RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 5.0SC / SVR real world mpg and other Qs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Cooperman

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
5.0SC / SVR real world mpg and other Qs

I was close to ordering a 4.4 SDV8 but have just seen on our scheme at work that monthly pricing on the petrols has dropped significantly - presumably due to better RVs due to the tide turning away from diesel.

I'm now agonising over whether to treat myself to an SVR but a remaining nagging doubt is how often I'd have to fill the darn thing up. I know the tank is bigger at 105L, but I do 15,000 - 17,500 miles pa so how much of my life will I spend at petrol stations?

So, questions please:

1) What real world mpg do you get out of your SVR / 5.0SC and what type of miles do you do? I do 75% motorway miles (typically cruise at 80mph) / fast A road

2) If you turn the sports exhaust off, do you find the SVR still wafts along in a relaxing way? When I have Mrs Cooperman and our pet Whippet on board I'm unlikely to want to tear around like a hooligan Laughing

3) Anybody here choose the 5.0SC AB over the SVR? I do have a worry that an SVR could attract the wrong kind of attention, whereas an AB would fly under the radar

4) How do the SVR seats compare to the standard ones - still comfy; do you miss the pull down arm to rest your elbow on Rolling with laughter

Feels extravagant to be even considering this. But I know lots of people who have a sensible car and a bit of excitement (e.g. 911, Aston, R8 ...) tucked away for the weekend - hassle I don't want (garaging issues, running costs of two cars), so why not have practicality and performance all in one car?

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Post #525255 Thu May 04 2017 2:20pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Not an owner but I borrowed one for a week and it did not do more than 14mpg Rolling with laughter

I did miss the arm rest.

Post #525265 Thu May 04 2017 3:31pm
Perce

United Kingdom 
Re: 5.0SC / SVR real world mpg and other Qs

Cooperman wrote:
I was close to ordering a 4.4 SDV8 but have just seen on our scheme at work that monthly pricing on the petrols has dropped significantly - presumably due to better RVs due to the tide turning away from diesel.

I'm now agonising over whether to treat myself to an SVR but a remaining nagging doubt is how often I'd have to fill the darn thing up. I know the tank is bigger at 105L, but I do 15,000 - 17,500 miles pa so how much of my life will I spend at petrol stations?

So, questions please:

1) What real world mpg do you get out of your SVR / 5.0SC and what type of miles do you do? I do 75% motorway miles (typically cruise at 80mph) / fast A road

2) If you turn the sports exhaust off, do you find the SVR still wafts along in a relaxing way? When I have Mrs Cooperman and our pet Whippet on board I'm unlikely to want to tear around like a hooligan Laughing

3) Anybody here choose the 5.0SC AB over the SVR? I do have a worry that an SVR could attract the wrong kind of attention, whereas an AB would fly under the radar

4) How do the SVR seats compare to the standard ones - still comfy; do you miss the pull down arm to rest your elbow on Rolling with laughter

Feels extravagant to be even considering this. But I know lots of people who have a sensible car and a bit of excitement (e.g. 911, Aston, R8 ...) tucked away for the weekend - hassle I don't want (garaging issues, running costs of two cars), so why not have practicality and performance all in one car? .

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

A neighbour of mine has an SVR. You can hear it up to half a mile away. My 5.0SC still growls nicely when you boot it, but it's a bit more civilised for everyday driving.

Post #525268 Thu May 04 2017 3:37pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The front "Recaro" seats in the SVR look very similar to the set I had in both my Evoques and they were about the most comfortable seats I have had in any car and that includes a Volvo and 2 x FFRR's. Some people find the side bolsters on the deat bases a bit narrow/firm but I'm "well padded" and broader of beam than many and I could drive all day without getting aches and pains, only thing that might have made them even better would have been cooling as well as heating and also the arm rests mentioned above. I'll spare every one the better photo of the Tan set so here are the same seat in Ebony
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #525277 Thu May 04 2017 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lyonhead

Wales 

Perce, I owned a 2010 5 litre Supercharged RRS and now have an SVR.

1:I find the SVR better on fuel than the 5 litre, possibly due to the lighter body, and if you look through some threads on the forum you will find indicated MPG figures, so you have to allow fiddle factor and the like, of 29mpg on a run. This was on a Sunday from Edinburgh to Cheshire and then Cheshire to Cardiff on busy motorways. I find the quicker you travel especially around the 75-80 mark the fuel consumption is better. Obviously the first couple of weeks of ownership you'll be in single figures because you will drive it like you stole it just for the sheer grunt Laughing Laughing

2:The exhaust valves will be closed unless you open them via the switch on the centre console or go above 3000 rpm where they open automatically, but, the car runs quiet enough if you want it to. I personally have them open all the time, why wouldn't you Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Laughing

3:I can only compare to the 5 litre I had and it's a massive difference in performance, unreal to be honest and messes with your head trying to work out how such a car goes down the road. As to standing out, only the initiated will notice that you drive an SVR, others will not, obviously without the engine running but a soon as you start th engine it's a dead giveaway Laughing

4:I had a bad accident and have a very bad back and find there is plenty of adjustment and support from the seats and have no problem driving hundreds of miles. The sides can be altered to hug you and there's plenty of lumbar adjustment for upper and lower back and then the normal adjustments such as rake and base. The seats ONLY come heated but not cooled.
I thought I would miss the armrests but to be honest the middle compartment cover is large enough and does the job.

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to ask anymore questions...... I guarantee you won't be disappointed if you buy one though Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #525282 Thu May 04 2017 5:15pm
Cooperman

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thanks for the input so far folks. I'm in the process of arranging to borrow one for a week, which should answer my questions, but any other input based on your experience of living with an SVR / 5.0SC would be appreciated.

Also anybody got a view on SVR vs X5M? You can get spectacular discounts on the latter (e.g. 100k motor with 1,000 miles on the clock for 80k). I have had the Bimmer for a week recently - it was fabulous in many, many respects, but I'm not sure I could live with the ususal BMW trait of slightly poor ride and the flippin thing tramlined quite spectacularly Shocked

Post #525285 Thu May 04 2017 5:49pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

SVR - Average 18mpg town / country roads.

I have the exhaust on 99% of the time but if you run with it off its like any other range rover and quiet until it goes over 3000rpm I think when the valves open anyway.

not sure what it would get on a motorway but I can see that 12mpg is possible if you drive like a fool.

Seats are comfy.

I don't think it stands out much more than any other Sport unless its blue or you have gone past them with your foot down which is one reason I like mine unless you know cars its a range rover to most. Still desirable car to a thief though either way.

BMW are a bit behind on toys and tech I think. I haven't driven one but did look at it and thought it wasn't special enough.

Post #525322 Thu May 04 2017 11:26pm
andymc

United Kingdom 
Re: 5.0SC / SVR real world mpg and other Qs

Cooperman wrote:

Hi There

So I've just reviewed all my trips over 100 miles (from the Remote App) and for each trip (A-Roads + motorways) they are between 25 and 28MPG. These are mainly trips from London to Manchester or London to Coventry (work stuff). Not hooning the car but pushing on where its safe to do so.

As for the exhaust - I love the sound of it but don't share with the neighbours if I can avoid it. So its off to start with and once out of town I put into sport mode. With it off - its perfectly pleasant for long cruises.

Interesting comments from Tim about the seats. I also find the side bolsters on the base of the seat a little to narrow. I have a '15 plate car. I had a 17? plate car as a courtesy car for 2 days and they were much better. The back of the seats (in both year/models) seem identical and very comfy. Never had an arm rest so don't miss it. SVR with a few bits from Urban and Glohh

Post #525323 Thu May 04 2017 11:47pm
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

GJW1 wrote:

BMW are a bit behind on toys and tech I think. I haven't driven one but did look at it and thought it wasn't special enough.

I would personally say the tech is far better in the BMWs, interior no, but tech is leaps and bounds ahead. But I think JLR have always lagged in this department.

Post #525325 Fri May 05 2017 1:36am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Not sure the tank is bigger (unless it has a 15 litre reserve?).

My real-world average (commute is 13 miles in stop/start traffic) is between 18 and 19 mpg. InControl shows this as 22/23.

I thought I would miss the centre arm rest but I don't - I just keep both hands on the wheel. Seats are fine (unless you are five-up and are in the middle of the back).

I can count on one hand the number of journeys I remember making when I haven't flipped the car into Dynamic Mode and the gearbox into Sport. Twisted Evil 

Post #525340 Fri May 05 2017 8:41am
alexv

United Kingdom 

Hi cooperman

I have the 5.0ltr sc and for me it was about my travel habits, I have a house in Scotland but I live near MK so we travel back and fore all year. I do 80mph all the way and approx get 27mpg and if I do 90mph this drops to 21mpg.

I went sc also because I have the rear seat entertainment and this is worth every penny imo as my wife and me share the drive and watch a movie each way to act as a diversion to the 9hr journey, you get can't that as an option on the svr.

I would have another 5.0 sc in a heart beat and I will NEVER go back to diesel ever!!

BTW the sound from my sc is just perfect it's plenty loud enough to make heads turn which is a lot of fun, also dynamic makes it louder which is great and not something mentioned often as the attention is all on svr and it's exhaust button, but the sc is no pussycat I can assure you!

If your local to MK your welcome to pm me and drop in to test drive mine if you wish.

Kind regards

Alex On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Current car MY15 Hse Dynamic
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #525341 Fri May 05 2017 8:57am
Lyonhead

Wales 

Alex,
Just a note, but you can watch films in the SVR on the centre console screen as it dual view. So the driver can't see the film playing but the passenger can and use the Bluetooth headphones as well.

Thumbs Up

Post #525345 Fri May 05 2017 9:11am
Canary

England 

Lyonhead

Thanks for info I have dualview in mine too, but I get motion sickness if I stare at that screen with the world in front wizzing past, so sitting in the back with tinted windows allows me to watch the headrest screen without incident.

Cheers mate

Alex MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #525353 Fri May 05 2017 10:00am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Cooperhead,

I bought my 5.0 SC in December 2014 and have averaged around 21.5mpg. Most of my driving is also motorway driving. As for an SVR, I have only driven one on a long test drive and it is a mighty impressive machine. It is still just about as comfortable to cruise in as the 5.0 SC but does have a split personality. Mine will be 3 years old at the end of this year and I have already decided to buy an SVR.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #525455 Sat May 06 2017 10:57am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Canary wrote:
Lyonhead

Thanks for info I have dualview in mine too, but I get motion sickness if I stare at that screen with the world in front wizzing past, so sitting in the back with tinted windows allows me to watch the headrest screen without incident.

Cheers mate

Alex

Have you bought the missus a chauffeur's hat to complete the job? Wink Laughing

Post #525456 Sat May 06 2017 11:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>