RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Hybrid discontinued
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Renaco

Germany 
Hybrid discontinued

Just for information, the Hybrid is now discontinued and will be replaced with a plug-in hybrid for MY18.
I wanted to place my order for my second Hybrid and my garage told me this.

I asked als LR Communications and they confirmed, but don't want to give more informations for the moment.
Assume from the information of the actual hybrids on road test, it will be a 4 zyl. petrol Hybrid.

Post #522452 Fri Mar 31 2017 6:23pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I think the MY18 Hybrid will be the first updated RRS model to appear and if looking at the new Panamera Hybrid is anything to go by then this may well be the one to have!

Post #522482 Fri Mar 31 2017 10:30pm
Renaco

Germany 

Lets see what comes. I am not happy with a 4 cylinder engine, as I want also power once the battery is empty... Wink

If they don't do it right and deliver the same underpowered and poor sounding engine solution like BMW offers in X5 40e and 740e, then I am ready to move to Porsche...

Or swap back to RRS V8 supercharged... Wink

Post #522507 Sat Apr 01 2017 8:47am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The Volvo T8 phevs sounds the dogs wotsits and I will be looking at them when I'm ready to change Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #522512 Sat Apr 01 2017 9:41am
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

I can understand why it was discontinued.
Wasn't a big seller for JLR and the battery only distance was absolutely pants.

Get used to 4 cylinders. Mist manufacturers are going this way, partly down to future emissions regulations.
Volvo diesels are now all 4vcylinders, which is a great pity as my XC60 5 cylinder is superb. Not sure what I will do when changing it Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #522513 Sat Apr 01 2017 9:49am
GodivaNige

England 

muddywheels wrote:
The Volvo T8 phevs sounds the dogs wotsits and I will be looking at them when I'm ready to change Thumbs Up

I had a look around one of these yesterday, on display at a promotional event in Leamington. Nothing particularly special on the outside but my God, the interior is sublime. Beautifully screwed together and a lovely lovely place to be.

On the way home, I followed a new Disco 5 (you see a lot of new model Land Rovers and Jags on the roads in this locality), for anyone with OCD (not that I have) following one of these will drive you nuts. The back end has no symmetry whatsoever and whilst this was the case to an extent on D3 and D4's, it seems more noticeable on the D5.

Post #522515 Sat Apr 01 2017 10:15am
mlines

United Kingdom 

I like 4 cylinders so much that i have 4 on one one side of the engine and another 4 on the other side 😀 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #522517 Sat Apr 01 2017 10:57am
Renaco

Germany 

[quote="warkman"]I can understand why it was discontinued.
Wasn't a big seller for JLR and the battery only distance was absolutely pants./quote]

A parallel Hybrid is not made to drive electric only for long distances, it is just to safe and re-use energy and deliver additional torque.
If you would have made 80.000 miles with it, like I did, you would understand more how great it is to get V8 power with less fuel consumption than all other Range Rovers. It is unbeatable the best Landrover I ever had.

A plug-in Hybrid is fine, but less simple for every day use and Long highway distances less economical.

Post #522548 Sat Apr 01 2017 5:36pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Filled mine up today - £34.75 for petrol over last 936 miles giving me my best mpg to date of 139.8 Cool

Even allowing for the £27 of electric used I think I got my permagrin back again Very Happy

Trying to keep it quiet in case swmbo realises how much we're saving compared to the RRS and spends it on more clothes Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #522559 Sat Apr 01 2017 7:28pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Renaco wrote:

A plug-in Hybrid is fine, but less simple for every day use and Long highway distances less economical.

I managed 34-38 mpg over a week touring in Feb away from electric - that seems pretty economical for a petrol compared to the RRS Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #522560 Sat Apr 01 2017 7:31pm
Renaco

Germany 

Fine for you and your driving style and maybe needs, but dosent help me... Wink, as you compare a total different car concept with the RRS. Made for economic results at low speeds (speed limit countries) and without the touring competence from a Range Rover.

Delivers your car V8 power?
Can it go on the German Highway 225 km/h safe and easy for long distances?
Can you have a smooth and fast autobahn ride loaded with 4 people and luggage (-adds around 550 kg) without air suspension?
Can it go serious off-road?
Does it look as nice as a range... Very Happy

All this I want and need 5-7 days a Week and that's why a plug-in Hybrid (with an empty battery after 25 miles) combined with an asthmatic 4 cyl petrol is on a tour of 400-600 km one way on heavy load 95% on the german highway less functional. It would burn 12 - 14 liters minimum to keep the car at 160 km/h.
That's why I need a economic and torqueful engine combined with a plug-in Hybrid.

I think it would be easy to offer a 4cyl. and a 6cyl V6 RRS Plug-In Hybrid for different user profiles, the future will change the heavy luxury cars anyway to 70% hybrid versions, Porsche understood and LR is following this direction.

Post #522569 Sat Apr 01 2017 8:40pm
warkman

[quote="Renaco"]

warkman wrote:
Wasn't a big seller for JLR and the battery only distance was absolutely pants./quote]

A parallel Hybrid is not made to drive electric only for long distances, it is just to safe and re-use energy and deliver additional torque.
If you would have made 80.000 miles with it, like I did, you would understand more how great it is to get V8 power with less fuel consumption than all other Range Rovers. It is unbeatable the best Landrover I ever had.

Well the buying public didn't agree. Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #522570 Sat Apr 01 2017 8:45pm
warkman

[quote="Renaco"]

warkman wrote:

So, what are you driving then? Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #522573 Sat Apr 01 2017 8:53pm
Renaco

Germany 

i drive still my RRS Parallel Hybrid.
If the new plug-in Hybrid is not as balanced as the Q7 Plug-In or the Cayenne Plug-in Hybrid in Performance, I tend to move to Porsche.

But my heart tells me I will stay anyway with LR, even if it's not perfect for my daily use, as I love the package and the Image and the LR community... Wink

Post #522583 Sat Apr 01 2017 9:57pm
Renaco

Germany 

[quote="warkman"]

Renaco wrote:
warkman wrote:

Well the buying public didn't agree.

Yes, the buying public is still far away from new technology if it's offered like LR is doing it. I needed to force my dealer to sell me a Hybrid, as LR wanted the cars not deeply in sales, they wanted to test the technology from ZF to build their own next generation "in house" with a better margin...

Post #522586 Sat Apr 01 2017 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>