RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Power Steering Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DrFox1969

Australia 
Power Steering Failure

I was driving to work this morning and stopped at traffic lights, so the start/stop system kicked in as usual. I lifted my foot off the brake to move forward, the engine fired up but the power steering was not working and the steering wheel would hardly turn.

What a disconcerting experience!! Luckily I was on the inside lane of a 3 lane straight road and as I was only 5 minutes away from the Land Rover service center I drove the car slowly and managed to negotiate a couple of turns using all my strength to turn the wheel. It took a 4 point turn just to get onto the service center car park as the wheel would only slightly turn.

I left the car running and showed the service center rep the problem. A technician came out and turned the engine off/on and the problem was cured but I was not prepared to drive the car until it had been looked at. Apparently there is a bulletin about this (although I cant see anything on Topix) with the problem relating to corroded terminals on the electrical system feeding the power steering module. The car is in the service center now and I am waiting for an update.

I post this message as a warning to other drivers. It is a very dangerous issue to have when driving, especially in such a heavy vehicle. I'm just glad the wife wasn't driving at the time. You may want to raise this with your service center.

I will post any more information once I receive it. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #525215 Thu May 04 2017 1:32am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine is about to go in for annual service in about 1 hour so will see if the local service team are aware of this - do you know if it only affects SDv8's or all Land Rovers with EPS? The service receptionist who called me last night to remind me that the car is in today also mentioned that there is a recall to carry out but couldn't say what it is! If I learn anything I'll post it. Interesting that they have a loan car for me too - a Seat Leon................ this is not something that I get offered usually (any form of loaner that is) so I wonder if they want the car in overnight to carry out whatever is due to be done. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #525217 Thu May 04 2017 7:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mlines

United Kingdom 

Thats really interesting. I have just purchased an MY16 RRS (SDV8 Autobiography Dynamic) and the exact same thing happened to me two days after purchasing.

Traffic lights with start stop kicked in, pulled away with no power steering. No indications on any display of an issue. Restarted the car and the problem cleared.

Spoke on phone to dealer who said there was not a lot they could do. However based on your information I will chase them up as its going in for them to look at a rattle from the brake pedal later this month. If you can get the reference number of the bulletin that would be good. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #525218 Thu May 04 2017 7:38am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Mine is about to go in for annual service in about 1 hour so will see if the local service team are aware of this - do you know if it only affects SDv8's or all Land Rovers with EPS? The service receptionist who called me last night to remind me that the car is in today also mentioned that there is a recall to carry out but couldn't say what it is! If I learn anything I'll post it. Interesting that they have a loan car for me too - a Seat Leon................ this is not something that I get offered usually (any form of loaner that is) so I wonder if they want the car in overnight to carry out whatever is due to be done.

Tim,

Not sure if this is solely related to SDV8's. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #525224 Thu May 04 2017 9:00am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Had an update from the service dept.

Car is fixed and ready to collect. Apparently they have done a software update and cleaned the electrical terminals to the EPS unit. The diagnostic showed a low voltage warning to the EPS.

I am collecting car in the morning so will post any reference numbers on the service paperwork.

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen when i'm doing 100kph on the freeway!!! 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #525225 Thu May 04 2017 9:04am
Tim in Scotland

I've just got home from dropping my car off for its service - I inquired about EPS issues and the service manager said there is no recall for it BUT they have had some cars reporting the problem and not just SDv8's but also SDv6's and not just Sports. The recall TSB my car is subject to is air air compressor software.
Interesting loan car - not the advised SEAT Leon but a 900 mile on the odo Jaguar XE 2.0 R Sport - apart from a very rattly engine on start up (9c here this morning) once warmed up it was very quiet and smooth and bags of power. Much better effort than a Seat. The local dealership has just added a Jaguar franchise and I must admit I would sooner have an XE loaner than one of their fleet of Seats or Fiats - at least it is one of the JLR family if not a Land Rover. One startling useless fact..... the trip average MPG for my 20 mile run from the dealer to home shows an amazing 67.5mpg, on the same run in the Sport the very best I have seen is 47mpg and the first 4 miles of the drive today was in stop start commuting traffic and because the engine was cold the stop/start system didn't kick in for quite some time. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #525226 Thu May 04 2017 9:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Is that the new Ingenium engine, Tim?

Post #525232 Thu May 04 2017 9:27am
IRBails

Australia 

Corrosion on terminals on the worlds best off road vehicle?? Loose cables underneath , steering rack in front of the axle instead of behind. So many issues missed I think the Land Rover boffins need a trip to Oztralia so we can help them build a proper vehicle. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #525238 Thu May 04 2017 10:04am
Tim in Scotland

Mikey, yes the 2.0D 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #525239 Thu May 04 2017 10:06am
mlines

United Kingdom 

DrFox1969 wrote:

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen when i'm doing 100kph on the freeway!!!

As I understand it the Power Steering is dynamic and adjusts to the road speed on all RRS. At motorway speeds you have virtually no power assistance at all whilst at car park speeds you have full assistance. Therefore if it did fail at speed you would probably not notice until you slowed down. You can simulate this by selecting Dynamic (on vehicles that have it) on the driving mode selector, the steering goes noticeably heavier at lower speeds.

I will see what the dealer says about mine in a couple of weeks. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #525251 Thu May 04 2017 1:50pm
matsoutback

Australia 

The steering rack is a Bosch unit, made in Germany for Land Rover. I would have expected there would be special attention to the installation requirement of this item due to the obvious safety ramifications. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #525313 Thu May 04 2017 9:58pm
DrFox1969

Australia 

Picked up the car this morning. Below is the details of the warranty work.

Click image to enlarge

Whilst it was in, the service department carried out a campaign to fix a service warning message error. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #525324 Fri May 05 2017 12:41am
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 
Re: Power Steering Failure

DrFox1969 wrote:
I was driving to work this morning and stopped at traffic lights, so the start/stop system kicked in as usual. I lifted my foot off the brake to move forward, the engine fired up but the power steering was not working and the steering wheel would hardly turn.

What a disconcerting experience!! Luckily I was on the inside lane of a 3 lane straight road and as I was only 5 minutes away from the Land Rover service center I drove the car slowly and managed to negotiate a couple of turns using all my strength to turn the wheel. It took a 4 point turn just to get onto the service center car park as the wheel would only slightly turn.

I left the car running and showed the service center rep the problem. A technician came out and turned the engine off/on and the problem was cured but I was not prepared to drive the car until it had been looked at. Apparently there is a bulletin about this (although I cant see anything on Topix) with the problem relating to corroded terminals on the electrical system feeding the power steering module. The car is in the service center now and I am waiting for an update.

I post this message as a warning to other drivers. It is a very dangerous issue to have when driving, especially in such a heavy vehicle. I'm just glad the wife wasn't driving at the time. You may want to raise this with your service center.

I will post any more information once I receive it.

Good afternoon DrFox1969,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this.

I would be more than happy to have this investigated or request that you are contacted should any assistance be required. Should this be the case please kindly provide your vehicle and contact details via PM.

Thanks,
Amellia Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #525588 Mon May 08 2017 1:10pm
IRBails

Australia 

Nice to see the company is reading the posts made by owners. This does impress me. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #525645 Mon May 08 2017 10:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1