RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Vehicle security and key programming
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

anthony-apl

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Vehicle security and key programming

As some of you know I own a locksmiths and aswell as domestic and commercial customers we do a lot of key programming to vehicles when keys are lost or stolen.

I have today received an email from one of the key programmer manufacturers about JLR vehicles following on from a few security issues.

It is worded as follows.

JLR have identified a security vulnerability in the keyless ignition function and are now recalling all vehicles manufactured from 2013 to 2016 back to the workshop for a security update.

Attempting to program keys on these vehicles using ADS207 after the dealer update has happened, permanently disables the proximity function and the KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module) must be replaced.

Land Rover Evoque 2013+
Freelander 2 2013+
Range Rover Sport 2013+
Range Rover 2013+
Discovery 2013+
Jaguar 2013 + All models

Please note: if the 10th digit of the VIN number is the letter 'D' or later, please do not attempt to program keys.

We have added a screen prompt to all pro testers alerting the user that says...

'Attempting to program keys to this vehicle may result in permanently disabling the vehicle's proximity function' 16 model year yulong white autobiography
Bentley continental GTC
2011 VW Transporter T5 Kombi 140BHP with sport line kit for work

15 model year black RRS HSE gone
11MY Fuji White 3.0 TDV6 HSE
Ivory premium leather
Ebony contrast stitching
Extended leather pack
Anigra Wood now gone

08MY Range Rover Sport TDV6 GONE

Post #481429 Tue Dec 01 2015 10:52pm
Farmer Chalk

Good! Very Happy

Post #481433 Tue Dec 01 2015 11:09pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Yes, it also means that if you lost a key and wanted to have a new key programmed to it (even by LandRover) you will need to replace the KVM in order to do it...

So all the second hand market sales that end up with one key, it won't be so easy to get another one in the future. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #481441 Wed Dec 02 2015 12:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

Unfortunately that is the price we have to pay for a small number of so called 'locksmiths' in the industry who were quite happy to sell devices to unscrupulous people without question...
it was a disgrace so called big names in the industry considered personal profit over the integrity of the profession. I'm afraid it is they whom should shoulder the blame of this current fiasco....
One in particular was quite happy to regularly appear on television slating the manufacturers and appear as a security expert yet behind the scenes was the sole importer of the type of device that we see giving us the problems today....

Whilst I understand the difficulties this places us all in regarding key loss this was the only answer to combat the issue. Unfortunately the numbers being taken had reached epidemic proportions in London and it was starting to spread across the country to other crime networks.

So in reality it's a small price to pay and personally gives me confidence that when I wake up in the morning my car will still be on my drive...

This in no way should be blamed at JLR....this is the sole responsibility of people manufacturing and selling those type of devices....

Post #481448 Wed Dec 02 2015 7:57am
Farmer Chalk

Smile

Post #481450 Wed Dec 02 2015 8:13am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Was it not arranged that LR would foot the bill for the KVM in the event a new key is needed? Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #481451 Wed Dec 02 2015 10:17am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I would have thought the onus is on the owner to look after their own keys properly. Which i agree with. We all know we put such things in a safe place, but it is usually so safe, we can't remember where we put them... Laughing Banging Head

Post #481457 Wed Dec 02 2015 11:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I am always amazed how people can lose car keys, the only safe place for the spare on is in the car owners manuel folder, I know this because I rotate my keys every 6 month to keep them both charged up. So if even you do have both keys when coming to sell/buy the car, if the spare is totally discharge and will not charge, that looks like it is going to be a costly repair 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #481701 Sat Dec 05 2015 12:58pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

Let me assure the only safe place is not the owners manual, in fact in many cases that is the worst possible place, as it would be in the glove box, and that would stop it locking....

Personally I find the home safe a good place for surplus keys, and overcome the "charge issue" by passing the spare to the dealer every time it goes to the garage.

Just saying Whistle

Post #481710 Sat Dec 05 2015 2:59pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Ahh, but my owners manual is in the house, no room in the glovebox Very Happy 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #481716 Sat Dec 05 2015 3:36pm
sonny007

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
Re: Vehicle security and key programming

anthony-apl wrote:
As some of you know I own a locksmiths and aswell as domestic and commercial customers we do a lot of key programming to vehicles when keys are lost or stolen.

I have today received an email from one of the key programmer manufacturers about JLR vehicles following on from a few security issues.

It is worded as follows.

JLR have identified a security vulnerability in the keyless ignition function and are now recalling all vehicles manufactured from 2013 to 2016 back to the workshop for a security update.

Attempting to program keys on these vehicles using ADS207 after the dealer update has happened, permanently disables the proximity function and the KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module) must be replaced.

Land Rover Evoque 2013+
Freelander 2 2013+
Range Rover Sport 2013+
Range Rover 2013+
Discovery 2013+
Jaguar 2013 + All models

Please note: if the 10th digit of the VIN number is the letter 'D' or later, please do not attempt to program keys.

We have added a screen prompt to all pro testers alerting the user that says...

'Attempting to program keys to this vehicle may result in permanently disabling the vehicle's proximity function'

Hi,

How secure are the MY10/11?

What measures can be taken to avoid thieving Censored s?

Wish we could chop off their hands like in the middle east. no more thieving! RRS Autobiography TDV6 MY10

Post #526388 Fri May 19 2017 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1