Home > General > First run
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sonny007

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
First run

Hi,

Thought I'd write this here.
Took my RRS MY2010 AB TYDV6 for a 400 mile journey today. Motorway driving was good and comfortable. Overtaking and active cruise control were all on point

I did a little country driving and noticed body roll on bends (this was normal driving mode). I was having to slow down before approaching bends as I felt the car was going to flip.

Maybe its just me as coming from E60 535 (which had sheer amount of torque and I loved throwing it about in corners) and attempting to do same with RRS. Given today was just the 3rd day of ownership and is just a transition period

Switched to dynamic mode and felt the ride stiffen up and alot less body roll.

I read my cars build sheet and spotted 'ACE SUSPENSION'. Should I be concerned?
Where can I check for leaks on my car, or just generally inspect the ACE components?

Feeling paranoid, but I want to get any possible failing parts rectified by the dealer.

Sonny RRS Autobiography TDV6 MY10

Post #526461 Sun May 21 2017 1:54am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

You would know if ace was leaking. Red light would be on

Just get used to the car first. And gain confidence slowly

Post #526463 Sun May 21 2017 7:52am
ilard

United Kingdom 

I switched from an XKR and life was very strange at first. The TDV6 is surprisingly chuckable but, really, it's made for cruising. And it does it brilliantly. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #526464 Sun May 21 2017 8:18am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC ACE is what reduces the amount of body roll in L320 RRS, it is linked to the Dynamic Response system. In L494 RRS it is the Dynamic mode of the TR system and does the same job but also changes the steering map (L494 has electronic "power" steering) to weight up the steering and it changes the suspension map so it changes the settting more frequently and stiffens up the ride a bit. If you had a saloon car previously then it stands that you were used to a car where the CoG was much lower - in your RRS the centre of gravity is about the height where the rood is in a saloon car so yes the car will tend to roll more, hence LR developing Dynamic electro hydraulic suspension systems - they also enhance offroad performance and can give additional wheel articulation when it is called for. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #526467 Sun May 21 2017 9:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Your RRS is a fully offroad capable SUV, it is not a sports saloon. The CoG is higher - not quite as high as Tim suggests but it is higher than you're used to, after all, it will go cross slope of nearly 45 degrees (you wouldn't get that far as it really would feel like you were about to flip over then and you would back out first!). It has long travel suspension to allow it to go off road. This means body roll is noticeably more than a saloon. This is not a bad thing, however.

Your RRS is fitted with a pair of hydraulically actuated anti roll bars. These are computer controlled and act to limit roll. Up to about 0.4g lateral acceleration (when at speed), the system resists roll by putting an opposite force through the anti roll bar. Above 0.4g, roll builds as one would expect. If you felt that the roll was such that you feared "flipping over" then I would suggest that you were going pretty quickly! The vehicle also has several systems designed to mitigate against rolling over although they can't defy the laws of physics. In normal road driving, you will understeer long before you get to tip-over roll. If you're turning so hard that DSC kicks in then you need to slow down anyway.

The other thing to remember about driving the RRS is that it isolates you from the road and hence from some of the feelings of speed. The suspension absorbs the road surface well and the cabin absorbs road and wind noise. You're also sitting higher up which reduces the feeling of speed. All of this means you can be going at silly speeds without being aware of it.

Always remember - the RRS weighs 2.5 tonnes so if it starts to go wrong it will take a lot of room to sort it out. If you can't sort it out then it will make a big hole in the scenery - or anyone unlucky enough to be coming the other way at the time.

Take time to learn the vehicle and you will be surprised at what it can do - both on road and off. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #526473 Sun May 21 2017 11:04am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Good job you never drove in one of the original Range Rovers or a possibly a 2CV? The body roll on them was very scary indeed Shocked Laughing

Whilst there is some body roll, once you get used to it, then its nothing there at all. I can hustle very quickly along the twisty As & Bs in my part of Wales & it would take another spirited driver to keep up. It feels totally safe and sure footed, even on AT tires and there's the security of cracking Brembo brakes to lose any excess speed. The only thing that lets it down is the lack of oomph in my TDV6 when powering out of corners. Find a couple of clear roundabouts and have a play going through, the car is really very nimble and if you do over push it, there'll be a bit of understeer. Enjoy!

(RRSTDV8's warnings are also well to heed)

Post #526483 Sun May 21 2017 12:34pm
sonny007

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I think I'm still transitioning from my 535 to RRS.
At times it seems like you're doing 30 but actually going 50MPH! and on motorways, doing 70MPH feels like you're only going 45-50MPH

Need to get more use to the RRS. excellent and comfortable all round. No need to hoot horn at Wink as visibility makes its very easy to ...

appreciate everyones feedback RRS Autobiography TDV6 MY10

Post #526498 Sun May 21 2017 8:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1