #526709 Wed May 24 2017 6:37pm
GodivaNige

England 

Yep, leave it in auto all year round Thumbs Up
In this weather you should be feeling cold air from whichever vents you have selected, if in auto, the CC will be blowing from the face vents. With a selected temp of 20 or 21, you'll certainly expect to feel cold air, especially just after starting if the car has been sitting in the sun. If not, you have a problem.

Post #526710 Wed May 24 2017 6:42pm
Cosmo15555

I will have the system re gassed and checked
Thanks for the reply's

Post #526714 Wed May 24 2017 6:50pm
Sport Dog

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I've got the same problem as you, Cosmo.

Twice re-gassed in two years. Currently just not cold. Going to have it done again tomorrow.

I leave mine in auto all year but really noticed this last warm weekend that it's not chilly enough.

Have to remind myself that the vehicle is 10 years old. It's a great big leaky old Hector.

Jules

Post #527058 Mon May 29 2017 4:13pm
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Had mine gassed last Friday as it was not working and managed to get out nearly 790 grams of gas lol so put 600 grams back in and air-con started working really well but tried it over the next few days and does not get cold at all so if any one has any ideas as where to go next Thumbs Up

Post #527063 Mon May 29 2017 5:37pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Mine is not as cold as it normally is and also there is a clicking noise from the front of the car which i haven't noticed before! SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #527249 Wed May 31 2017 4:44pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've had my car just over 5 years and its been absolutely fine up until a couple of weeks ago and a sweaty drive back from Wales - likely coincided with hotter weather (25 deg o/side). Popped into KwikFit and its all working lovely again Thumbs Up

I can imagine that it wasn't touched before I got it either, so 10.5 years between fills. I leave it in Auto all the time.

Post #527411 Fri Jun 02 2017 8:25am
SRE

Spain 

TDV8HST wrote:
Mine is not as cold as it normally is and also there is a clicking noise from the front of the car which i haven't noticed before!

Does the clicking noise change with RPM or does it stay more or less constant. Question In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #527412 Fri Jun 02 2017 8:35am
SRE

Spain 

Tim in Scotland is 100% correct, Modern systems do not cost that much to run, if you are turning it off to save a few pence, then best sell your Sport.
These cars have Climate Control, just leave it on Auto all year round, start off by trying Auto at circa 23°C

I remember on 38A/(LP) Range Rovers the Climate control came on by default, you had to make the effort to turn it off. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #527413 Fri Jun 02 2017 8:41am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Leaving it in Auto is also good for the various electronic black boxes dotted around the interior, the audio and satnav - the RRS system also de-humidifies the interior so they do not get affected by condensation/ damp which will eventually happen if you switch the system off. There is a big problem now in L322 FFRR's where the owners haven't run the Climate Control for whatever reason - the sat-nav and audio systems in them are mounted behind the side panels in the boot area and it is a known problem that if the Climate Control is not run all the time there is quite bad condensation forms behind the panels, drips down onto the electronic units and they go bang. Apart from running the climate control all the time the "Fix" for this in L322 is a recycled ice cream container that fits neatly over the top of the units to prevent water drips getting in. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527414 Fri Jun 02 2017 8:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Hi SRE as it just started i,m not sure and have not used it since. Its going in monday to get checked , they think it just needs gas .
Puff what did they charge ? tia all. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #527447 Fri Jun 02 2017 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1