RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Compressor Running Time (noise)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

JBJSY

Jersey 
Compressor Running Time (noise)

Hi all,
Any help appreciated.
Bought a 2015 RRS Sdv8 and all was fine. Dealer contacted me to say a recall on the compressor was needed so car went in this week, new compressor fitted and a new air suspension software added.
Collected the car and since then the compressor has been running 'a lot'. I was never aware of it particularly before. But now it runs for about 1 minute on start up and then cuts in during my commute on a few occasions. Parking my car it was running again and driving out of my car park - running again.
This was not happening before the compressor swap.
I returned to the dealer who said it was probably just a noisy compressor - which makes no sense to me. As i understand it, the system is sealed and once the system is up to the correct pressure, it shouldn't need to run unless there is a lot of ride height changes.
If anyone knows ROUGHLY how much time a compressor should run for, that would be helpful.
Look forward to views please. Car has done less than 10,000 miles...

Post #515976 Fri Jan 27 2017 10:23am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Could it be possible that there is a small leak where the apprentice assigned to do the job hasn't put in a washer/ O ring or nipped up a connection quite tight enough? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #515978 Fri Jan 27 2017 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChunkRRS

Scotland 

just my 10 pence but you mentioned new software added

could it be that they have coded the car to be a new spec with access mode that comes on automatically, maybe check if the car is going up in height when you start it up etc?

Post #515981 Fri Jan 27 2017 11:18am
JBJSY

Jersey 

Thanks for the comments...
So 'we' agree the compressor running a lot more, is not correct..?

I have looked for leaks, listened for leaks etc, but nothing i can see.
And the automatic access mode doesn't seem to be a function, but will double check.

Appreciate the comments. Thank you. Land Rover addict

Post #515986 Fri Jan 27 2017 12:26pm
Tim in Scotland

You have another route of investigation: contact Land Rover Customer Services through the section on the forum and ask the person to pass your message on to the technical people. The LRCS person will require your details and car details and the details of the issue which as you have only 2 posts so far you will have to do by phone or by email as you have too few posts to use the PM system (5 post required before you can use them), you also don't want to give name and address details + VIn in open forum.

You also could also resort to calling out Land Rover Assist as well, often they have more knowledge of issues than the dealership service bays as they get to deal with them on the ground so to speak. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #515995 Fri Jan 27 2017 2:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

At night put it in off road height and see if it drops at all. The longer you can leave it the better.

Post #515997 Fri Jan 27 2017 3:00pm
JBJSY

Jersey 

Thank you for your comments. I will try the off-road height over night and also email LR and see what comes back.
Just driven the RRS to a building site and back - and compressor ran for most of the journey - only about 4 miles. Land Rover addict

Post #516003 Fri Jan 27 2017 4:10pm
wilf

Definitely should not do that.

Mine runs very occasionally. And virtually silently, too. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #516041 Fri Jan 27 2017 10:06pm
wilf

A thought - could a faulty suspension height sensor make the compressor run constantly? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #516063 Sat Jan 28 2017 9:43am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

If the ride height is normal then it sounds like a leak, as Tim suggested. 

Post #516072 Sat Jan 28 2017 10:36am
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

On mine I have so far have heard the noise of parking brake working, gearbox parking selector motor working (all very faint from inside the car) and so on but have not heard the air compressor working so it certainly must be quite noisy for you to hear it working.
If there's no leak, maybe the new compressor is faulty and not being able to reach the rated pressure of 16.5bar.

Post #516091 Sat Jan 28 2017 1:22pm
JBJSY

Jersey 

Thanks again everyone.
I had a really good look last night and found a loose bolt holding the compressor down. By loose i mean finger tight.
So i nipped that up a bit and the noise had reduced, but the compressor is still running a lot.

I called Westover in Salisbury and spoke to an engineer who was helpful, but couldn't comment on how much a compressor should run. He suggested i try a back-to-back comparison with another RRS - easier said than done!!

By a process of elimination, i have concluded that if there is a leak, it must be between the compressor and the control unit tucked into the boot / rear wing opening. If it was the other side of the control unit, then the car would drop on its suspension - which it doesn't. So with fairy liquid and water, i searched for a leak, but found nothing. Or i guess the compressor itself could be leaking somehow.

The final question remains, how much would you expect a compressor to run on regular town / road driving....?? Land Rover addict

Post #516094 Sat Jan 28 2017 1:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Once the pressure is up to working pressure it should stop. Are you getting any warning on the dash that the compressor is overheating - that is usually a sign that it is running continuously for some reason or you have been raising or lower it a lot? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #516095 Sat Jan 28 2017 1:54pm
JBJSY

Jersey 

Thanks Tim - no warnings on dash. No lights. Westover suggested it would be easier to diagnose if there were warnings on. Fiar point! Land Rover addict

Post #516098 Sat Jan 28 2017 2:08pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Just read the workshop manual, it doesn't say any durations of working, but as system has a Air reservoir with 16L capacity, once the car has been raised it sounds like the compressor doesn't need to work until its lowered and raised again. I actually managed to raise the car to off-road height using the keyfob and that was done with the air from the reservoir so I tend to think that if there' no leak, then air compressor may not be working correctly, either not reaching the correct pressure or the required volume to fill the Air reservoir.

Last edited by udash on Sat Jan 28 2017 4:50pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #516099 Sat Jan 28 2017 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>