RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > When best to buy used?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
When best to buy used?

Hi folks

My wife has been badgering me for some time about getting rid of our P38 and buying her a used Evoque. While the P38 is our main workhorse and ticks all the boxes for us she has started a part time job so the Evoque is starting to look more attractive with fuel economy, probably easier nipping into tighter parking spaces etc. aswell as I'm finding I'm spending more and more time fixing things....
Initially I was thinking of a 2007 on FFRR, but she wants an Evoque!

So what I'm wondering is with the September number plate change, is it best to hold off until the trade-ins come in, or buy before? 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #531623 Sat Jul 29 2017 7:25pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Some cracking deals on brand new Evoque/Disco Sport just now

£500 deposit and £329 p/m for an entry level Evoque, or £350 p/m for the equivalent DS, providing spec/toys are not a huge priority Thumbs Up

We couldn't PCP a 4yr old one for that price...

Post #531626 Sat Jul 29 2017 7:39pm
insiorc

After reading the above, just for fun I went on the LR site, chose the first basic Evoque and with a £500 deposit and the standard 37 months it came up with £500 per month payments. How do you find figures like that?

I was initially looking at a cash buy hoping to stay within £25k but willing to go up slightly for an Approved one, I've never really understood any of this PCP or leasing as although the figures look good at face value, I can't help but be suspicious of getting screwed over with some hidden stuff. So I always previously bought cash, but with those figures I might need to read more on how PCP's work.
The other thing is I tend to keep my vehicles a while, or at least until my wife crashes them (except my recent XF, I managed to trade it in for my RRS before she managed to crash it Laughing ) 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #531631 Sat Jul 29 2017 9:24pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I imagine that there's some money off available which isn't shown on the website.

If you up the deposit by 10% of the RRP (that's what we got off our Evoque) you might get to that sort of figure.

Post #531633 Sat Jul 29 2017 10:56pm
Disco_Mikey

I went via the dealers own website, not JLR Thumbs Up

Seems they have finished their offer now, and it's a £2k deposit...

Post #531637 Sun Jul 30 2017 3:34am
Disco_Mikey

Or, if you want to go down a different route than the main dealer...

https://www.synergyautomotive.co.uk/land-r...PsQAvD_BwE

£2.5k deposit and £300 pm

Post #531638 Sun Jul 30 2017 3:37am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

PCP works simply by only financing a smaller portion of the overall cost plus some interest. Beware the %age rates and avoid the add on Censored of paint protection, wheel insurance, gap insurance etc.
Get Gap insurance from ALA = miles cheaper.
I've researched PCP to death and now both our main cars are on them. Happy to advise anytime over the phone Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #531640 Sun Jul 30 2017 4:35am
insiorc

I've had a play with some PCP numbers and it seems to make it easier to 'afford' a newer car, except as you never actually pay for all of it all I can see is that you get suckered into having to change it due to probably not having saved for the remaining GFV. Or hand it back and start from scratch again. It seems like a very expensive way to [never] own a car as the interest is charged for the duration on the full loan amount, a large part of it which never gets paid off until the end of the deal. At the moment I think I'll stick to what I understand, but it is interesting, especially how it kind of protects against an unexpected depreciation.

But back to the original question, does anyone know if there is normally better deals just before or after a new registration plate date, i.e September or March (maybe not clear in the original post)? Maybe there's no difference? 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #531641 Sun Jul 30 2017 5:43am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
It seems like a very expensive way to [never] own a car as the interest is charged for the duration on the full loan amount, a large part of it which never gets paid off until the end of the deal.

A bit like endowment mortgages, it seems to me. If you don' have a way to pay off the lump at the end you end up with nothing. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #531643 Sun Jul 30 2017 7:51am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Simply buy the car at the end with cash or a cheap Tesco loan at 3.3%. There is no way I could have bought mine with cash! Simply don't have £36K lying in an account anywhere Whistle Rolling with laughter
Remember you can trade it in early and get another. Best to go over 50% loan period time at minimum.
PCP works for me but cash rich folks have other options Wink Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.

Post #531675 Sun Jul 30 2017 1:34pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

insiorc wrote:
But back to the original question, does anyone know if there is normally better deals just before or after a new registration plate date, i.e September or March (maybe not clear in the original post)? Maybe there's no difference?

I would get in there asap after 1st September to have a good look at what they have taken in as an exchange and offer them as they will have more stock than they know what to do with. Only thing with September is this mysterious sudden demand for 4x4's in the run up to winter, so maybe March would be better when people want sporty coupes and cabrios and not big SUVs. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #531686 Sun Jul 30 2017 4:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
insiorc

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I would get in there asap after 1st September to have a good look at what they have taken in as an exchange and offer them as they will have more stock than they know what to do with.

That's the bit I wasn't sure of, if they'd discount better after due to excess stock, or better before due to people waiting for a new registration number so slow sales.
Just nipping past dealers isn't so easy with where I live so are they likely to know in advance what is coming in as trade in? Is it worthwhile phoning them to let them know what I'm (she's) looking for as I'm guessing they'll send many trade ins off to auction. I'm thinking this might keep the price high though as they'll know they've a customer with less choices.

DrRob wrote:
Simply don't have £36K lying in an account anywhere Whistle Rolling with laughter

I'd be the same, but I got my foreign tax days in again last month, so money no longer needing to be kept to support our workshy Censored Very Happy

And after a bit of further reading on here on these PCP's I see better discounts can be had on the purchase, but probably best with new vehicles. So even when buying used is it better to take a finance deal as the dealer will be getting his commission so hopefully discount better, and then I pay off the finance right after? Or does it not work this way? 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #531888 Wed Aug 02 2017 4:55am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

You can pay the finance off quite quickly and its a way some people use to leverage greater discount by using LR Finance to do that. I think there is a thread on disco forum about this (perhaps search for PCP over there?)
I've let my PCP run for 2 years (~50% through) and just this week taken a 2.8% TSB loan (compared to 8.3% with LR) and will buy the car outright. Means I will pay it off earlier and save about £3K Thumbs Up
It also means its easier to sell it privately if I decide to change sometime...E Pace looks a nice motor Whistle Visitor from fullfatrr.com

Post #531891 Wed Aug 02 2017 6:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1