RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Tyre Pressures and Oil Level
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Welshian

Wales 
Tyre Pressures and Oil Level

Had my L494 for just a week and I love my new car, I am still getting to grips with all the functions available but when the service menu is accessed and tyre pressure readings is requested, what is the reading accuracy of what is displayed cos it isn't as the manual says, also when I try to read the oil level I keep being told not available. Am I doing something wrong? Embarassed

Post #524398 Mon Apr 24 2017 9:14pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Generally the oil level indicator will read once car has stopped, switched off and left for a minute or two, it then becomes available. Not sure if yours is the same method (as shown) as on L320, but someone will be along soon to correct if wrong. Whistle it should tell you in the car handbook supplied. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #524400 Mon Apr 24 2017 9:33pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Hi, same here regarding the oil although I usually have to leave mine switched off for about 10 mins before I can check the oil level.

With regards to tyre pressures there should be 2 readings. What they are set at and actual. Also you can only get a reading with engine switched off.

Hope that helps.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #524402 Mon Apr 24 2017 10:20pm
Lyonhead

Wales 
Re: Tyre Pressures and Oil Level

Welshian wrote:
Had my L494 for just a week and I love my new car, I am still getting to grips with all the functions available but when the service menu is accessed and tyre pressure readings is requested, what is the reading accuracy of what is displayed cos it isn't as the manual says, also when I try to read the oil level I keep being told not available. Am I doing something wrong? Embarassed

Hi, with reference to the tyre pressures, are you saying they are showing a different pressure to what should be in the tyre?? I recently was told by a Land Rover Support Tech that when your car is delivered to the dealership the tyre pressures leave the factory lower than what they should be and on the pre inspection by the dealership they should increase the tyre pressures to the correct level before handing over.
Also, the oil level can be checked as follows;

Hope you find this helpful Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #524403 Mon Apr 24 2017 11:11pm
wilf

I always thought that tyre pressures from the factory were set every high to avoid flatspotting while the vehicle sits around. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #524421 Tue Apr 25 2017 8:37am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Violetpiano wrote:

With regards to tyre pressures there should be 2 readings. What they are set at and actual. Also you can only get a reading with engine switched off.

I thought the latest RRS models permit tyre pressure readings whilst driving?

ie like every other car out there and many costing a fraction of the price of the RRS

Post #524538 Wed Apr 26 2017 1:25pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Johnski wrote:
Generally the oil level indicator will read once car has stopped, switched off and left for a minute or two, it then becomes available. Not sure if yours is the same method (as shown) as on L320, but someone will be along soon to correct if wrong. Whistle it should tell you in the car handbook supplied.

And level, ie. approximately horizontal.

Post #524543 Wed Apr 26 2017 2:53pm
Welshian

Wales 

Thanks for all advice, yes wait approx. 10 mins and oil level readings can be obtained, with regards to tyre pressures I got myself a pressure gauge and tested it against a calibrated reading in my local garage and would you believe it, that what is measured using the service menu is within +/- 1psi Shocked
Incidentally the readings for the front was ok, 33psi but on the rear one was 30 and the other 39psi. So much for the dealer checks Whistle

Post #524666 Thu Apr 27 2017 4:58pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Don't know if the bug has been fixed in the electronic dipstick, but mine has an incurable glitch that scares the living daylights out of me - "Lost communication with electronic dipstick sensor" appears in the dash frequently dealer has had the car a couple of times and "Sorry but we cannot replicate the fault and it isn't logged as a fault code". I'm no fan of unreliable electronics that cry wolf but when you are driving at speed and that one comes up it does make you slow down and pull over just in case ............. usual reboot after being stopped for a few minutes and it won't re-occur again in a trip. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #524715 Fri Apr 28 2017 7:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Welshian wrote:
Thanks for all advice, yes wait approx. 10 mins and oil level readings can be obtained, with regards to tyre pressures I got myself a pressure gauge and tested it against a calibrated reading in my local garage and would you believe it, that what is measured using the service menu is within +/- 1psi Shocked
Incidentally the readings for the front was ok, 33psi but on the rear one was 30 and the other 39psi. So much for the dealer checks Whistle

Hi,

You DO NOT have to wait 10 mins.

Simply pull the bonnet release, get in and press the start buttton (without your foot on the brake).

Press "OK" to clear any warnings ( including'bonnet open' )- once they are clear, do the oil check as normal but when it comes up "unavailable" press 'cancel' on the cruise control twice - hey presto - your oil level shows! Whistle

Allow for the oil being cold and don't forget to shut the bonnet!

You don't think the techs at the Dealer wait 10mins on every service do you? Very Happy

Scrumps. Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #524768 Fri Apr 28 2017 7:49pm
IRBails

Australia 

I also don't see the issue with checking when cold? Oil should be at the bottom and the level correct ? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #524793 Fri Apr 28 2017 11:29pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I suspect the scale is calibrated for "hot & no drain back".

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #524801 Sat Apr 29 2017 7:54am
wilf

After 10 minutes with a hot engine, modern thin oils will have drained down anyway I suspect. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #524875 Sat Apr 29 2017 9:49pm
IRBails

Australia 

scrumps wrote:
Welshian wrote:

Hi,

You DO NOT have to wait 10 mins.

Simply pull the bonnet release, get in and press the start buttton (without your foot on the brake).

Press "OK" to clear any warnings ( including'bonnet open' )- once they are clear, do the oil check as normal but when it comes up "unavailable" press 'cancel' on the cruise control twice - hey presto - your oil level shows! Whistle

Allow for the oil being cold and don't forget to shut the bonnet!

You don't think the techs at the Dealer wait 10mins on every service do you? Very Happy

Scrumps.

Get tip and it works M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #525326 Fri May 05 2017 1:41am
Rich

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Whatever happened to the dipstick! In my view this is taking things too far. It takes longer to check oil now than it did with a dipstick and you never actually see the oil so you have to trust the system. I also dislike the electronic handbrake. I much prefer to be able to "feel" the brake application as you pull the handbrake on.

I know it is called progress but some is unecessaary in my view.

Post #525357 Fri May 05 2017 10:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>