Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > SAT NAV TRAFFIC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

peteH

United Kingdom 
SAT NAV TRAFFIC

Picked up my new 2017MY 10days ago, having had a 2014MY
Major problem with traffic info on sat nav which 90% of the time is saying no traffic info available even though it will always show on my phone. Car and phone both have EE sim so must be an issue with the car
Anyone have the same problem or know a fix?
Pete

Post #521561 Tue Mar 21 2017 5:20pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

You can enable traffic information in 'Features' and also in sat. nav. settings, but I get so much when I do that it's pointless. It doesn't tell you where they are and even in which direction, it's seems very random, and I drove five miles today and it was warning me about traffic problems ten miles away!? Confused You can also enable traffic information in DAB radio via what they call an FM Link, at least that's what it apparently does, but I've not heard any warnings so far.

Post #521563 Tue Mar 21 2017 5:33pm
peteH

United Kingdom 
Sat nav

Donny Dog
Thanks for reply, I agree the listed information is of no use. My issue which I didn't make clear is the red/green/black lining against roads on the map which 90% of the time are not appearing on car but do show on the phone app
I have not heard any traffic reports while on DAB radio either despite setting the link
Why in this day and age is this all limited to 3G
Tom Tom much better for £149
Pete

Post #521564 Tue Mar 21 2017 5:55pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Frankly, LR's SatNav/traffic info offering is beyond pathetic. I made this point in no unclear terms to their technical team a few months ago when I was invited to experience and discuss prototypes of some other features they are developing for future cars. Probably won't be invited ever again Laughing

I have given up on the built-in sat nav and use the Google Maps app on my phone for navigation. Very up to date traffic info, clever re-routing when conditions change mid-journey and extremely accurate ETAs. Saves me so much time driving in and around London! Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #521565 Tue Mar 21 2017 5:58pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

And when you think they want £169 just for a map update. Most others will provide a much better system, hardware included!

Post #521568 Tue Mar 21 2017 7:12pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

The thought of spending £60k (+/-) on a car and then having loads of wires dangling off the windscreen leaves me cold. However bad the built in satnav is, I'd prefer using it to the alternative...

Post #521589 Wed Mar 22 2017 6:55am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

^^ This is what prevented me from switching to Google sooner. In the end I decided that time was more precious and having the unsightly phone charging cable in my view (often needed as Google Maps drains battery fast when navigating) to avoid frustration was well worth it Neutral Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #521591 Wed Mar 22 2017 7:25am
Bill Portland

hafman wrote:
The thought of spending £60k (+/-) on a car and then having loads of wires dangling off the windscreen leaves me cold. ...

The thought of spending £60k (+/-) on a car and then having a crap satnav leaves me cold! Laughing

Post #521594 Wed Mar 22 2017 8:30am
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Sat nav

peteH wrote:
Donny Dog
Thanks for reply, I agree the listed information is of no use. My issue which I didn't make clear is the red/green/black lining against roads on the map which 90% of the time are not appearing on car but do show on the phone app
I have not heard any traffic reports while on DAB radio either despite setting the link
Why in this day and age is this all limited to 3G
Tom Tom much better for £149
Pete

If I've ever had different road lining colours, I've never noticed them! What are they and what are they supposed to do?

I had hoped the sat. nav. in the latest car would at least be capable of getting you to your destination, but it's already misled me several times. It can't even find my house Shocked - luckily I can just about manage that on my own! Laughing

Post #521595 Wed Mar 22 2017 8:44am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

If traffic is bad there is a red line overlaid on the road line with half an arrow at the end to indicate which direction is slow. Can't remember if there is an amber one too if conditions are less bad. This is from memory as they don't appear as often as they should and I haven't been using the built-in satnav much. Another issue I have with it is that on the rare occasion when it does know of traffic jams etc., it doesn't adjust the ETA accordingly. On a long journey it could be out by well over an hour! Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #521602 Wed Mar 22 2017 9:18am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

OK, thanks! I'll check next time I use it.

Post #521603 Wed Mar 22 2017 9:25am
Bill Portland

is the calculation of the ETA any better than on my 2012?

It seems to calculate ETA based on average speed so far into the trip. e.g. I set the satnav for a location that i know usually takes me 90 minutes to get to. after spending 5 minutes pottering out of my housing estate and little local lanes, it tells me the trip is going to take 3 hours. Then 5 minutes of fast dual carriageway driving and it tells me it'll now take 60 minutes to get there. It doesn't seem to take any account of the routes speed limits or incidents (even though they're shown on the TMC).

Post #521604 Wed Mar 22 2017 9:32am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I had exactly the same issue on my 2009 and 2013 Sports but strangely not every single journey. Frequent enough to be annoying though.

My current 2016 seems to have improved software and I haven't experienced the above issue. It still doesn't take traffic into account when calculating ETA despite TMC being on and even with the icon at the top of the screen showing amber or red. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #521606 Wed Mar 22 2017 10:03am
peteH

United Kingdom 

I had a 2012 old model then late 2014 new model-both had the old sat nav which although a pain to use worked fine
I like the pinch and swipe and improved mapping on the 2017MY but the routing is random and as mentioned traffic information hardly ever comes up on the map or side screen
I have the routing map on my phone and traffic shows here every time, so message in car saying info not available is a lie
My garage Lookers say nothing can be done!!!
My son has an F-Pace with the same system and his works fine
Wake up Land Rover

Post #521650 Wed Mar 22 2017 3:43pm
ianmo

United Kingdom 

On Thursday mine took me into the closed area of the A2 heading towards the Blackwall tunnel and had me sat in traffic for 2hrs Mad It just kept extending the ETA.

Post #521711 Wed Mar 22 2017 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>