RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TDV8 alternator - it's my turn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
TDV8 alternator - it's my turn

Jumped in last night and after less than a mile - battery symbol lit up. Quickly turned for home and lifted the bonnet to investigate. There was a distinct smell of burning - (very similar to the smell of a burnt out computer PSU) Rolling Eyes .

I disconnected the battery to avoid further damage and had to resort to using my weekend toy to tackle the M1 and North Circular Big Cry
Something I usually try to avoid on account of the appalling standards of driving in North London.

I've ordered a replacement new OEM Denso alternator (LR 010514) from Advanced Factors (£210.90 delivered). Also the rather beefy looking viscous fan coupling removal spanners from PowerfulUK.

Question remains - do I tackle this notoriously difficult and unpleasant job myself or pay my local independent? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #526687 Wed May 24 2017 3:30pm
GodivaNige

England 

The same happened to me a few weeks ago. I bottled it and paid for my local indy to do the job. It took them 5 hours and I was charged £520. Without doubt, the most expensive alternator replacement I've ever paid for Rolling Eyes
Like you, I nursed the car home once the light appeared and then disconnected the battery. I charged the battery using a smart charger the night before the car was booked in for repair, then drove it to them with every unnecessary ancillary switched off. On arrival at the garage, the battery was disconnected again until the mechanics were ready to do the work.
Quite a nervy 10 mile drive that morning, had visions of being stranded en route... all good though and the car made the journey with no issue.

Post #526694 Wed May 24 2017 4:15pm
hannez82

Sweden 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I've recently done this on my tdv8. The manual states a number of steps that weren't necessary. The two lower bolts are a pain to remove, I had to modify a number of 13mm sockets to be able to release them. Besides from that there wasn't really any trouble once you figure out what parts to remove and how.

Best regards, Hannes

Post #526830 Fri May 26 2017 10:10am
Paddi

Thanks all,

I have received the alternator so making a start today. Will let you know how it goes. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #526833 Fri May 26 2017 11:06am
Andy d

United Kingdom 

ive done 2 they come out of the side you need to remove arch liner fan stays in place quite easy took me 3hours

Post #526839 Fri May 26 2017 3:31pm
Paddi

So far removed the wheel arch liner, lower splash shield, airbox and fan cowling and one turbo pipe. Top alternator bolt is easy but the two lower ones can't be accessed unless two lower turbo pipes are removed?

I don't get how you can do it without touching fan. Maybe​ it is possible to take tension off the drive belt but not sure if I can reach the tensioning pulley.

Off to a meet tomorrow morning then might tackle the next bit in the afternoon. Taking a few pictures as I go so will try to post up a DIY guide later. Assuming success that is. Confused 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #526842 Fri May 26 2017 5:52pm
hannez82

Sweden 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The fan doesn't need to be removed. You can reach the tensioning pulley with a socket wrench.

Regarding the two lower bolts.

The one to the front:
I bought a 13 mm wrench, shortened it, and drilled a hole in it so I could mount it to a slide hammer.

The one to the back:
I managed to release this one with a wrench looking like this:
http://images.biltema.com/PAXToImageServic...6_xl_1.jpg

Post #527020 Mon May 29 2017 9:50am
Paddi

Finished the alternator replacement yesterday.

I see now what you mean about not being necessary to remove the fan but I did remove it! Fan came off very easily luckily.

Managed to remove the lower bolts just using a 3/8 drive socket ratchet and 13mm socket. The trick was to undo and remove the nut holding the nearest turbo pipe and then pull it off the stud and move it down. That created just enough room to get the socket in but it is very tight.

One of those jobs that is difficult the first time you do it and probably a lot easier the second time. Satisfying though - and saved a few hundred pounds. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #527039 Mon May 29 2017 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1