RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Noisy Window Wipers!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>

MDP

United Kingdom 
Noisy Window Wipers!

Is or has anyone else experienced very noisy/squeeky/irritating windscreen wipers Evil or Very Mad

Nothing infuriates me more than pointless annoying squeeks/rattles etc, but excessively noisy wiper blades - this is a new one! Even in heavy saturated rain, the blades kept squeeking & thumping down to a stop, before the return upward cycle and then i would get the squeek/judder at the pinnacle of the upward cycle. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

JUST WORK QUIETLY ... thats all I ask. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Last edited by MDP on Mon Dec 18 2006 12:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #3216 Wed Oct 12 2005 1:19am
Esoteric

My wipers were silent and commented to my girl how quiet they are and how much the rain sensing does such a great job. My dealer had the black carpet mats in a day along with the rubber ones and load space liner. Sorry for your woes...I think I have an exhaust leak. lol

Post #3218 Wed Oct 12 2005 3:34am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

MDP,

I had annoyance with wipers at the weekend, but I had just coated the windscreen in RainEx, and I think they were chattering because of that. It was pelting down all day and after about 40 minutes they settled down and now just wipe smoothly. Having said that, I've not been out again in the rain since so I'll see if they do this on every single journey.

Like you say, its unnecessary, technology is far enough advanced to be able to design and build a car with all these types of issues ironed out completely...BMW have been able to for donkeys years! L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3227 Wed Oct 12 2005 9:34am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

RRUK, I think you might have wasted your money on RainEx.......... I learned years ago that if you put it on windows with wipers on them it soon wears off leaving horrible smears that take a lot of cleaning off to get rid of them, it works well on side glasses or windows without wipers rubbing across them though.
Has anybody tried buying replacement rubbers for their wipers yet? Expect a hefty bill as at present you can only get them from your friendly local LR dealers who will be more than happy to rip you off because the wipers have an LR logo on them. In 2 years of RRTD6 ownership I never found any autoparts shops that had L322 RR blades in stock - fortunately my RR had the VIP service agreement which covered ALL running costs of the car except road tax and insurance................. so LR paid for the new wiper rubbers each winter!

Post #3229 Wed Oct 12 2005 9:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

Mine work extremely well too.. i dunno RRUK, i used to have a lot of issues with my Bmw wipers, they used to do exactly the same as is described above. I like how the rear wiper wipes when u stick it in reverse as well.

I hope a lot more generic stuff starts coming out like rubber blades that we can use from other outlets, i have a phobia of spending more money then required at dealers on services and stuff. As i bet we all do!

There are black carpet mats on Ebay right now for around £30 i think, was gonna buy myself a spare set, but realised i probably won't need them for at least a year yet.

I keep my eye on ebay all the time, to see what stuff is knocking round for the RRS, not much new stuff round yet, just SC bits, and over priced wheels etc, and some drawings of the RRS.

Post #3241 Wed Oct 12 2005 10:56am
MDP

United Kingdom 

I too keep an eye on ebay , has everyone seen these:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGE-ROVER-sport-su...dZViewItem

May be of use to somone 

Post #3243 Wed Oct 12 2005 11:16am
RRUK

Kam

Why will you not need the carpet mats for at least a year?

I made the decision that I wanted a set of mats (rubber more practical for me) from day one to protect the carpets, mats can easily be replaced, once your carpet is ruined, it's ruined.

The boot mat was also a VERY good purchase, I know it's a lot of money really but I've loaded the car up to the gills at IKEA twice now, taken stuff to the tip etc and I'm glad for it.

Anyone else notice who has the rubber mats that they completely missed the area in the centre tunnel, a place likely to get feet and crud on, I fixed this for 75p...pop into Wilko's, they have a simple flat rubber mat in their car section, I have just fitted it in the middle, edges underlapping the proper mats, fits like it was made to. Nice. I love simple and cheap remedies like that. (What I would have prefered is the RRS mats to have met in the middle like on the L322...why do they do things like that?..I'll never know.) Confused L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3246 Wed Oct 12 2005 1:16pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I think Kam has floor mats but was looking for next time round not to have to spend dealer prices.

I was also miffed that the rubber matts [ still waiting for carpet version ]didnt cover the entire rear floor area Crying or Very sad 

Post #3247 Wed Oct 12 2005 2:09pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Yeah sorry, probably didn't make it clear..
i have LR mats (came with car being an ex demo) know they will get covered in crud over the next 12 months or so, and when i saw these on ebay, i thought.. mmmm.. maybe worth it if i manage to wreck these ones, but im hoping there will be a lot more stuff around on ebay when this time comes.

Yeah MDP those are the wheels i was referring to, guy offered me £400 for my 19" HSE wheels, and said i could buy them off him (he had 5 in stock) for £600 a set, and that absolutely every man and his dog owning an RRS is changing their wheels to a 20" version, either Stormer/SC wheels, so why am i expecting them to be so much.

My thoughts are though, nah mate, i can get SC wheels from a guy through LR for £1600ish so would rather keep mine at that price and sell the SC ones over Ebay when im done with the car..

Plus im thinking, if i plough another 1.5k into the RRS, will it be an extra which will fetch more of a price come resale time? I have quite a high turnover of cars, as i tend to get bored and wandering eyes quickly.. so im sick and tired of loosing money on items when i stick them on cars which are 'apparently' not worth anything extra in the book come trade in.. but with the RRS im thinking it might be different, as the private market should still be strong with a healthy waiting list still, so it might be less painful..

Post #3248 Wed Oct 12 2005 3:03pm
Tim in Scotland

I found the carpet mats on my L322 RR were virtually indestructable....... got them covered in mud offroading and just hosed them off and hung them up in the garage to drip dry. When I got it really well bogged in a muddy bit I laid them out in a line to help traction, it worked and apart from a little patch of melted nylon on one they lived to see the hose again when I got home! Pity they were navy coloured and my Giverny Green Sport has the Aspen coloured carpets and Aspen hides with Ivory trim, navy would look a bit weird.
Anybody found a fully length rubber mat for the boot yet? All I have found is the LR one that covers the boot carpet up to the rear seats and no further forward.

Has anybody bought the Goretex Seat covers yet? I am about to go off out to the Hebrides for a week of windsurfing and tend to get into the car wearing a wet wetsuit. I have the covers from my last RR but they don't fit very well. Was wondering how much they cost as the RR covers were an unbelievable price. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #3266 Wed Oct 12 2005 11:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

Tim,

I am planning to get the official LR version of the seat covers later in the month before the shooting season starts. I don't fancy picking mud out of the Supercharged leather with a toothpick every sunday!

I don't know if these are made from goretex though, but I am willing to pay the extra for properly fitted items, none of the aftermarket seat cover companies are doing ones for the Sport yet. Plus they are also made to fit around the various in seat airbags, could be quite important. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3274 Thu Oct 13 2005 9:22am
kam100

United Kingdom 

What kind of shooting do you do RRUK?
I used to be in the Army Cadets at school, used to do a lot of live 5.56 fire around military ranges in the UK and was in the west midlands shooting team, we used to do competitions all the time, and even got through to the National shoot at Bisley where we showed the French and Canadians what for.. Used to really enjoy it, specially the run downs and falling plate competitions.

Also did indoor 2.2 Events, and got a Marksman level award from the Army for that, when we kicked a**se in a News of the World national competition.

Have always meant to get back into my shooting since leaving when i was 18, but the rules around private gun ownership and the licensing issues have meant i haven't had chance yet. (Plus never thought you could get the same buzz as firing off a full mag on fully auto from a Light Support Machine Gun).

What do you do then? Target, clay pigeon?

Post #3283 Thu Oct 13 2005 10:57am
MDP

United Kingdom 

This is great...... started off me moaning about noisy wipers and wow... we move onto seat covers, windsurfing,& now shooting. You dont get this down the pub. Wink

Maybe RRUK is off for a spot of game shooting with dogs Question 

Post #3287 Thu Oct 13 2005 11:44am
RRUK

I'll take it offline....this thread has been hijacked enough! L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3288 Thu Oct 13 2005 12:43pm
Tim in Scotland

What a wonderful, diverse forum we have, no boring old chat about oily bits here! Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #3290 Thu Oct 13 2005 12:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>